Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I wasn't the cyclist here but was doing the school run in my car, there is a Dad and son who cycle to school using a tag along.

Anyway I was following the Dad/Son and this utter douche is behind me shouting and screaming as I won't overtake, it's a small road and meeting on-coming traffic leaves you no room to maneuver, at this point it's a series of 3 back to back blind corners, it's not safe to overtake and I didn't so I started to slow down, it's on hill so you slow fast and the S-Max brake lights are highly visible it's a brick of a car, this guy was tailgating pretty badly.

I overtook the bike when safe on the straight and wider part of the road, but the numptey followed me to discuss my actions, I'm not arguing at the school gates, kids are around and it's not fair.

He said I will have a visit from the plod later, that's fine I will discuss it with them I don't care, his attitude towards a vulnerable road user was disgusting, this is why I now avoid all main roads on my rides now and only ride on the small country roads.

I think my stupid grin as he was whacking a drink bottle into his hand like some bat was meant to be threatening but it looked comedic, didn't help.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just another one of lifes twats I'm afraid.

C R

Guru
I wasn't the cyclist here but was doing the school run in my car, there is a Dad and son who cycle to school using a tag along.

Anyway I was following the Dad/Son and this utter douche is behind me shouting and screaming as I won't overtake, it's a small road and meeting on-coming traffic leaves you no room to maneuver, at this point it's a series of 3 back to back blind corners, it's not safe to overtake and I didn't so I started to slow down, it's on hill so you slow fast and the S-Max brake lights are highly visible it's a brick of a car, this guy was tailgating pretty badly.

I overtook the bike when safe on the straight and wider part of the road, but the numptey followed me to discuss my actions, I'm not arguing at the school gates, kids are around and it's not fair.

He said I will have a visit from the plod later, that's fine I will discuss it with them I don't care, his attitude towards a vulnerable road user was disgusting, this is why I now avoid all main roads on my rides now and only ride on the small country roads.

I think my stupid grin as he was whacking a drink bottle into his hand like some bat was meant to be threatening but it looked comedic, didn't help.
So what is he going to tell plod, that he was a road raging twat?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
So what is he going to tell plod, that he was a road raging twat?

He said because I slowed down, and the limit is 40.

I said it's a limit not a target, and you should drive to the conditions, blind corner and vulnerable road user etc

I think Ian summed it up perfectly to be honest.

To be honest the way he was driving I was happy to put my car between him and the cyclist.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've had a bottle-swigging guy get out of his car and tell me to "f***ing MOVE!" into a box junction just so he could turn left without waiting. As this was in Tidworth (shudder) he was probably a squaddie just back from Iraq, so I didn't argue. He was almost certainly violent and trained to do a lot of damage.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Meh. It'll be like when I was a barman and the pissed up yahoos we kicked out said they'd be waiting for me at closing time to beat me up. They never were, probably too busy puking on some poor girl's shoes in the shitty nightclub in town, or racially abusing the kebab vendors.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've had similar tailgaters - the real danger is that they get impatient enough to try and get past you and the bike; I will try and drive defensively on behalf of myself and the cyclist if I believe this risk is real and will position my car to discourage such notions.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I've had similar tailgaters - the real danger is that they get impatient enough to try and get past you and the bike; I will try and drive defensively on behalf of myself and the cyclist if I believe this risk is real and will position my car to discourage such notions.

That's the real issue, and when someone comes the other way I can guarantee they will choose to pull in fast and wipe out the cyclist.

DSK

Its precisely these road users who make our roads a danger. Zero observation, anticipation and planning skills, but, happily drive in a manner to cause their own sh!t and then blame the rest of the world for it.

Good for you doing the right thing and no doubt the tag along couple would have appreciated the breath of safety.

This is another example of why I insist on running front/rear cameras regardless of form of transport. The video always captures the full story and show what idiots these people are, even more so should this escalate.

Slick

Guru
Its precisely these road users who make our roads a danger. Zero observation, anticipation and planning skills, but, happily drive in a manner to cause their own sh!t and then blame the rest of the world for it.

Good for you doing the right thing and no doubt the tag along couple would have appreciated the breath of safety.

This is another example of why I insist on running front/rear cameras regardless of form of transport. The video always captures the full story and show what idiots these people are, even more so should this escalate.
How come it's always when you don't have the cameras that someone turns into a maniac?

I run a cyclic camera on the rear and only occasionally use my front mounted gopro, preferring to keep that for unusual rides. As I left work yesterday I forgot to turn it on and had nothing on the front and soon after I regretted it as this oncoming idot in a BM floored his car to try and get to a parked car blocking his path before me and then nearly put it on its nose trying to stop it before he hit it. Somehow this was my fault as the usual gesticulating and swearing came from the driver which I simply ignored. Not sure if this made him worse or not but I could hear the screeching of the tyres as he spun the car round and the roar of the engine getting closer but fortunately there was a car blocking the road attempting a 3 point turn which I normally would wait for but I just kept going so the bm was blocked which must have given him just enough time to realise what a dick he was being as I never saw 9r heard him again. Just to complicate things a bit further, just as I passed the car, I noticed what looked like a dad out cycling with 2 very small children that could have so easily got caught up in a nasty situation.

Probably a long way of telling the OP that I agree with them, unfortunately.

DSK

Depends on conditions but, if both windows are down and the conditions are quiet you can easily hear shouting from a vehicle. Had enough of it with drivers of the greater London region myself.

Top Bottom