Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
The title of this thread is just wrong, I have heaps of patience especially when I'm driving, and so do lots of other people I know who also drive.
On Saturday I followed a wobbly cyclist who didn't do cycling with confidence very well down a wee single track lane, I watched him from a nice safe distance, he pulled in after a while and let me go by, so I thanked him and happily carried on, I actually wanted him to carry on in front as just after he stopped there is a ford on the road, his wobbly way could have been quite entertaining through the water. Nobody was frightened, threatened, or hurt, which is what usually happens when I venture out on the road with either a bike or a car, I guess I must be a bit dull.

The title of this thread is just wrong, I have heaps of patience especially when I'm driving, and so do lots of other people I know who also drive.
On Saturday I followed a wobbly cyclist who didn't do cycling with confidence very well down a wee single track lane, I watched him from a nice safe distance, he pulled in after a while and let me go by, so I thanked him and happily carried on, I actually wanted him to carry on in front as just after he stopped there is a ford on the road, his wobbly way could have been quite entertaining through the water. Nobody was frightened, threatened, or hurt, which is what usually happens when I venture out on the road with either a bike or a car, I guess I must be a bit dull.
Heretic!

Slick

Guru
There are a few I wouldn't ride around here like the A9, 82, 84, 85. There designated as trunk roads but are mostly single carriageway, they still get driven on at motorway speeds. There are a few "cycle and pedestrian friendly" roads. Car access is usually restricted to residents only. These are often quite handy.
The A82 isn't so bad if you time it right. :okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There are a few I wouldn't ride around here like the A9, 82, 84, 85. There designated as trunk roads but are mostly single carriageway, they still get driven on at motorway speeds. There are a few "cycle and pedestrian friendly" roads. Car access is usually restricted to residents only. These are often quite handy.
Only bit of A85 I do is between Crieff and Lochearnhead and usually an early morning spin. Definitely wouldn't go on the A9. I don't even like crossing over it and wait ages for a nice clear gap in traffic :laugh:

lane

Veteran
So according to something I have come across online proposed changes to highway code include "ride in single file when drivers wish to overtake and it is safe for them to do so."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...-favor-cyclists-and-pedestrians/#390ccc5873ba

RichardB

Slightly retro
It would surprise you who is moving around at that time as I discovered on a recent trip to Fort William.
When I was commuting a few years ago, I would take a longer route on rural lanes to avoid riding on the A40 at busy times. Sometimes, my shift ended at 2 am and I took a shorter, quicker route on the A40. There is hardly any traffic at that time of night, sure, but bloody hell they drive fast. I did it twice, and then went back to the longer, hillier, quieter country lanes. I don't usually worry about traffic, but on these occasions I was genuinely in fear of my life.

Baldy

Über Member
New scheme in Nottingham £50 for professional driver to go on cyclists awareness course.

New scam in Nottingham £50 for professional drivers to go on cyclists awareness course.

There you go fixed that for you.

Top Bottom