Downtube shifters - advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I shall soon be needing some braze-on downtube shifters for a 753 frame that I'm building up. (The bike will be running with just a 5 or 6 speed freewheel).

I'd like some good quality shifters - I'm not bothered if they are indexed or not (They are all I've ever used).

Unlike wheels or groupsets for example, I've always considered shifters to be 'much of a muchness' - but is that really the case ?

Can anyone recommend something suitable ? Are any more desirable than others ?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Grasen

Friction - SPIDEL were very stylish, MODOLO were carbon

Non friction - top SHIMANO were stylish, CAMPAGNOLO ugly, MAVIC were useless

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
pubrunner said:
Unlike wheels or groupsets for example, I've always considered shifters to be 'much of a muchness' - but is that really the case ?

No, it isn't. They all work, but cheap ones are flimsy and have a tendency to unscrew themselves in use, which is irritating. I was in your situation a couple of years ago and ended up getting a set of Shimano 105 off ebay. I think I paid about £12, and they've been faultless and a pleasure to use, as well as looking great. I would have thought a 753 deserved a bit of care & thought. I rather like these, for a sort of retro look (and SunTour gear stuff is always good) - or you couldn't go far wrong with these or these.

One tip - do make sure they will fit. Some fit a flat lug on the bike, others have a kind of concave face to fit the frame.

Good luck.

Top Bottom