Dr Who; What rubbish!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK so I am not a fan and really have not watched it since Tom Baker days. The new run started last night and I thought I would give it a go. Two reasons for this; Peter Capaldi is good and I could see him take the role and add a dark side to it and also most of my TV licence fee seems to be spent on this programme so I wanted to see what I had paid for.

What utter utter rubbish! Acting was OK and the effects were up to modern standards but the whole story, even allowing for the whole timelord-so-odd-things-happening fiction of the genre the story was just stupid and the events just made no sense.

Has it been like that for the last 30 years?

It seemed to be as if the writer had just got a big bucket of Dr Who clichés thrown them at a wall and called that the story.

Did anyone enjoy it?

D

Deleted member 23692

The first episode after a regen is usually pretty crap, so I wasn't too disappointed. But as there is finally a decent Dr with a decent companion it can't get any worse that the last couple of series

Lullabelle

Banana
We haven't seen it yet but looking forward to watching it, Chris Ecclestone was really good, David and Matt were given dodgy story lines to wrestle with so we will see

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Wasted an hour and a half of my life watching it last night. It will get a second chance next week to see if it picks up...

Peteaud

Veteran
We haven't seen it yet but looking forward to watching it, Chris Ecclestone was really good, David and Matt were given dodgy story lines to wrestle with so we will see

I agree, i really liked Ecclestone and David Tennant was good, in particular with Billy Piper as rose.

For me it lost the plot with matt whatshisname, so i watched the new bloke, and, its utter cr@p.

I might watch next week for the Daleks but.........Doubtful it will be much good.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I like Peter Capaldi so hoping that it's going to improve. The last regen, when Matt whatshisname took over was a bit crap - actually that whole series was a bit iffy. We'll keep watching and hope that Moffatt has written something better for the new Doctor.
Daleks again. Booooooorrrrrrrinnnnng They have been shockingly overused of late.

We are really hoping for improvement as my Godson is a huge Doctor Who fan (drives us dememted with his Matt Smith this and Matt Smith that) and thinks that Capaldi is too old. We gave him DVDs of the original series for Christmas :giggle:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I used to look forward to it every Saturday as a boy. Then I'd get bored and switch over to the 6 Million Dollar Man. Watched it die a lingering death during the 80s until I gave up on it. Ignored the Spielberg episode as an aberration. Was excited when it came back with Christopher Ecclestone and decent special effects. Then gave up on it again because of all the rubbish plots, rubbish science, and all the sexual right-on-ness of it all. At least this Peter Capaldi is the right age, even if he is Scottish.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OK so I am not a fan and really have not watched it since Tom Baker days. The new run started last night and I thought I would give it a go. Two reasons for this; Peter Capaldi is good and I could see him take the role and add a dark side to it and also most of my TV licence fee seems to be spent on this programme so I wanted to see what I had paid for.

What utter utter rubbish! Acting was OK and the effects were up to modern standards but the whole story, even allowing for the whole timelord-so-odd-things-happening fiction of the genre the story was just stupid and the events just made no sense.

Has it been like that for the last 30 years?

It seemed to be as if the writer had just got a big bucket of Dr Who clichés thrown them at a wall and called that the story.

I
recorded it for the same reasons and i havenet watched it yet , the vuelta took priority :smile:
I thought it was a kids' programme - my mistake obviously.
OT, I believe some adults actually read Harry Potter books too:whistle:
My wife thinks Barry Plooper is great , although she needs a walkthrough for video games aimed at 12 year olds ;)

Lullabelle

Banana
It must be good if it can divide so many people, yes it is meant to be a bit tacky and cheesy, don't take it seriously but at times it was just WTF???

I accept the genre and that it is Dr Who. But the things that happen must be for a decent reason and the plot tie up somehow.

Dr and Girl tied up in chairs. Dr gets out the magic biro thing (that seems to do anything they want to anything but somehow not be any use to kill Kryten's evil twin) but does not press the button on it. Instead he has to pass it to the girl, drop it, oh dear I cannot reach it, oh yes I can, girl gets it and presses the magic button that releases them. Why could the Doctor not just press the button?
Why did the evil Kryten bloke not make himself a face? The doctor located and used a whole face as a disguise in about 10 seconds. Did the folk of Victorian London not notice the man was walking around with only half a face?
The dinosaur was roaming around London (due to the Doctor bringing it) but that was completely forgotten and left to wreak havoc while they messed around looking for evil Kryten.
The doctor brought the Dinasor to London and the evil Kryten sorted out the problem but somehow the doctor was still the good guy.
I can accept the Lizard woman was there (could not see the reason for her being a Lizard) but the plot was just full of huge holes. Surely it just has to make sense and things be done for a reason?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
To me it would oh so much more better if he used the Malcolm Tucker character from 'The Thick Of It'
He pretty much did ...

The plot was very weak, and the character Capaldi played is not The Doctor, but if you can forgive it those two things it was enjoyable enough for me to give another episode a try.

Top Bottom