Driver tries to kill cyclist, hits building.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

story's been updated:

In a statement emailed to road.cc, the Metropolitan Police said:

Police were called at around 18:00hrs on Saturday, 7 June, to a collision between a car and a cyclist in Park Road, Kingston-upon-Thames.

The car was subsequently in collision with a hairdresser's shop.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the scene. The male cyclist was taken to hospital with a small cut to his arm. He was discharged that evening.

The driver of the car, a 30-year-old woman, was arrested on suspicion of attempted GBH. She was taken to a south-west London police station and bailed to return on a date in September.

At this early stage, officers believe there had been a heated argument between the cyclist and the driver while both were stationary. During the course of the dispute, the cyclist kicked the car, an Audi Q7. The woman drove the car away and was in collision with the cyclist and then the shop.

Officers from Kingston CID are investigating. Enquiries continue to establish the full circumstances.

Crankarm

Guru
This story is simply hair raising. Imagine if she had struck the cyclist, he would have no doubt been killed. She should be charged with attempted murder. Why he felt the need to kick the vehicle is a mystery. She must have done/said something very bad.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Trust me...
The driver will walk.
"Panic, fear of assault, lost control of vehicle , angry cyclist, blah blah"
Just for a giggle, somebody really should start a CC poll on the outcome.

It's on a local FB group. Most people on there unfortunately go from saying it was an overreaction to that as cyclists are aggressive around the park it was only a matter of time and bring in compulsory registration for bikes, most of them shouldn't be on the road etc. very sad response but not unique amongst many people...

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'd love to see her insurance claim form:

Her :"I was trying to run over the cyclist, but didn't mean to hit the other car and building"

Insurance Clerk :"Errm...p*ss off love, we're not paying for your stupid tank."

On a serious note, I hope she gets the book thrown at her. I can't imagine her insurance will payout for her Q7, but should for the Shop, other car & bike. A Q7 is very expensive and assuming it's on an HP deal, she will be paying for that for YEARS, plus any insurance renewal will be sky high. Can't say I feel sorry for her one bit.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd love to see her insurance claim form:

Her :"I was trying to run over the cyclist, but didn't mean to hit the other car and building"

Insurance Clerk :"Errm...p*ss off love, we're not paying for your stupid tank."

On a serious note, I hope she gets the book thrown at her. I can't imagine her insurance will payout for her Q7, but should for the Shop, other car & bike. A Q7 is very expensive and assuming it's on an HP deal, she will be paying for that for YEARS, plus any insurance renewal will be sky high. Can't say I feel sorry for her one bit.

Her insurance probably will go up, but by a strange logic, if it's not an "accident" then they won't have to pay, so presumably her "no claims" remains intact
(glossing over any claim by the shop here of course)

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Her insurance probably will go up, but by a strange logic, if it's not an "accident" then they won't have to pay, so presumably her "no claims" remains intact
(glossing over any claim by the shop here of course)

I'm sure they have a clause about "deliberate acts of aggression" ie road rage, and can refuse payout for all but the 3rd parties. (off to google it now...), this claim for the 3rd parties WOULD effect her no claims I'm sure.

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/road-rage-your-car-insurance-rights

This seems to suggest that a refusal would be pretty standard in this case...although it does depend upon each insurer.

Whatever happens, she is looking at either time at HM pleasure and/or a large fine, but will have serious financial consequences for years to come (and rightfully so).

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If she has to pay to fix a totalled Q7 w**k panzer, I expect any minor savings offset by not losing her ncb will offer scant discomfort. Also, if prosecuted she'll have to tell her insurance company which won't be pretty either in terms of impact on premiums.

Insurance companies are programmed to pay out as little as they can get away with, so hopefully they'll give her a suitably rough time. As will big Donna in Pentonville hopefully!

jarlrmai

Veteran
My totally unbiased and in no way probably accurate speculation on events

Close pass/MGIF
Debate at lights
1st attempt to drive car at cyclist, met by fend off kick
Cyclist rides off ahead of car
2nd more serious attempt ends in car crashing into shop.

Kick will be used to mitigate in court. Driver will have felt threatened inside her 2 ton steel vehicle.

This is attempted murder, again touching peoples cars is again the seemingly the most heinous thing you can do to someone, they will literally lose it. Do not do it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How can it be attempted Gbh if she hit him and he cut his arm. Hopefully, he'll take some legal action for the injury too

It can't be much else.

To prove attempted murder, the Crown would have to convince a jury the woman wanted to kill the cyclist.

We don't know the circumstances, but if she ran him over once and stopped, she's not - beyond reasonable doubt - trying to kill him - why not reverse and have another go?

However, anyone who deliberately drives a car into a cyclist - even if 'only' once - is almost certainly trying to injure the cyclist.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Quick Googling shows the charge in similar cases is often attempted murder, especially if the victim is a police officer. If the cyclist has been trapped between the building and a two ton car I'm pretty sure it would have been a fatality.

Top Bottom