Driver put her hand over her eyes, killed cyclist, no charges.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Most drivers do not clean the insides of their windscreens, which become obscured by the grey film of plasticiser that migrates out of the vinyl trim. The film collects moisture causing misting and it obscures the view badly when driving towards the sun.
And the driver therefore should should slow down to a speed which is safe ... GUILTY!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
And the driver therefore should should slow down to a speed which is safe ... GUILTY!
And clean the windows!

goes off to find spray and cleaning cloths...

Globalti

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter how slowly you drive if your windscreen is illuminated by low sunshine on mist or dirt, you have no chance of seeing anything.

Plasticiser migration is the last big problem the motor industry has not succeeded in solving; you need to be a regular and fastidious cleaner to avoid that grey film building up on the glass. I clean mine every month.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm curious to know what offence she admitted to to receive a caution. Anyone know?

HC Rule 237
Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop.

GC

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a sad and recurring story.

I am particularly aware of the low sun at this time of the year as I ride a motorbike. If I have the sun behind me on a main road I need be very aware when approaching junctions, because drivers often cannot see me. I ride with the headlight turned on and in a vis vest and sometimes they still cant see me. On both my bike and motorbike I have a flashing Smart light on the back of my vis vest.

If I were to ride that stretch of road in the photo, I would be on the footpath on the left hand side. It looks like a country road and so I doubt if you get much foot traffic on it. Illegal maybe. Safer, certainly.

I see this poor chap had head injuries and was not wearing a helmet. I would suggest that if he is in a collision with a car, a helmet would not have done him a lot of good anyway.

Steve.

snailracer

Über Member
It's easy to condemn the driver, but I almost hit a cyclist myself once when I was driving, because of glare from the low sun.
For this reason, when cycling I always run my very bright flashing taillight when the sun is low.

ColinJ

I don't get this repetition of 'low sun is dazzling' ... Obviously, yes it is, so slow down!

I was riding down through Hebden Bridge's pedestrian zone*** the other afternoon and was dazzled by the sun so I slowed to walking pace and shielded my eyes with one hand. When people walked out in front of me, I was then able to see them and avoid them.

*** Cyclists are allowed to ride there.

ColinJ

I have suddenly turned a corner and been blinded by sunlight, it can happen without warning or enough time to slow down.
You know what time of year it is - the winter is nearly upon us. In the northern hemisphere at this time of year, the afternoon sun is ALWAYS low in the S/SW. If you turn towards the S/SW, you are going to get dazzled unless there is a big building, hill, or something else in the way. Anticipate it, and slow down before you turn.

Top Bottom