Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I absolutely hate text speak. Lazy and from adults it comes across immature. Don't get me started on colleagues using it in email. Drives me mental. I cringe when I see crap like 'b4' 'm8' 'lol' 'bcus' .... :gun::gun::gun::gun:

I had a technical document submitted for approval once that kept referring to "2B" architecture. Naively I asked where 2A or even 1A architecture was documented. I'll let you guess the punch line. <sigh>

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We've Bus/Coach Terminals & Airport Terminals.
So we do (so why not 'plane stations'' or 'bus ports'?) We have Railway Terminus too, but not 'Train Terminus', yet. I'm sure it will come ......

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Given that I'm a firm believer in the evolution of language, the primacy of communication, and the futility of attempting to insist that the language one grew up with is 'correct' and all change for the worst, why, when someone behind a bar calls me 'buddy', do I have such an overwhelming urge to poke him in the eye?

Given that I'm a firm believer in the evolution of language, the primacy of communication, and the futility of attempting to insist that the language one grew up with is 'correct' and all change for the worst, why, when someone behind a bar calls me 'buddy', do I have such an overwhelming urge to poke him in the eye?
It's because your inner curmudgeon wants you too. I have an inner, well in truth, an outer curmudgeon, too. I recognise it for what it is though which enables me to grapple it down, mostly.

Tin Pot

Guru

Because you're a sociopath.

Dropping the letter T in words annoys me. I hear people under 30 do it mostly. Be''er(better) bu''er(butter)ma''er(matter)are a few examples. Now i expect this as the education authorities encouraged/allowed/promoted this slovenly way of talking about 20 years ago. Even those who work for the BBC use this lazy way of talking. For example one person who works for BBC Radio Lancashire continually says Ever'on when referring to the football club Everton. I pass Radio Lancashire's building quite a lot and have often thought about going into the reception and asking to see this presenter to have it out with him about his slovenly way of speaking.
I can confirm that this is the one i dislike the most.:banghead:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That would make sense, but now such entities are usually separate. And by that reasoning why isn't the car repair workshop called the petrol station?

Top Bottom