Driver speed awareness course

bianchi1

Guru
Location
malverns
Anyone else done one?

I got done a few weeks ago on a mobile speed camera close to where I live. It's a regular spot that zaps loads of people, 30 mph limit, not built up, no schools and clear view of road for 200 yards+, Still no excuse and I was happy to take my 3 points.

Then I was offered a course instead as I was not going that fast over the 30 ( 34). It was an interesting experience and what a mix of people!! A few clearly did not want to be there and made their feelings known. As for me I just found it all a bit obvious. Loads if info as to why it's dangerous to speed past schools at 3 30 etc, but the reality was most people on the course were done in other areas.
 

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Location
Meanwood, Leeds
bianchi1 said:
Anyone else done one?
I won't tempt fate so I'll talk about my colleague.

He's taken six points and turned down the speed awareness course alternatives.
 

TheDoctor

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
Ermmm...I have:blush:
I actually found it quite useful. It's over 20 years since I last had any driving tuition, so a wee bit of a refresher was no bad thing.
 

Night Train

Maker of Things
TheDoctor said:
Ermmm...I have:blush:
I actually found it quite useful. It's over 20 years since I last had any driving tuition, so a wee bit of a refresher was no bad thing.
I still find it strange that this is the case.

Why are there not refresher courses for drivers to update their skills and knowledge? We have no objection to doing them for our other skills when at work and many people either drive to work or drive for work.

I'm too busy telling other people about speed awareness to be bothered with needing to do a course.
 

Cubist

Still wavin'
Location
Ovver 'thill
I have:blush:

I was heading for 9 points at the time, so 60 quid and a lost afternoon was preferable to facing a ban under "totting-up" for the next camera.

I will, hand on heart, say it has made me far more careful of my speed. Where I used to nick a few miles per hour (eg 45 in a 40 etc etc) I now sit bang on the speed limit if the road is clear, or it's safe to do so.
 

Globalti

Legendary Member
I drive at below the speed limit in many places. I also exceed the speed limit on the motorway late at night when there's no other traffic. Is that speed awareness?
 
The problem with this is that it is not seen by many in the right context.

A few years ago we had a visit on the old C+ from a certain "Road Safety organisation"

The opinion was that this was an advanced driving course and had trained them to be aware of speed - therefore they were even better qualified to judge their own speed and drive at a "Safe Speed" even if it was well above the speed limit.
 

buggi

Bird Saviour
Location
Solihull
i've been on one. most of us had the same attitude when we arrived, why were we on it but not the more serious offenders? (anyone caught doing above 5mph over the speed limit didn't get a choice to attend). but to be honest, it did make me think about my speed.

At the end when they ask us how we thought the course was, my own thoughts (and i told them) was that yes, it was a good course, but i still stood by the fact that i thought more serious offenders should still go on it. in fact, we were given the choice. they should be forced as part of their punishment.
 

wafflycat

New Member
Oddly enough there's an article in today's Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/7750774/From-ire-to-humility-in-one-speeding-class.html

"No one had a good word to say about the speed cameras, of course. But the anger was gone, and in its place was something rather surprising: a sense of humility. We had come to grasp the uncomfortable truth: it wasn't the cameras' fault that we were going too fast. It was ours."
 

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
buggi said:
i've been on one. most of us had the same attitude when we arrived, why were we on it but not the more serious offenders? (anyone caught doing above 5mph over the speed limit didn't get a choice to attend). but to be honest, it did make me think about my speed.

At the end when they ask us how we thought the course was, my own thoughts (and i told them) was that yes, it was a good course, but i still stood by the fact that i thought more serious offenders should still go on it. in fact, we were given the choice. they should be forced as part of their punishment.
I agree with this.
I've done one too, I found it very informative and try and practice what I learned. THough on M-ways I have founds my speed creeping-up :tongue: from time to time, though for the most part I am generally more leisurely than before.

However, why all offenders don't get to do this (in addition to fines + points) is somewhat beyond me. We need driving refreshers say every 5 years with a minimum competency test to be passed.

My experience of the other course participants was interesting.
Some just sat there, went through the motions and went home.
Others were very gobby about speed cameras yadda yadda yadda and the 'Safespeed' style arguments (I must admit I quipped about speed cameras being a tax on the stupid... they still didn't get it!).
And a few were genuinely interested in improvement.

What did surprise me was how little knowledge there was of the highway code there seemed to be amongst those present. If nothing else that should be a major part of a 5 year refresher course. There's a lot of ignorance out there.
 
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Location
malverns
That was one of the big points of the course that it is a lack of concentration that is often the problem. Basically driving on auto pilot.
 

Davidc

Guru
Location
Somerset UK
I think Buggi is right. Anyone speeding should be sent on one. The appropriate combination of penalties is another matter.

I'll just go on avoiding one by not speeding though.
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
However, why all offenders don't get to do this (in addition to fines + points) is somewhat beyond me. We need driving refreshers say every 5 years with a minimum competency test to be passed.

.
As a former ADI I can tell you that this would be logistically imposible. The DSA have enough trouble sourcing sufficient test centres and examiners to cope with 1.5 million L tests every year, to add another six million tests to the equation wouldn't work.

It would also be of little or no benefit. The real dangerous drivers out there are mostly skilled at car control, bursting with confidence and could easily adapt their driving to suit an examiner for an hour, then rvert to type afterwards. It would be the concientious and safe drivers who would take the hit as their nerves went to shreds on the day, with the prospect of unemployment looming for many who would have their licences taken away.

Better enforcement and stiffer penalties for driving offences would be far more effective. You could virtually end speeding and mobile phone use tomorrow if everyone caught had a clamp put on their vehicle on the spot and not removed for 48 hours on payment of a suitable fee. How you gonna get home? Should have thought of that first.
 

Cubist

Still wavin'
Location
Ovver 'thill
Cunobelin said:
The problem with this is that it is not seen by many in the right context.

A few years ago we had a visit on the old C+ from a certain "Road Safety organisation"

The opinion was that this was an advanced driving course and had trained them to be aware of speed - therefore they were even better qualified to judge their own speed and drive at a "Safe Speed" even if it was well above the speed limit.
No, this is getting muddled messages here. The speed awareness course as an alternative to points and a fine does not, at any point, seek to justify driving over the speed limit, at any time or for any reason.

The "I am a safe and good driver because I am trained to drive and therefore can choose which speed limits to ignore" is the trite bollocks poured out ad nauseam by anti-gatso letter writers to local papers, and other people who spend their time moaning about the nanny state, believing they are far better than the "average driver" and can therefore go about the country endangering others at will.

Rant mode off. ;)
 
How long does it take to glance at your speedo?


Probably no longer than it takes to adjust the radio, light your fag, change the air conditioning, switch on the windscreen wipers or lights, answer your phone, deal with the squabbling kids in the back, read a map, alter or look at the SatNav etc.....

Why is it that everyone is happy that they are able to perform all of these tasks safely yet looking at your speedo is immediately dangerous and a threat to all around.?
 
Top Bottom