Driver speed awareness course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I last changed my car a huge factor in my choice was the provision of a speed limiter. I drive a large, quiet, powerful, automatic car and it is easy to exceed limits if constant attention is not paid to the speedo. My car has a limiter - when I enter a different speed limit I just flick a lever to set a desired top speed, and the car will respond to the throttle up to that speed and no more (unless kickdown is engaged). I can then concentrate on driving well without having to spend loads of time checking the speedo. It is a fantastic tool, and every car I ever own from now on will have it.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
xpc316e said:
When I last changed my car a huge factor in my choice was the provision of a speed limiter. I drive a large, quiet, powerful, automatic car and it is easy to exceed limits if constant attention is not paid to the speedo. My car has a limiter - when I enter a different speed limit I just flick a lever to set a desired top speed, and the car will respond to the throttle up to that speed and no more (unless kickdown is engaged). I can then concentrate on driving well without having to spend loads of time checking the speedo. It is a fantastic tool, and every car I ever own from now on will have it.

There was someone on the course with one of these. He swore he had set it to the appropriate speed but still got done.

As for all this constantly looking at your speedo stuff, it should not be needed apparently. You should be able to judge your speed without. One aid that was suggested was to open your windows as you enter a 30 as it helps you appreciate your actual speed.

darkstar

I find the most dangerous period in terms of speed is the few minutes after leaving the motor way. I've often found i driving along at what i consider to be a sensible speed, only to look at the speedo to find i'm way over the 40 limit...

I've been driving just over 3 years now and i've got no points, have had one of those letter through from the people who sit around in anoraks clocking people.

I've been through a couple of defensive driving courses after getting speeding tickets here in the US. There's no point's system over here, but for ever ticket you get your insurance goes up and for subsequent tickets you may get fined more for being a frequent offender. Doing the course means the record of the ticket is deleted.
On the plus side, once you've completed the course you can also apply for a 5% discount on your driving insurance.

They don't seem to care why you're doing the course in the first place.

bianchi1 said:
As for all this constantly looking at your speedo stuff, it should not be needed apparently. You should be able to judge your speed without. One aid that was suggested was to open your windows as you enter a 30 as it helps you appreciate your actual speed.

There is a solid argument that a competent driver should be able to gather all the clues such as gear, engine noise, visual information etc to have a reasonable accurate idea of their speed. Especially considering the fairly generous error margins involved.

wafflycat

Cunobelin said:
There is a solid argument that a competent driver should be able to gather all the clues such as gear, engine noise, visual information etc to have a reasonable accurate idea of their speed. Especially considering the fairly generous error margins involved.

+1

Keeping to the speed limit on any given stretch of road is a *basic* driving skill we've all had to demonstrate competency in in order to get our full driving licences. If, once you've passed your test it becomes so difficult to maintain that competency, then those so afflicted really should get themselves some remedial driving lessons before being allowed solo in charge of a vehicle again! There really is no excuse.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
*hangs head in shame*
Please forgive me. I won't do it again.

GrasB

Veteran
Cubist said:
The "I am a safe and good driver because I am trained to drive and therefore can choose which speed limits to ignore" is the trite bollocks...
+1 Advanced driving in the sense of RoadCraft & any additional car control tutoring only applies to you not the people around you. From my point of view I might be able to control the car plus make the judgments at those elevated speeds & still remain safe but I don't just have to drive to my limits. There are other people on the road which have to make judgments & those people may not have the ability to properly evaluate the situation & thus make the wrong judgment call.

wafflycat

TheDoctor said:
*hangs head in shame*
Please forgive me. I won't do it again.

Only if you allow me to give you a darned good thrashing with a head of celery :sad:

On a more serious note... anyone can make an error. What annoys me is when you get someone being done for speeding and they whinge & moan about the unfairness of it all, the poor oppressed motorist, the 'why don't the police catch real criminals' whine, and the 'I was in a rush and there was no-one about!' type excuses, and the habitual speeders... If someone caught simply takes the fine/points/course, doesn't try to make excuses, try to get out of it, and makes an effort to drive better in the future, then Fairy Nuff. But it's the whingers, moaners & 'it's not my fault' morons that annoy me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Only if you allow me to give you a darned good thrashing with a head of celery :sad:

On a more serious note... anyone can make an error. What annoys me is when you get someone being done for speeding and they whinge & moan about the unfairness of it all, the poor oppressed motorist, the 'why don't the police catch real criminals' whine, and the 'I was in a rush and there was no-one about!' type excuses, and the habitual speeders... If someone caught simply takes the fine/points/course, doesn't try to make excuses, try to get out of it, and makes an effort to drive better in the future, then Fairy Nuff. But it's the whingers, moaners & 'it's not my fault' morons that annoy me.

A mate of mine was a traffic cop. His answer to "Why aren't you out catching real criminals" was, "I would be if it wasn't for prats like you".

shippers

When I got knocked off by a lady in a badly driven Fiat back in Feb, the Police gave me the option of hr going on a driving stadards couse- I frgt the nae of it, but it's similar to these courses.

I thought it was a cracking idea- a drivr made a mistake and I got hurt. Give her points, a fine, and a feeling of resentment, or train her to be a better driver. No brainer to me!

Smokin Joe said:
A mate of mine was a traffic cop. His answer to "Why aren't you out catching real criminals" was, "I would be if it wasn't for prats like you".

Why should they persecute these poor criminals, it only a revenue raising exercise fining all these poor hard done by criminals. They would be unable to proceed safely without looking for Police Officers all the time... etc

albal

Guru
whenever i slow down on approaching a 30 limit to do 30 there is usually a car sat on my rear bumper.
If you wanna do 39 ? fine but..., behind me you will do 30.
NO excuse .. sorry school or no school.
had 3 pts since 1985 for speeding. none since. Not a (wknd) driver either. 44 trips ES/PORTUGAL annually til Eu got 'bigger'.!!!!!???

Top Bottom