Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I think you must be exaggerating, how could you possibly hear what was being said in a following vehicle even if you were both driving with your windows wound down?

all 4 windows down, doing less than 10mph in a rural area, he was tailgating I couldn't hear every word but I could see him in the mirror and hear basically the swear words.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I'd have given him 4 stiff fingers in the windpipe, in the honestly held belief that he was about to attack me.

nah you need to put your hands up in a placating manor before you clock them, least any CCTV makes it look like you were being less agressive, also let them swing first.

Always found the haymakers easy to avoid, or you block it and punch the bicep.

C R

Guru
Just back from my evening ride. The last bit of road just before I get home has a 30mph limit. There's a short sharp ramp, with a bend to the left at the summit am a turn to the right into a quite popular cycle path. As I reached the bottom of the ramp I could see two cyclists reaching the turn for the cycle path and indicating, just at the same time I hear a car behind starting to overtake, obviously oblivious to the cyclists ahead turning right across his path. I threw my arm out hoping that they would stop, but they didn't, and another car immediately followed despite my signals. Luckily the cyclists ahead got out of the way just in time, but for a moment I really feared the worst. Is there any hope when drivers can't see past what's immediately ahead of their bonnet?

Mr Whyte

So what is he going to tell plod, that he was a road raging twat?

Some thing like this.

Officer: How can we help you Sir.
Fool: Well I was tail gating some one who would not cut up some cyclists officer, as I had to get past. Then making a fool of my self in front of a school.
Officer: Tail gating is a crime Sir, so I suggest you go home and calm down then read up on the Highway code Sir, before we arrest you for waisting Police time.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I've had a bottle-swigging guy get out of his car and tell me to "f***ing MOVE!" into a box junction just so he could turn left without waiting. As this was in Tidworth (shudder) he was probably a squaddie just back from Iraq, so I didn't argue. He was almost certainly violent and trained to do a lot of damage.
I like to think it was coincidence, but if you’re convinced then drop the car and driver details in to the guardroom and maybe prevent something worse happening next time. (I’m sure you already know that not everyone who lives in a garrison town is a ‘squaddie’, and not al soldiers are idiots.)

davidphilips

Veteran
Never know the utter douche driver could be high on drugs/drink or have an anger problem whatever, the good news was you shielded the cyclists so perhaps saved them from a nasty accident. Only a mater of time before the douche falls foul of the law and gets caught or turns on some one else with similar problems, either way dont think he has a rosy future in front of him.

DSK

Sadly its driver mentality, they drive like self righteous know it all twats, innocent people with a brain cell see the potential scenario build up and have already planned and taken action to avoid the tw@ts, who then get away without any incident, thinking they are awesome.

Sadly, what we need is LOTS and LOTS of undercover police out in force, looking for just this sort of retarded uncalled for behaviour and a law that makes such offences seriously punishable with severe penalties. Because the law and society know it happens, not enough action is taken to stop it other than print it in a highway code, such incidents become accepted forms of normality.

I have seen people do some seriously fvcked up stuff in view of a police car and even they ignore it......

I had an incident at the weekend, where I was doing an indicated 31mph (29mph GPS) on a wide open 2 way urban street with a 30mph limit, which, also occasionally has speed camera vans hidden. I go past a car that steams upto a T-junction on my left, then he catches me up, sits on my @ss dangerously (despite me having mrs and baby in the back with a baby sign in window). He tries a few overtakes which failed due to oncoming traffic, then he goes past eventually , on the wrong side of the road, brake checks me waving a hand gesture and then speeds off again. Now, I have a baby crying due to the brake check, which I did not expect as he had a whole open road to overtake and there was no provocation from me.

Oh, I must apologise for driving at the permitted speed limit, not reacting to being bullied via tail gating and taking my family safely to our destination, rather driving a modern shi!t box with a food blender for an engine like its been stolen. :wacko: Seriously, medi-evil torture and zero tolerance is what we need to deal with reprobates!

Drago

Legendary Member
Sadly its driver mentality, they drive like self righteous know it all twats, innocent people with a brain cell see the potential scenario build up and have already planned and taken action to avoid the tw@ts, who then get away without any incident, thinking they are awesome.

