Drinkers of Beer, your attention please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the grounds of Winchester Cathedral is the gravestone of Thomas Thetcher who died of a fever in 1726

Here sleeps in peace a Hampshire Grenadier,

Who caught his death by drinking cold small Beer,
Soldiers be wise from his untimely fall

And when ye're hot drink Strong or none at all.r

In a time of poor sanitation and often contaminated water supplies beer was often a safer drink as the brewing process removed many of the bugs

Small beer was a weaker version suitable for kids and women

IIRC IPA was in fact an ordinary pale ale that was exported for the middle and working classes in many hot climates including India for many years developing a specific taste then becoming a particular product and given the name

It was no different from the pLe ale sold in the UK

PS the soldiers used to prefer Porter

Globalti

Legendary Member
IPA or India Pale Ale was a pale ale that was heavily hopped to survive the long voyage to India. We sent all that IPA to India and what has India given us back?

Cobra.

Blurgh. xx( Just industrial Europiss.

contadino

Veteran
I really really doubt this story. Dehydrating beer to make it stronger to lower shipping costs...really??? It would be cheaper to brew extra strong beer, ship it, and then dilute it on arrival.

I'd be very interested to follow any internet links to material that supports the dehydration story and would be delighted if my scepticism is unfounded.

I've heard it several times, including on a BBC documentary series about the East India Trading Company recently. If I'd read it once, I'd be dubious, but it hasn't been just a single source. I'm a homebrewer, so I'll check some of my brewing books when I'm next in the store room.

I'm not sure of the details, but I know that IPA was originally loaded with hops and had a higher alcohol content (both have preservation characteristics) so that it wouldn't go off during shipping, and then diluted at destination. I doubt there were the same high-tolerance strains of brewers yeast available in the 19th century that we have now so I can't imagine it being brewed strong enough to have a significantly longer shelf life. On the flip-side, if the beer was dehydrated, the alcohol would evaporate before any water, so I can't see how that would have worked.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd have thought that to dilute the beer locally would have risked mass diarrhoea in the ranks. The very reason why beer is such a historic drink is that the production process sterilised the water, making it safer to drink than water before chlorination. In a typical village in pre-industrial Britain there would have been a dozen public houses where the farm worker could sit down at the end of a day in the fields and slake his thirst cheaply with beer brewed in the back room. I recently discovered that my neighbour's bungalow, rather curiously built on a hill with a cellar, was once a public house.

As a footnote, clumps of stinging nettles would denote the places where the farm workers would stop to relieve themselves on the way home as nettles thrive in nitrate-rich soil.

AndyRM

XOXO
IPA or India Pale Ale was a pale ale that was heavily hopped to survive the long voyage to India. We sent all that IPA to India and what has India given us back?

Cobra.

Blurgh. xx( Just industrial Europiss.

Give Lion Beer a shot, it's properly Indian and very good.

U

User169

Wikipedia is not always a reliable source.

IPA was originally brewed with a higher than usual alcohol content (between 8.0 -9.0%) and was more heavily hopped (hops being a very good preservative). These helped maintain the beer during shipping. It wasn't designed to be 'rehydrated' or diluted at the other end. However, it was routinely served watered down to the troops in India (whilst officers drank it at full strength).

Current IPAs are brewed with a lower alcohol content (4.0 - 6.5%). This is basically because of the various tax measures that have been in place over the years.

In this instance though, Wikipedia is likely correct given it referred specifically to early IPAs. Hodgson's original pale ale shipments to India weren't especially strong: about 6/6.5%, so the same as porter. They probably weren't more highly hopped either, at least not more than existing similar strength beers, although possibly more attenuated.

The watering down thing is a myth too - there's no evidence for it and the troops drank porter in any event.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I went to an IPA tasting a while back and the journo giving the talk was a guy called Tiermey-Smith who writes a bit about beer amongst other things, he talked about the IPA myth. Here's some other stuff on it for those interested, there's links to other articles/evidence, etc. quite an interesting read anyway...

https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/ipa-the-executive-summary/

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Give Lion Beer a shot, it's properly Indian and very good.

At the risk of being labelled a Subcontinental beer know-it-all, Lion is from Sri Lanka. Son#2 came back from a cricket tour there a couple of months ago singing its praises (the beer that is, not Sri Lanka, although he liked the country too). You're right, it's decent enough lager

AndyRM

XOXO
At the risk of being labelled a Subcontinental beer know-it-all, Lion is from Sri Lanka. Son#2 came back from a cricket tour there a couple of months ago singing its praises (the beer that is, not Sri Lanka, although he liked the country too). You're right, it's decent enough lager

Ah, is it? I have been lied to! Stern words will be had with my Indian mate when I see him this afternoon.

U

User169

AndyRM could be talking about "Lion Beer" from Mohan Meakin.

Top Bottom