Driver put her hand over her eyes, killed cyclist, no charges.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It doesn't matter how slowly you drive if your windscreen is illuminated by low sunshine on mist or dirt, you have no chance of seeing anything.

Plasticiser migration is the last big problem the motor industry has not succeeded in solving; you need to be a regular and fastidious cleaner to avoid that grey film building up on the glass. I clean mine every month.
serious question... what with?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have suddenly turned a corner and been blinded by sunlight, it can happen without warning or enough time to slow down.
Then you turned the corner too fast. Or was the sun eclipsed as you started the turn. Or was the pesky sun rising in the west for a change?

gbb

Legendary Member
You can be blinded by the sun irrespective of your speed. It can happen when walking doing <1mph
While NOT commenting on or condoning the original drivers actions, I wasnt there, I didnt see, so what I think is irrelevent, but markys point can be true. Drive down Mapperly Tops in Nottingham at this time of year...I was once crawling along, blinded by the sun, if it hadnt been for a mate in the passenger seat, I'd have flattened a ped on a crossing...a couple feet in front of me...I simply couldnt see him.
I was 17 and inexperienced at the wheel, nowadays, I'd like to think I wouldnt make the same mistake. And yet...I really was crawing along, but i was driving one of those very high windscreened vans which didnt help.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
A little reminder, especially iseful at this time of year.

Your shadow points to those that cans see you. So if a low sun is at your back with long shadow out in front of you be aware of junctions ahead, you may be in the glare of the sun for people in front of you.

If the sun is in your eyes with a long shadow behind then people approaching from the rear will have a hard time seeing you. Be especially careful when pulling over to the right.

Good lights front and rear will help you be spotted easier when you are in the periphery of the glare.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is it up to the police or can the CPS bring it to court anyway?

Charging decided by a senior CPS lawyer with some input from the police.

Ultimately, it's down to the lawyer which can lead to clashes with the cops.

A lot of these cases are very close calls.

If it's anything it is death by careless driving.

But one might say a motorist who slows in adverse visibility and takes what action she can - shields here eyes - to improve visibility, is driving carefully and competently, not carelessly.

Lots of pressure these days to charge someone with something after a death on the road.

But the law still allows - sometimes - for something that is an accident.

clockman

Über Member
You can be blinded by the sun irrespective of your speed. It can happen when walking doing <1mph
That's even lamer and more riddled with logical fallacies than the previous lame point you made. Keep digging.

Walking at <1mph, you can stop, instantly. Anyone who is riding or driving and not taking into account the conditions is asking for trouble. Plan ahead, it's simples. Just like too many other people on the highway not using any common sense and far to quick to blame anyone or thing, rather than themselves.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Charging decided by a senior CPS lawyer with some input from the police.

Ultimately, it's down to the lawyer which can lead to clashes with the cops.

A lot of these cases are very close calls.

If it's anything it is death by careless driving.

But one might say a motorist who slows in adverse visibility and takes what action she can - shields here eyes - to improve visibility, is driving carefully and competently, not carelessly.

Lots of pressure these days to charge someone with something after a death on the road.

But the law still allows - sometimes - for something that is an accident.

Did the driver slow? I did not see this mentioned in the report. I ask as another driver did mention visibility was limited to "20 yards" (presumably at or almost at the same time as the fatal collision), but this would suggest, even on a wet road, that a competent driver could stop if travelling at 20mph or lower.

I would guess the CPS thought a jury would not convict as the driver was doing something "reasonable" by attempting to shield their eyes, even though the unintended consequence was to obscure the road ahead.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have suddenly turned a corner and been blinded by sunlight, it can happen without warning or enough time to slow down.
That happened to me once. I was driving at about 20mph down a winding country lane with tall hedges on either side. Rounding a corner, low sunlight hit the windscreen. Instantly it looked like it had become "frosted" and I could see absolutely nothing. I braked to a halt, still unable to see a thing, and then realised that somebody could suffer the same problem and ram into the back of me. It was really scary. The windscreen was pretty clean too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I also find that glass cleaner makes the glass smeary so that next time the windscreen is illuminated by sun against a dark background I am annoyed to see how badly I've cleaned it! I just use a clean old towel and give the windscreen and side windows a good dry polish. It's hard work and makes my arms ache but it does remove all the plasticiser film.

Car valets have miracle glass polish that's formulated like traditional Windolene; a powerful solvent and a chalky paste. This (or Windolene) works very well indeed but if you happen to drip it on your dashboard you'll rue it forever as it's almost impossible to remove the chalky stuff from the grain of the vinyl.

On the driver in the original post, possibly she wasn't tall enough or hadn't got her seat adjsted high enough for the sun visor to be of any use. With the sun visor down, sunglasses on and clean windows, even low sun on a wet road isn't a problem.

Top Bottom