Drivers: Go ahead and hit a cyclist. A bit of fun for only £90

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
£90 ironically thats a harsh treatment when it comes to hitting a cyclist :wacko:

BSRU

A Human Being
It shows our system of justice is a complete joke. How it be a lesser crime than dropping a cigarette but?

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
That RAB is on one of my routes to work, depending which way I go, usually involving a climb and then uphill onto the RAB to turn right

I won't do it if my legs aren't well loosened up and don't feel like powering away fast from a standing start as even many drivers are scared by the speed and agression on there..everyone is going onto it fast, so to get onto it, people accellerate even faster onto it, so to get on it people accelerate even faster and even faster....and then the queue in the correct lane may be longer so they just use a different one and cut across

It seems motorists get fined more for getting a cyclist than for a pedestrian. My mother-in-law was struck at 50mph in a 30mph town centre by an unlicensed driver that fled the scene leaving her in the road not breathing, her heart stopped and with a severe brain injury. The motorist was fined £66.

It seems motorists get fined more for getting a cyclist than for a pedestrian. My mother-in-law was struck at 50mph in a 30mph town centre by an unlicensed driver that fled the scene leaving her in the road not breathing, her heart stopped and with a severe brain injury. The motorist was fined £66.

Jeez, she has my sincere sympathies. If the driver had just scratched another car they probably would have got more :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
'The driver was given a £90 fine, four points on his licence, a £15 victim surcharge and ordered to pay £35 in court costs at Sheffield Magistrates' Court for driving without due care and attention.'

Just to be accurate, there's no mention of the circumstances of the collision either, and of course he can sue on their insurance

The bloke that turned right across me two years ago and could very easily have killed me got awareness trainging despite me chosing that he be prosecuted when the MET asked me what I wanted

bauldbairn

I daresay some of the more aggressive drivers might think it's worth it to teach a cyclist to get out of their way...after all, what's £90?

http://www.thestar.c...p?articlepage=1

This is the problem - bad drivers read this and think "f**k *t" it's worth knocking a cyclist off his/her bike. The punishment does not fit the crime. Hopefully he will have more luck with his private prosecution and the driver will feel some financial hardship due to his actions - but I somehow doubt it.

al78

Guru
I daresay some of the more aggressive drivers might think it's worth it to teach a cyclist to get out of their way...after all, what's £90?

http://www.thestar.c...p?articlepage=1

In reality it will cost him/her way more than £90 since his/her insurance will skyrocket from now on.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Doesn't surprise me, the police allegedly have history for blaming cyclists for collisions on that roundabout. Good for them if they didn't and it was the court's fault, but it sadly wouldn't surprise me if they'd taken a harsher view than would be fair.

jimboalee

At least the motorist went to court and his name is known.

A wiley old chap once said to me "If I'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'll make bloody sure I don't go alone. Look at this list of bastards who have upset me".

Top Bottom