Drilling out the soles of SPD shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
i don;t think Darius has any experience of re-drilling cleat holes to share with you. HTH!

I did pick up on that, but he certainly used a lot of energy in not sharing it. :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

Ignore the doubters & naysayers, they're just grumpy as it's hot & they have been locked up too long, I'm having difficulty imagining what you are trying to achieve can you post an image of where your cleat is now & where you want it, from the underside of the shoe?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Ignore the doubters & naysayers, they're just grumpy as it's hot & they have been locked up too long, I'm having difficulty imagining what you are trying to achieve can you post an image of where your cleat is now & where you want it, from the underside of the shoe?

These are the same shoes - just want these slots to extend 15-20mm further back than they currently do, or I guess extra holes drilled back in that position.

shimano-me200-mtb-shoes.jpg

The examples on websites tend to show where it was successful, I'm sure there are cases where it wasn't! The sole does seem very strong though.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is this the type of cleat you are trying to attach?

D

Deleted member 26715

No worries. Time to hit the ignore button.
Wish you would, your input so far has been pointless

vickster

Legendary Member
When you used flats did you cycle on the arch/instep area? Is that what you’re trying to replicate

(I have had to move from clipless and cycle like that now on flats as I don’t have enough flexion in my knackered knee to have pedal under the ball of foot /just behind toes. I recognise It’s a rather crap technique but needs must)

D

Deleted member 26715

Not sure how you could modify the shoe in such a way as to hold the cleat in place, I don't think you would be able to elongate the slots so that the nuts slide down further. You could try to attach a piece of metal to the nuts & the have two threaded holes to attach the cleat, but I would have thought that would just snap or at least bend after a few rotations. The only logical way is to drill all the way through the sole, but then how do you have bolts on the inside that would not feel uncomfortable, you could get some countersunk nuts made.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think any of us has drilled out shoes, but I can see it being more difficult with the modern moulded soles and trying to fit the metal plate in without getting a ridge in the foot bed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure how you could modify the shoe in such a way as to hold the cleat in place, I don't think you would be able to elongate the slots so that the nuts slide down further. You could try to attach a piece of metal to the nuts & the have two threaded holes to attach the cleat, but I would have thought that would just snap or at least bend after a few rotations. The only logical way is to drill all the way through the sole, but then how do you have bolts on the inside that would not feel uncomfortable, you could get some countersunk nuts made.
The bolts go through the slots into a threaded metal plate inside the sole of the shoe. It may be possible to slide that back a bit but the slots would have to be lengthened, or holes drilled in exactly the right place.

Top Bottom