Drinkers of Beer, your attention please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Me too and I consider stouts and porters my favourite beers

I have had a Guinness Porter before, and it was a bit 'Meh'. I don't know if the tubes in the pub needed cleaning, but I wasn't very impressed.

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out.
As far as bottled beer goes, these two little beauties take some beating and only £1.39 at B&M Bargins

I'll second that, my cousin works for Moorhouses, it very nice stuff.

I also second that Guiness red was shoot.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The production of beer is very interesting.
I hadn't realised, until a recent conversation with a family member who works in the industry, that the brewing company, for example allied brewers (Carling et al) brew one quality of beer then dehydrate it into pellet form. It can then be easily shipped to where ever they need to ship it and rehydrate it. How much they rehydrate it, gives it it's strength.
So, lots of water added, you get Carling cooking lager. Not so much water and you get the Winos favourite - Special brew. And of course all shades in between depending on how much water is added. Apparently this is a standard practice across all large scale beer production.
There's certainly no love going into industrial beer production.

I go on taste, but yeah, I prefer the 'proper' ale from smaller breweries.

That said, if a big company makes something that is amazing, then yes I'd drink it!

Skew Sunshine Ale

SKEW SUNSHINE ALE begins its nurtured life when we carefully sow the barley seed during early spring in the light chalky soil of 'SKEW FIELD'. The south-facing slope of the field ensures that every hour of sunshine is captured to produce a plump golden grain. Grain so admired by the Institute of Brewers that it has been awarded the 'Best Spring Barley in the South-East of England'.

.. or as stated by WIlliam Cobbett in 1823 in his "Rural Rides"

But now I come to one of the great objects of my journey: that is to say, to see the state of the corn along the South foot and on the South side of Portsdown-hill. It is impossible that there can be, any where, a better corn country than this. The hill is eight miles long, and about three-fourths of a mile high [sic], beginning at the road that runs along at the foot of the hill

So in theory I can commute on my bike in the morning and watch the progress of the Barley that will go into my Ale... a truly local product

skepumpclip200.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I hadn't realised, until a recent conversation with a family member who works in the industry, that the brewing company, for example allied brewers (Carling et al) brew one quality of beer then dehydrate it into pellet form. It can then be easily shipped to where ever they need to ship it and rehydrate it. How much they rehydrate it, gives it it's strength.
So, lots of water added, you get Carling cooking lager. Not so much water and you get the Winos favourite - Special brew. And of course all shades in between depending on how much water is added. Apparently this is a standard practice across all large scale beer production.

Why dont they just sell the pellets?

:-)

Globalti

Legendary Member

Absolute twaddle - your plonker was being well and truly pulled! How much do you think it would cost to evaporate all that water from the product and what do you think would be left? Probably a sticky residue, not pellets! And what do you think would happen to all the ethanol that those little yeasts have laboured so hard to produce? The whole point of brewing is the production of ethanol from the sugars, at an affordable cost that allows profit. Why would you want to blow off the ethanol then re-introduce, at great expense, ethanol made from a chemical route?

As it happens I was in O'Shea's bar in Manchester last night with an overseas visitor and we drank a pint of Guinness; it was rubbish and we told the barman so. He repiled that in fact much of the production now comes out of breweries like Guinness in huge tanker lorries (the seafreight container tanks) and is transported by road to wherever it is needed then repacked in barrels, thus avoiding the cost of moving all the barrels around. Bulk transport like this makes perfect sense. He seemed to agree that Guinness isn't anything like it used to be and he seemed to blame the industrialised and standardised methods of production and distribution to many different markets, hence the universal blandness of the drink now.

As an aside, the band was an excellent little 3-piece who got the drinkers up and dancing and I've never seen such a collection of "characters" in one place in my life.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

You were told this on April 1st weren't you?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Here's another brewery secret. Newcastle brown ale is now brewed in Tadcaster and to be able to still call it Newcastle Brown Ale, Heineken tanker down water from Tyneside to brew it in Yorkshire.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Absolute twaddle - your plonker was being well and truly pulled! How much do you think it would cost to evaporate all that water from the product and what do you think would be left? Probably a sticky residue, not pellets! And what do you think would happen to all the ethanol that those little yeasts have laboured so hard to produce?

You were told this on April 1st weren't you?
No, we had a family trip to a small scale brewery (Hook Norton) and the guide mentioned it in his spiel, not knowing that my Uncle was an employee of Allied. After the tour my Uncle explained what they did.
You believe what you like.

Top Bottom