Dream frame just landed.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubester wanted a full suss frame for his upcoming birthday, and over the summer really took to my Canyon Nerve AM. That prompted me to start looking for a decent frame for myself, and set about raising funds. Cubester sold his hardtail frame, fork, brakes and seatpost, bought himself a set of SLX brakes from ze Germans, and I sold him my frame, Revelation fork and Reverb seatpost at fair market price, plus a reasonably generous allowance for his birthday. At the same time I sold my C2W roadbike from 2 years ago and therefore ended up with a decent pot to buy a frame and fork. I happened to mention to the LBS owner that I was looking for a quality trail/enduro frame to which he said "you might like to take a look at this then" and produced a bike he'd treated himself to for a trip to the Alps last year which was now surplus to requirements. It needed a clean and the scruffy heli tape removing, but appeared to be sound enough. Oh, and I had had a secret ambition to treat myself to one of these when I retired in a few years time. Now I found myself with a good wedge in my pocket and this looking at me (I've since cut the paint and removed the helitape) More helitape on order, a new fork sitting at a parcel depot awaiting collection and here it is:

002-2.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Build will be
Fork X Fusion Slant 160
Wheels Hope Proll Evo with Stans Arch Ex for the time being. I'll swap my Flow rims over if I need to
Bars Answer ProTaper carbon 720
Brakes Shimano XT M785
Chainset XT M785 2x10
11-36 cassette
Reverb 125x420mm
Charge Spoon

Start building it tomorrow, can't wait!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What's the black thing on the BB?
Chain guide. As beloved by 2x9-ers 2x10-ers and their 1xN cousins. Stops the chain coming off and includes a spot of bash so then Cubist rocks into some logs at speed his chain ring teeth don't get mashed nor his legs chewed when he fall off.
@Cubist please can we have step-by-step photo reportage of the build like last time?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Chain guide. As beloved by 2x9-ers 2x10-ers and their 1xN cousins. Stops the chain coming off and includes a spot of bash so then Cubist rocks into some logs at speed his chain ring teeth don't get mashed nor his legs chewed when he fall off.
@Cubist please can we have step-by-step photo reportage of the build like last time?
Really? I've missed getting the new fork out of the box, taking it to have the steerer cut and ramming home the crown race. I'm in the middle of sorting out the wheels too....do you really want to see me swapping the front 20mm Maxle adapters for 15s, and the rear QR endcaps for 12x142s? If you can do without that I'll chronicle it from here. ^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Really? I've missed getting the new fork out of the box, taking it to have the steerer cut and ramming home the crown race. I'm in the middle of sorting out the wheels too....do you really want to see me swapping the front 20mm Maxle adapters for 15s, and the rear QR endcaps for 12x142s? If you can do without that I'll chronicle it from here. ^_^
yes. Really.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
OK, so while the photos are loading here's how I got to where I am with the build. The frame is an Ibis Mojo HD140. It's made of carbon fibre and has a fox RP23 Kashima shock. That's activated by a DW link rear suspension pivot, which you can google if you're interested, but basically this patented 4-bar link system reduces pedal induced bob without having to interfere with low speed compression damping, so the rear wheel tracks better under active suspension even when the rider pedals hard. At the same time the setup means that the rear doesn't squat under braking force, and so the suspension again can remain active, giving better tracking and grip.

The frame has swappable "Limbo Chips" which are the anchor points for the upper eye of the rear shock. The frame can be run with a 140mm travel shock, or a 160mm travel shock, and the limbo chips ensure the geometry remains the same with either. So you can run up to a 180mm fork with the 160 shock and the chip keeps the geometry the same as if you were running a 140 shock and 150mm forks. The two standards are based on trail riding like we in the UK know and love, and more aggressive Enduro riding like those foreign johnnies enjoy in the Alps etc.

