Dr Who; What rubbish!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I accept the genre and that it is Dr Who. But the things that happen must be for a decent reason and the plot tie up somehow.

Dr and Girl tied up in chairs. Dr gets out the magic biro thing (that seems to do anything they want to anything but somehow not be any use to kill Kryten's evil twin) but does not press the button on it. Instead he has to pass it to the girl, drop it, oh dear I cannot reach it, oh yes I can, girl gets it and presses the magic button that releases them. Why could the Doctor not just press the button?
Why did the evil Kryten bloke not make himself a face? The doctor located and used a whole face as a disguise in about 10 seconds. Did the folk of Victorian London not notice the man was walking around with only half a face?
The dinosaur was roaming around London (due to the Doctor bringing it) but that was completely forgotten and left to wreak havoc while they messed around looking for evil Kryten.
The doctor brought the Dinasor to London and the evil Kryten sorted out the problem but somehow the doctor was still the good guy.
I can accept the Lizard woman was there (could not see the reason for her being a Lizard) but the plot was just full of huge holes. Surely it just has to make sense and things be done for a reason?
Is Kryten moonlighting from Red Dwarf or have they just nicked his name. BTW doctor who lost its appeal in 76 when I discovered wages, pubs and women.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...octor-who-has-an-old-connection-to-the-series
I guess Peter Capaldi was quite the fan, back in the day.

stephec

Legendary Member
Dr Who for me is Tom Baker, I met him once when I worked in Manchester, every bit as eccentric in real life as he is on screen.

Christopher Eccleston was good as he was original, but the last two have been doing a very poor Tom Baker impersonation.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I accept the genre and that it is Dr Who. But the things that happen must be for a decent reason and the plot tie up somehow.

Dr and Girl tied up in chairs. Dr gets out the magic biro thing (that seems to do anything they want to anything but somehow not be any use to kill Kryten's evil twin) but does not press the button on it. Instead he has to pass it to the girl, drop it, oh dear I cannot reach it, oh yes I can, girl gets it and presses the magic button that releases them. Why could the Doctor not just press the button?
Why did the evil Kryten bloke not make himself a face? The doctor located and used a whole face as a disguise in about 10 seconds. Did the folk of Victorian London not notice the man was walking around with only half a face?
The dinosaur was roaming around London (due to the Doctor bringing it) but that was completely forgotten and left to wreak havoc while they messed around looking for evil Kryten.
The doctor brought the Dinasor to London and the evil Kryten sorted out the problem but somehow the doctor was still the good guy.
I can accept the Lizard woman was there (could not see the reason for her being a Lizard) but the plot was just full of huge holes. Surely it just has to make sense and things be done for a reason?
at least you paid attention :smile:

Garethgas

I liked Eccleston but the next two had me switching off after the first episode.
Poor acting with the pair of them hamming it up, over acting, shouting and constantly in a state of panic.
Cappaldi is a good actor and I'd been looking forward to him portraying a wiser, more sophisticated and sinister character.
What did we get?
A plot that seemed as if it was written by a Blue Peter competition winner.
I was also struck by the scene where the lizard girl gave the kiss of life to the other girl. A very close up and not so subtle shot of
two women 'kissing'.
It was unnecessary, gratuitous and blatant. It has no place in children's entertainment.
I will give it another chance purely because of Cappaldi.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was also struck by the scene where the lizard girl gave the kiss of life to the other girl. A very close up and not so subtle shot of
two women 'kissing'.
It was unnecessary, gratuitous and blatant. It has no place in children's entertainment.

Did you watch Torchwood? :smooch:

Personally i feel we live in an age in which, if it's OK to show two people kissing on the telly, it doesn't have to be a heterosexual kiss.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I liked Eccleston but the next two had me switching off after the first episode.
Poor acting with the pair of them hamming it up, over acting, shouting and constantly in a state of panic.
Cappaldi is a good actor and I'd been looking forward to him portraying a wiser, more sophisticated and sinister character.
What did we get?
A plot that seemed as if it was written by a Blue Peter competition winner.
two women 'kissing'.
I will give it another chance purely because of Cappaldi.
Spot the connection!

Julia9054

Guru
I've always found Peter Capaldi rather attractive.
Now he's Doctor Who this seems all kinds of wrong!
I'm confused!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I haven't seen it since I used not see it when I was hiding behind the sofa to frightened to watch it.

Edit: I did go to the ABC cinema in Harlesden with Joseph O'Conner from Goodhall Street, to see the the two Peter Cushion Dr Whos (Dr Whom?) The Daleks (1963), and Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. We skipped home from the second one down Harlesden High Street going " da...da...dididdeeeada...da da di da da.." ,so after him there was no one else that could be Dr Who as far as I'm concerned.

Garethgas

I haven't seen it since I used not see it when I was hiding behind the sofa to frightened to watch it.

Edit: I did go to the ABC cinema in Harlesden with Joseph O'Conner from Goodhall Street, to see the the two Peter Cushion Dr Whos (Dr Whom?) The Daleks (1963), and Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. We skipped home from the second one down Harlesden High Street going " da...da...dididdeeeada...da da di da da.." ,so after him there was no one else that could be Dr Who as far as I'm concerned.

Those films always puzzled me.
Peter Pillow was Susan (the little girl's) grandfather who invented the TARDIS, not a time lord.

Peteaud

Veteran
i have a remote control Dalek, who once tried to exterminate clarance the bear. Dont Ask :laugh:
Clarence & Dalek 003.jpg

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Loved it as a kid.

Trouble with this present embodiment is that it's trying to appear cool and hip (do people still say hip?) to a middle aged, middle class audience who like nothing more than to nod sagely to each other during the clever bits, and, as a result, it's disappeared up it's own backside! :tongue:

For gawd's sake, we're even supposed to emphasise with a ruddy cyborg trying to get to the promised land! ^_^

All this nonsense started with the death of Princess Diana, don't you know. All that outpouring of grief. Granny always said no good would come of it.

It has to stop!:stop:

The bad guys do bad things. The good guy comes to the rescue and wins out in the end; and everyone lives happily ever after!

If I want something a bit more existentialist, I'll read some Shakespeare, thanks all the same!

Where the hell is John Wayne when you need him? :cycle:

Having said all that, those old repeats on The Horror Chanel are truly truly awful! :eek:

Top Bottom