Sadly, what we need is LOTS and LOTS of undercover police out in force, looking for just this sort of retarded uncalled for behaviour and a law that makes such offences seriously punishable with severe penalties. Because the law and society know it happens, not enough action is taken to stop it other than print it in a highway code, such incidents become accepted forms of normality.

I have seen people do some seriously fvcked up stuff in view of a police car and even they ignore it......

I had an incident at the weekend, where I was doing an indicated 31mph (29mph GPS) on a wide open 2 way urban street with a 30mph limit, which, also occasionally has speed camera vans hidden. I go past a car that steams upto a T-junction on my left, then he catches me up, sits on my @ss dangerously (despite me having mrs and baby in the back with a baby sign in window). He tries a few overtakes which failed due to oncoming traffic, then he goes past eventually , on the wrong side of the road, brake checks me waving a hand gesture and then speeds off again. Now, I have a baby crying due to the brake check, which I did not expect as he had a whole open road to overtake and there was no provocation from me.

Oh, I must apologise for driving at the permitted speed limit, not reacting to being bullied via tail gating and taking my family safely to our destination, rather driving a modern shi!t box with a food blender for an engine like its been stolen. :wacko: Seriously, medi-evil torture and zero tolerance is what we need to deal with reprobates!
This is why I drive an XC90. I can drive sensibly and to the limit, and impatient people in poverty cars arent tempted to take liberties tailgating or brake checking me. It's sad that a sensible driver has to drive an APC before eejuts in a hurry will leave them alone.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Just back from my evening ride. The last bit of road just before I get home has a 30mph limit. There's a short sharp ramp, with a bend to the left at the summit am a turn to the right into a quite popular cycle path. As I reached the bottom of the ramp I could see two cyclists reaching the turn for the cycle path and indicating, just at the same time I hear a car behind starting to overtake, obviously oblivious to the cyclists ahead turning right across his path. I threw my arm out hoping that they would stop, but they didn't, and another car immediately followed despite my signals. Luckily the cyclists ahead got out of the way just in time, but for a moment I really feared the worst. Is there any hope when drivers can't see past what's immediately ahead of their bonnet?

I think many drive on pure muscle memory, they are virtually asleep driving the same route so some things don’t compute.

I was at a cross roads the other week and a driver turning right into my road stopped and berated me for my road position, basically she was pissed she couldn’t cut the corner like she does every morning, which is what I pointed out.

There isn’t helping some people, my partial commutes came to a end thanks to totally moronic drivers in Tunbridge Wells, it just wasn’t worth risking my health every time I did it.

tyred

Legendary Member
If these type pf people are in such a hurry, why have they time to stop to have an argument?

A few years ago, I was driving a tractor and trailer (a 1970s Zetor so probably ~15mph top speed) on a narrow road when a red Golf came up behind me continuously sounding the horn and flashing the headlamps. Perhaps about 100 yards up the road there was a place on my left where a new house was being built and the hedge had been taken away so I'd thought I'd pull in there and let the idiot go. I pulled in and stopped and as I had done so I realised the Golf had disappeared. I saw it as it had pulled into a house on the right. Clearly someone was so impatient that they took offence at me delaying them for a few seconds on the final few yards of their journey. I often thought that if I'd been cycling at the same speed at the same place, the Golf driver would have forced past even though there wouldn't have been space but with the tractor he was never going to do something like that as several tons of ancient Czech tractor would have done an excellent re-styling job on his little VW.:becool:

DSK

I have 3 older 1998-2000 modified Volvos (had those for about 11 years) and the family wagon is a CLS 3.0 diesel. Even with a GSXR-1000 and a modified UK Supra TT, I don't have a pedal to the metal or, oooh this is just slow and boring attitude. I can drive/ride happily at and below the permitted limits and use the performance occasionally as and where conditions may allow. However, I am pleased to say have done about 1,000 miles a week (yes a week) for the 15 years around the country, I have never had a traffic violation. My motto is, obey the signs, you'll not be fined.

I just hate being a passenger in car with typical drivers/taxi's who do 35/45mph, in a 30 zone for example, have no observational skills, so only see a speed camera at the last second, slam on the damn brakes and then doddle around whinging about low speed limits, hidden signs, how you don't feel the speed and all that bollox. Then they drive on the arse of the car infront and go nuts if it needs to slow down or stop during the turn :whistle:...... err no, its because you have 0 driving skill and a lack of self control. :scratch:

Top Bottom