Driver put her hand over her eyes, killed cyclist, no charges.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I also find that glass cleaner makes the glass smeary so that next time the windscreen is illuminated by sun against a dark background I am annoyed to see how badly I've cleaned it! I just use a clean old towel and give the windscreen and side windows a good dry polish. It's hard work and makes my arms ache but it does remove all the plasticiser film.

Car valets have miracle glass polish that's formulated like traditional Windolene; a powerful solvent and a chalky paste. This (or Windolene) works very well indeed but if you happen to drip it on your dashboard you'll rue it forever as it's almost impossible to remove the chalky stuff from the grain of the vinyl.

On the driver in the original post, possibly she wasn't tall enough or hadn't got her seat adjsted high enough for the sun visor to be of any use. With the sun visor down, sunglasses on and clean windows, even low sun on a wet road isn't a problem.

Which is why I asked the question. Thank you.^_^

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Does anyone know what offence she admitted to for a caution to be administered?

GC

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What I think is worth bearing in mind generally, is how good your brain is at filling in the gaps it can't see.

A while ago I was driving and I had some sun coming through some trees, which meant it was flashing brightly in my eyes - alternating quickly between light and shade. I obviously slowed down to account for it, but I had to make a real effort to "override" my brain, which was trying to tell me that the road was clear. In fact there was a cyclist in front which was much harder to see than normal.

It's obviously something that all drivers ought to be doing, but equally obviously many do not.

snailracer

Über Member
What I think is worth bearing in mind generally, is how good your brain is at filling in the gaps it can't see.

A while ago I was driving and I had some sun coming through some trees, which meant it was flashing brightly in my eyes - alternating quickly between light and shade. I obviously slowed down to account for it, but I had to make a real effort to "override" my brain, which was trying to tell me that the road was clear. In fact there was a cyclist in front which was much harder to see than normal.

It's obviously something that all drivers ought to be doing, but equally obviously many do not.
One would also have to balance the probabilities of there being a cyclist in front against those of a car running into the back of you.

Top Bottom