Drawn a blank.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And pocketed a nice sum for doing very little.
Artist or con artist?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So he was paid £3900 to recreate an installation using cash worth £84,000. But has done nothing. But he has actually created something and generated publicity.
He should return the cash and keep the £3900 as a stunt.

Dolorous Edd

“The work is that I have taken their money,” he told Danish radio. “It’s not theft. It is breach of contract, and breach of contract is part of the work.”

So presumably he would have no problem with me going round to his house and "performing art" on his possessions and his family.

Utter arse.

Dolorous Edd

Only if you were asked to do so. He was, he did.

No, as the article states quite clearly, what he was asked to do was

to recreate two earlier works which used bank notes to represent average incomes. A 2007 work, An Average Danish Annual Income, displayed krone notes fixed to canvas in a frame, and a second 2011 work about Austrian incomes used Euro bills.

He is no freer to creatively interpret that request as an invitation to take the money and do nothing, that I am to creatively interpret your post as an invitation to defecate on my pet cat.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I bet he would be p’s off if the gallery had just recreated his original. It’s not very difficult.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
He is no freer to creatively interpret that request as an invitation to take the money and do nothing, that I am to creatively interpret your post as an invitation to defecate on my pet cat.
Feel free, but do it artistically.

I think what he’s done is not only creative but quite amusing. And there’s no denying the outrage is quite performative.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They've decided to display the work, so they can't be that upset. And it fits the theme of the exhibition. Aren't we kind of done with this now though? The KLF burned a million quid, Banksy shredded a work at auction, probably loads of other artworks I don't know about do similar things. Don't we all get the link between art, and capitalism, and labour, and money, and value? I guess as long as we live in a capitalist society we will carry on getting the art that reflects that society. That is what it's for, after all...

Top Bottom