Dr Who; What rubbish!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Doctor Who needs more cyclists. Perhaps we could have some evil villain cyclists, who are actually aliens with an aversion to primitive internal-combustion fuel engines, who actually see bicycles as the superior mode of transport :biggrin:. Mmm... Jenna Coleman in lycra...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Loved it as a kid.

Trouble with this present embodiment is that it's trying to appear cool and hip (do people still say hip?) to a middle aged, middle class audience who like nothing more than to nod sagely to each other during the clever bits, and, as a result, it's disappeared up it's own backside! :tongue:

For gawd's sake, we're even supposed to emphasise with a ruddy cyborg trying to get to the promised land! ^_^

All this nonsense started with the death of Princess Diana, don't you know. All that outpouring of grief. Granny always said no good would come of it.

It has to stop!:stop:

The bad guys do bad things. The good guy comes to the rescue and wins out in the end; and everyone lives happily ever after!

If I want something a bit more existentialist, I'll read some Shakespeare, thanks all the same!

Where the hell is John Wayne when you need him? :cycle:

Having said all that, those old repeats on The Horror Chanel are truly truly awful! :eek:
I think John Wayne is still fighting the rebels in Civil War Era America, due to the lack of a Tardis. Him and Great Grandpa.

edindave

Über Member
OK so I am not a fan and really have not watched it since Tom Baker days.
It seemed to be as if the writer had just got a big bucket of Dr Who clichés thrown them at a wall and called that the story.

Have you thought about the fact that the writers/programmers have to cater for new viewers who may not have your experience of Tom Baker, and establish the character?

They weren't just waiting for you to tune in after 30 years and deliver your critique.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
062713loneranger-628x628.jpeg
WHO was that man:rolleyes:
Quite so..

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I thought when the movie came out in the 80's, they generated a lot of negative publicity by making Clayton Moore shed the mask, as the movie rights included all images past and present. Clayton Moore was still doing appearances as the Lone Ranger until then. I might add that The Lone Ranger was the first hit television show in TV, and put ABC on the map.

AndyRM

XOXO
I watched it for Capaldi. He's the best they've had since Ecclestone, but the bar was set so low that was never going to be difficult. David Tennant bellowing his way through a duff script in his Converse with an English accent was a joke. Matt Smith was a dullard who could have been easily replaced by a balloon with a face drawn on it.

I thought that Saturday's effort was pretty good. Chaotic and didn't make much sense, like back in the good old days. My main criticism of the show now is that they never seem to get off Earth, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
Far too much talk about 'accepting people for who they are and seeing behind the veil' talking quickly and hoping no one would spot the gaping holes in the story. Could have been so much better more story less trying to introduce the new Doctor and bring everyone back up to speed in such a short period of time. Clara is really annoying, Rose was the best.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
OK so I am not a fan and really have not watched it since Tom Baker days. The new run started last night and I thought I would give it a go. Two reasons for this; Peter Capaldi is good and I could see him take the role and add a dark side to it and also most of my TV licence fee seems to be spent on this programme so I wanted to see what I had paid for.

What utter utter rubbish! Acting was OK and the effects were up to modern standards but the whole story, even allowing for the whole timelord-so-odd-things-happening fiction of the genre the story was just stupid and the events just made no sense.

Has it been like that for the last 30 years?

It seemed to be as if the writer had just got a big bucket of Dr Who clichés thrown them at a wall and called that the story.

Did anyone enjoy it?

You miserable thing ! I thought it was great. Maybe not the very best episode ever but all round rather good - let's say upper quartile on the who-o-meter. The signature tune was a great improvement on the cheesy string music we've had for a bit (albeit not up to Delia's original which is unsurpassable), and the steam punk clockwork visuals were great too. Creepy Victorian London, and the lizard woman and her team being an "homage" to Holmes and Watson - loved it. Then a return of the clockwork robots, and you felt a bit of pathos for the lost and confused chief robot despite him chopping up more people than Hannibal Lector - after all he had honest motivations so to speak. Then we had the twist at the end setting up what will presumably be the series' back story.

Have you thought about the fact that the writers/programmers have to cater for new viewers who may not have your experience of Tom Baker, and establish the character?

They weren't just waiting for you to tune in after 30 years and deliver your critique.
I was not expecting it to pick up where I had left it 30 years ago. I did sit down with an open mind and really did want to enjoy it. I did expect (and did not get) a thought-out and quality story. Should I not expect this?
Nothing against the whole concept, the acting or the whole visual presentation, it was just a story that was full of just lazy clichés that did not fit together at all well.
As for the back story, there was quite a bit of that with side kick girl going on about him aging.
I was effectively a new viewer. I get the Dr Who idea and accept that but within the world they presented it was then handled badly. It was just poorly written.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dr Who started out well with the reboot, but it think it's problem it its success... everyone wants to be part of it, so we got that dreadful run in Tennant's early days when it seemed to become Celebrity Dr Who and the stories seemed less important than that week's celeb. These days it like it's written by a committee... the basic premise of this 1st episode was quite good, but who the feck wanted to bung a dinosaur and some sword fighting and a thick layer of sentimental pap in to it? It could have been better if they'd just stuck to the story instead of diluting it to cater for kiddies who like dinosaurs and sword fights. At least next week it's going to be a toy advert and therefore just as disappointing as this one... but i'll probably watch it. As far as i can tell, there's 3 or 4 good stories each series, which ain't a great average but hey, it's still better than a lot of the crap they put on the telly these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom