Drinkers of Beer, your attention please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The production of beer is very interesting.
I hadn't realised, until a recent conversation with a family member who works in the industry, that the brewing company, for example allied brewers (Carling et al) brew one quality of beer then dehydrate it into pellet form. It can then be easily shipped to where ever they need to ship it and rehydrate it. How much they rehydrate it, gives it it's strength.
So, lots of water added, you get Carling cooking lager. Not so much water and you get the Winos favourite - Special brew. And of course all shades in between depending on how much water is added. Apparently this is a standard practice across all large scale beer production.
There's certainly no love going into industrial beer production.

Pot noodle beer, lovely.....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No, we had a family trip to a small scale brewery (Hook Norton) and the guide mentioned it in his spiel, not knowing that my Uncle was an employee of Allied. After the tour my Uncle explained what they did.
You believe what you like.

I believe that you are gullible.

@jazzkat were you, possibly, being showed pelletised hops that are widely used in brewing? Hops from all over the world can now be transported much more easily than in their natural form.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
@jazzkat were you, possibly, being showed pelletised hops that are widely used in brewing? Hops from all over the world can now be transported much more easily than in their natural form.
No it wasn't the hops, it just came up as a throwaway comment from the tour guide that they brewed beer 'properly' unlike the big conglomerates.
When quizzing my uncle after the tour he explained it wasn't financially worthwhile brewing so many strengths of beer i.e. export strength when by altering the amount of water afterwards they could alter the amount of alcohol per quantity. So they could hit different markets without having to brew lots of different strength beers.
It certainly wasn't a wind-up.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No it wasn't the hops, it just came up as a throwaway comment from the tour guide that they brewed beer 'properly' unlike the big conglomerates.
When quizzing my uncle after the tour he explained it wasn't financially worthwhile brewing so many strengths of beer i.e. export strength when by altering the amount of water afterwards they could alter the amount of alcohol per quantity. So they could hit different markets without having to brew lots of different strength beers.

Thats not the same as what you said earlier. Having second thoughts?

I hadn't realised, until a recent conversation with a family member who works in the industry, that the brewing company, for example allied brewers (Carling et al) brew one quality of beer then dehydrate it into pellet form. It can then be easily shipped to where ever they need to ship it and rehydrate it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

That I can believe; a single brewing process that is tweaked to produce a variety of different strength beers from the same basic ingredients.

But dehydrating beer to rehydrate it later is complete nonsense. In dehydrating it you will first evaporate off the alcohol (as it has a lower boiling point than the water). When you add water at the other end all you'll have is a watery gunk with no alcohol in it.

Hang on, that sounds a lot like Castlemaine XXXX so maybe it's true after all

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thats not the same as what you said earlier. Having second thoughts?
Not at all.

That I can believe; a single brewing process that is tweaked to produce a variety of different strength beers from the same basic ingredients.

But dehydrating beer to rehydrate it later is complete nonsense. In dehydrating it you will first evaporate off the alcohol (as it has a lower boiling point than the water). When you add water at the other end all you'll have is a watery gunk with no alcohol in it.

Hang on, that sounds a lot like Castlemaine XXXX so maybe it's true after all
Just passing on what I was told by someone who works for the company told me.
Now you all know what I was told, I'm done here.
:okay:

U

User169

It sounds like the person who told you this dehydration story doesn't actually understand the brewing process (or you got the wrong end of the stick)!

What big brewers actually do, and what craft brewers typically don't do, is what is called high gravity brewing: beer is brewed to a higher alcohol percentage than intended for consumption and then blended with water. The big guys do this so they get larger volumes of beer without having to invest in additional fermentation capacity. Some argue that it results in an inferior end product.

There are some alcohol powders available, but they are rather niche products...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
JwogxL.jpg

This is rather nice but unfortunately not available in pellet form yet

Top Bottom