I'm going to be running the 140 setup but have treated it to a 160mm fork. This will effectively raise the BB height and slacken the head angle by about a degree compared with a 150, although I'll need to compare axle to crown heights with say a 150 Revelation to be certain. The bridleways and bits of technical stuff round here tend to be rocky and steep, so the slightly raised BB height will ensure fewer strikes. The slacker head angle will help with descending. That's the theory anyway.

The frame is burly. It may be carbon, but it's noticeably heavier than my Canyon AM frame. The fork has a tapered steerer and a Syntace 15mm axle. It has 34 mm stanchions and coupled with the tapered steerer and 15mm will mean it's pretty stiff up front. The frame design itself is pretty stiff, and it has a 142mmx12mm through-axle at the back. Basically it ain't gonna flex or deflect in a hurry on that rocky stuff, and it'll take pretty big hits if you ask it to.

Basically it's to be run on technical stuff and trail centres. Mrs C has hinted at an Alps trip as a 50th birthday treat, so this will be ideal. The hardtail Soul is so versatile it'll do more or less everything the 140 trail bike could do, so this is a departure for me into more aggressive stuff.

I have all that I need to build it, and I'll be dismantling my AM bike to transfer drivetrain, brakes, Reverb and bars. I'm going to leave the carbon bar on the Soul and use a 750mm Fat Boy as it's going to need wide bars. The Soul currently has a Hope Proll evo wheelset on Stans Arch Ex rims, and I need to steal them as the wheels on the Canyon won't convert to 12mm axle.

Those pics have finished loading, so here goes.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
X Fusion Slant 160 RL2 fork. Rebound and lockout adjustable air fork.
MojoBuild002.jpg
Cut to 200mm, star fangled nut and crown race fitted.
MojoBuild004.jpg

The front hub on this Hope Proll evo wheelset has a 20mm Maxle adapter fitted, which needs swapping for a 15mm one to suit the Syntace axle on the fork
MojoBuild005.jpg
Lever out the metal circlip and it lifts out
MojoBuild006.jpg
MojoBuild007.jpg

The replacement 15mm adapter is a simple push fit
MojoBuild008.jpg
MojoBuild009.jpg

The rear hub currently has standard 135mm QR dropouts. Hope Proll Evo hubs have a 12mm axle so it's just a case of pulling out the old QR endcaps and replacing them with 142x12 endcaps.
MojoBuild010.jpg
MojoBuild011.jpg
MojoBuild012.jpg
MojoBuild013.jpg
MojoBuild015.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Next, I needed to remove the SLX 10 speed 11-36 cassette from the Superleggera freehub to transfer onto theProll.
The old chainwhip and lockring tool big hand squeeze (save knuckles.....)
MojoBuild016.jpg
MojoBuild017.jpg

Needs a clean:
MojoBuild018.jpg
Cleaned and ready to fit on the freehub
MojoBuild019.jpg
MojoBuild019.jpg
MojoBuild022.jpg
Torqued up to "F Tight" (40 n)
MojoBuild026.jpg

Attachments

• MojoBuild019.jpg
    MojoBuild019.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Now it's just a case of stripping the rest of the bits off the Canyon. Chainset (needs a clean!)
MojoBuild027.jpg
Hope Stainless BB
MojoBuild028.jpg
I seem to own a few wheels...
MojoBuild030.jpg
QUick tidy then I'm stopping for tonight.

The Helitape should be here tomorrow, so I'll fit it in the evening, and can then crack on with the build.

RWright

Guru
Helitape is something I had not considered for my bike. I did a search and found recommendations to use 3M as well as a couple of others. Looks like something I will be ordering before I start thrashing my bike. Glad I saw you mention it.

In the opening post I did not understand exactly what the phrase "cut the paint" means.

I like this thread, nice stuff for an MTB newbie to see. Thanks for taking the time to do it. :thumbsup:

Very interesting. I'm now wondering whether I should get Helitape for my FF29, I'd previously dismissed the thought.

Surprised the Carbon frame is heavier as well.

Top Bottom