Dream frame just landed.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Adjusting the mech needs several variables checking. Firstly alignment. This is the "B" screw, and it adjusts vertical alignment of teh mech cage/jockeys
011-1.jpg
There needs to be clearance between teh bottom of the cog and the top of the jockey wheel with room for the chain to pass through without fouling. This takes a bit of trial and eror

012-1.jpg

But this looks about right. I'll recheck when it's on the big cog as well.
015-1.jpg
Cables next. This is the front shifter, and needs to be cabled up whilst at granny ring setting, so click off the lever to remove indexing tension. I'm going to remove the old cable
016-1.jpg

Wind the adjuster barrel all the way in then out a turn or so.
017-1.jpg

Remove eth rub screw from the cable entry
020-1.jpg

and don't lose it!
023-1.jpg

Push the old cable out of the shifter housing and remove.
025-1.jpg

3m of new outer to measure up and cut to length
028-1.jpg

When measuring cable outer make sure it's long enough to allow full bar rotation, but not too long to keep things neat and tidy

035-1.jpg
Outer cable throught the cable clamps on the top tube
037-1.jpg
through a cable tie on teh hose guide lug and measured to length in the cable stop on the front mech
038-1.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cut to length with a decent pair of cable cutters
039-1.jpg

and make sure the ends are nice and round before fitting the inners

041-1.jpg

Add a ferrule
046-1.jpg

and choose a new inner cable. 1.2mm bulk buy from the Woollyhatshop IIRC, about 30p each.
048.jpg

Feed the inner cable through the shifter
049-1.jpg
051-1.jpg

Now I always put a thin smear of grease on the cables as I fit them. This is plain old Castrol grease on a piece of kitchen roll. I pull the cable through the grease to leave a sparing coating
052-1.jpg
053-1.jpg
before feeding it though the outer cable

055-1.jpg

Push the ferrule into the shifter barrel... it's a click fit
057-1.jpg
and pass the other end through the cable stop on the mech
060-1.jpg before clicking the ferrule home at that end
062-1.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Route the cable through the actuator and through the clamp slot
067-1.jpg
before nipping up nice and tight. You should pull the cable to remove all of the slack, but no actual tension at this stage.
069-1.jpg

Check that it activates the front mech
070-1.jpg

It does, but this pic shows that the cage doesn't come far enough over and the chain is fouling the inside edge of the outer cage plate
071-1.jpg
073-1.jpg

I therefore use the limit adjust screw to allow teh cage to move so there is about 1mm of clearance between the chain and the cage on big/little.
074-1.jpg

075-1.jpg

A check to make sure the chain shifts down to the granny when the shifter is released, and I can trim teh excess tidy up the ends of the cable with an end crimp.
076-1.jpg
077-1.jpg
078-1.jpg
079.jpg
080.jpg
Final task is to trim the cable ties off with a stanley knife, experiences suggests if you don't get them flush with the clip the trimmed edge is razor sharp!
082.jpg

Last edited:
You may not know this (and I'm not expecting you to take them back off and weigh them) but how heavy are the XT cranks, relative descriptions like light etc... are fine. I'm wondering because I went for plain Deore which I reckon is good for the money, XT being double the cost for, as far as I could tell, a few hundred grams of weight saving.

VamP

Banned
I agree. I admire your restraint in cataloguing each step. I'd be out there ripping up trails first, and doing the write up next week :laugh:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
You may not know this (and I'm not expecting you to take them back off and weigh them) but how heavy are the XT cranks, relative descriptions like light etc... are fine. I'm wondering because I went for plain Deore which I reckon is good for the money, XT being double the cost for, as far as I could tell, a few hundred grams of weight saving.
They're 850 g. It's not just weight though (although " a few hundred grammes" soon adds up) but XT cranks are stiffer and of course prettier! Besides which I got these off eBay for £60, brand new just taken off a new bike. If I were buying new, for the performance vs weight argument, I'd split the difference and get SLX. It's all gorgeous and there's about 50g difference to XT.

