Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That would make sense, but now such entities are usually separate. And by that reasoning why isn't the car repair workshop called the petrol station?
Because it's primarily a Garage. We stiill have two in the village. They each have a couple of pumps, but most of their work nowadays is servicing. When I were a lad 'petrol stations' were rare. 'Service stations' were unknown. If you needed food you looked out for a transport cafe.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can confirm that this is the one i dislike the most.:banghead:

But in N America, the "t" in the middle of words is rarely pronounced as a "t" (Toronto is pronounced "Torrono"). That's an accent thing, not "slovenly" speaking. So why can't we consider losing the "t" in "Everton" as an accent development too?

classic33

Leg End Member
But in N America, the "t" in the middle of words is rarely pronounced as a "t" (Toronto is pronounced "Torrono"). That's an accent thing, not "slovenly" speaking. So why can't we consider losing the "t" in "Everton" as an accent development too?
Is Toronto in America?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You're all a bunch of reactionary old tarts.
Shocked.jpg

Maybe because this is still Great Britain and we would prefer to speak properly
giphy.gif

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4808551, member: 259"]my grandad was told off as a kid for calling an adult he didn't know "thou". "Don't thouthee me tha young bogger!"[/QUOTE]
Aye, 'appen.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4808551, member: 259"]my grandad was told off as a kid for calling an adult he didn't know "thou". "Don't thouthee me tha young bogger!"[/QUOTE]
Bit like thassen an thissen

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

No, sorry. My company (Delta) is based in Atlanta, and of course all my U.S. colleagues pronounce those as "Delda" and "Atlanna". I pronounce them as "Delta" and "Atlanta", and those colleagues seem to find that really charming and "English". I'd rather keep those differences, and I suspect my colleagues rather enjoy the differences too. (We Josh each other over accents and "football" a lot). I'd hate for us to become one conglomerated, glottal homogenization.

Last edited:
Top Bottom