Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No, sorry. My company (Delta) is based in Atlanta, and of course all my U.S. colleagues pronounce those as "Delda" and "Atlanna". I pronounce them as "Delta" and "Atlanta", and those colleagues seem to find that really charming and "English". I'd rather keep those differences, and I suspect my colleagues rather enjoy the differences too. (We Josh each other over accents and "football" a lot). I'd hate for us to become one conglomerated, glottal homogenization.
A very long time ago, I had to go through Customs at Miami airport on the way home from a backpacking trip of Mexico. I had a pineapple and I declared it to a female customs officer.

"Sorry, can you say that again?"

"I've got a pineapple."

She called over a couple of her colleagues so they could listen.......

" My God....I just love the way you Brits speak..."^_^

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A very long time ago, I had to go through Customs at Miami airport on the way home from a backpacking trip of Mexico. I had a pineapple and I declared it to a female customs officer.

"Sorry, can you say that again?"

"I've got a pineapple."

She called over a couple of her colleagues so they could listen.......

" My God....I just love the way you Brits speak..."^_^
Reminds me of Bill Bryson's account of being asked by a waitress in the midwest where he comes from. 'Britain,' he says. 'Well honey,' she says, 'for a foreigner you speak English real good.'

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Reminds me of Bill Bryson's account of being asked by a waitress in the midwest where he comes from. 'Britain,' he says. 'Well honey,' she says, 'for a foreigner you speak English real good.'

That reminds me of a Derek and Clive sketch. Dudley Moore is exasperated at the 'enigmatic' behaviour of Pablo Piscasso, who is in the back of his taxi. Dud says to him, "you speak good English...for a ****"

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Speaking of silly language, there's a phrase on one of the whiteboards at work (I work in a very corporate, white-collar job), which appeared there several weeks ago (or at least, that's when I noticed it). It is: "pain-gain impact". Upon seeing it, I wanted to hurl... xx(

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Won't be long before no one is buying diesel, and LPG is an petroleum distillate.

swansonj

Guru
For those who don't see the problem with sloppy English, here's a "spot the difference":

1) I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse
2) I helped my uncle jack off his horse
On the contrary, that example kind of supports the point many of us are making. The purpose of language and words is to communicate and the only test of their success is whether they were effective in communicating (which can include, incidentally, communicating ambiguity and imaginative richness as well as literal or functional meaning). Adherence to rules is not an end in itself, it is a tool to communicating, and useful only to the extent that it supports that end.

If, in your example, it mattered to me to communicate which alternative I intended, the onus is on me to use words to make my meaning clear - not to rely on the recipient understanding some arbitrary set of rules about capitals and commas in the same way as me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On the contrary, that example kind of supports the point many of us are making. The purpose of language and words is to communicate and the only test of their success is whether they were effective in communicating (which can include, incidentally, communicating ambiguity and imaginative richness as well as literal or functional meaning). Adherence to rules is not an end in itself, it is a tool to communicating, and useful only to the extent that it supports that end.

If, in your example, it mattered to me to communicate which alternative I intended, the onus is on me to use words to make my meaning clear - not to rely on the recipient understanding some arbitrary set of rules about capitals and commas in the same way as me.

Given we're talking about conveying meaning I can't help noticing you start by saying "on the contrary" yet then make the same point I was (trying to) make.

Top Bottom