I agree. I admire your restraint in cataloguing each step. I'd be out there ripping up trails first, and doing the write up next week :laugh:

I've been working over the weekend, and had to go out to friends for dinner last night, so this is pretty much real time. I've just done the last few bits of faffage this morning , and I've just had a "bedding in ride" but it's arsing it down. As soon as it eases off I've got a little loop lined up!:smile:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rear mech cables next,
084.jpg
Ferruled cabl;e end in the cable stop, again this will be a single run of outer for weatherproofing.
085.jpg
Miore cable ties in the hose guides under the top of the rear triangle

086.jpg

Routes behind the front mech cable and over the pivot
087.jpg
another cable tie before routing under the polycarbonate hose guard on the downtube

088.jpg
089.jpg
090.jpg

and under teh carbon guide behind the head tube
091.jpg

Cut to length after checkig it doesn't foul when the bars are turned
094.jpg

fresh cable through the shifter , lightly greased and fed into the outer

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/emilysdad/media/Mojo%20Build/098.jpg.html] 098.jpg
096.jpg
[/URL]

and into the rear mech via the cable stop
100.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Through the cable clamp, keeping a bit of tension on the cable, 101.jpg

and nipped up tight
102.jpg

Remember I said we'd check the B limit once we got the chain onto the biggest cog..... well, this isn't enough clearance, it'll foul when you change down, so turn the B screw and watch the jockey move down away from the cog
104.jpg
106.jpg

Neaten the cable ends with a crimp
108.jpg

The jockey and cage should be in line with the biggest cog, luckily this was already bang on, but it's a simple task to line it up using the limit screw.
110.jpg

Now we need to check chain clearance at the front mech when the chain's on the biggest cog, so shift to granny, then to the 36t cog and ensure there's a mm between the chain and the inside of the cage plate nearest the frame
112.jpg

If there isn't, use the limit screw to wind the cage towards the frame until there's the right clearance
113.jpg

It takes both hands, but I then finely adjusted the cable tension to ensure one click per shift up and down the cassette, smooth and trouble free. It took about two minutes.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Last few bits to do now, tidying up all the hose clamps, witht eh Reverb hose clamped on the left side
002-2.jpg
007-1.jpg

Now to fit the reverb remote to the bars
008-2.jpg
Loosen up the brake and gear clamps to snug the remote in the right place. The brakes are inboard of the shifter, and the remote (which is a right hand lever upside down on the left to protect it) between the shifter and the grip collar.

009-2.jpg
010-2.jpg
011-2.jpg
013-1.jpg

Last check to see that teh remote works without fouling the shift lever, and vice versa
014-1.jpg

before tightening the Torx clamp bolt
015-2.jpg
016-2.jpg

Checking reach to the brake lever.... perfect!
017-2.jpg

Grips on the right hand bar
019-1.jpg
and checked to make sure the shift lever falls to hand (thumb!) and the brakes are one finger position.
021-2.jpg

Tightened again so they will break free in a crash instead of taking big hits and breaking.
023-2.jpg

They're 850 g. It's not just weight though (although " a few hundred grammes" soon adds up) but XT cranks are stiffer and of course prettier! Besides which I got these off eBay for £60, brand new just taken off a new bike. If I were buying new, for the performance vs weight argument, I'd split the difference and get SLX. It's all gorgeous and there's about 50g difference to XT.

All true: I've gone for trying to save weight elsewhere, like rear cassette, bars and stuff and maybe tyres and tubes, prettiness is the next budget up too.

How come I never see these damn bargains on ebay when I'm looking.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Saddle onto the clamps and lined up
029-1.jpg

two bolt system means tilt adjust is a doddle
030-1.jpg
032-1.jpg

Air into the fork according to manuf recommendation. Hmm, feels a bit firm, but need bedding in.
035-2.jpg

Remember I guessed it would be about 30lb? well

036-1.jpg

or for the metricians amongst us:
038-2.jpg

even the scales are smiling!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
All true: I've gone for trying to save weight elsewhere, like rear cassette, bars and stuff and maybe tyres and tubes, prettiness is the next budget up too.

How come I never see these damn bargains on ebay when I'm looking.

Wheels and tyres are the biggest gains. That front wheel weighs 1500 grammes with tyre and rotor fitted. I run tubeless which saves some rim weight.

Top Bottom