Drivers, what is going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Riding my 600 over Wednesday and Thursday (organiser's check ride for this weekend's event), I encountered weekday and rush hour traffic at times.

There were a few close passes (either elderly creep past or personalised reg arrogant). Nothing more than irritating.

One driver tried to overtake towards a pinch point, but had to give up when it was clear I wasn't giving way.

One youngish driver kept coming out on a roundabout, while looking straight at me, until he realised that I wasn't going to stop, whereupon he relunctantly stopped to let me exit.

I find a certain degree of assertiveness helps enormously; and also cycling defensively. But obviously you will never make cycling risk-free.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a personalised reg!

Drago

Legendary Member
Thankyou. It's actually Mrs D's. I bought it for her 30th Birthday, but now she has a motability car ots an utter ballache to get it on the vehicle. Therefore, I was stuck with the choice of placing it on retention for £80 a year, or stick it on my car for as long as I wanted for free. Twas a £2k plate, probably worth more now, so I'm not letting it go.

Having said that, since it went on I ha e felt the urge to close pass and generally cut up cyclists.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I do hope you have the characters spaced incorrectly too, so it looks like it says something, at least to the owner. Most I see are meaningless.

Latest thing locally seems to be front reg plates in the windscreen, typically on Audi's with massive front grills.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

I notice personalised registrations when they do something stupid, which doesn't make for a scientific study of the proclivities of all of them. Certainly an old (and regrettably late) friend of mine had a very distinctive number plate and, indicative of how he drove, a brass tortoise mascot on the bonnet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Latest thing locally seems to be front reg plates in the windscreen, typically on Audi's with massive front grills.
Noticed a lot of that up here recently too, and was wondering what it's all about (and why the few remaining Police haven't jumped on the offenders). Is it code for something, or just another supposedly "cool" fad?

Drago

Legendary Member
I do hope you have the characters spaced incorrectly too, so it looks like it says something, at least to the owner. Most I see are meaningless.

Fortunately it's spells K155 and Mrs D's first name without any spacing silliness. I'd be a hopeless Audi owner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have done the private (mis-spaced :blush:) reg thing in the past but feel it was a justified excursion for one of my competition toys and not just a personal ego trip.....

J33P DP which should have read J 33 PDP

View attachment 279039

Most I see are meaningless.
Aside: why are they so inscrutable? They used to be in Australia too, but they changed the law to allow any non-obscene combination of 6 letters and numbers 30 years ago, which lead to delightful examples like FIZZIO and a lawyer friend of my mum: LITIG8. Then there was the persistent rumour that 6UL DV8 had been nearly approved before they realised But my personal favourite was the self aware, red, mid-market Japanese sports car that I often parked beside, FACILE. I later sadly found out that the owners were not self aware, but Italian. In Italian, facile (fa-chilly) means smoothly done, with ease. They weren't self aware at all, but they made a great toasted foccacia, so I was ok with that.

@I like Skol, I hope you forgive the brief divergence.

Last edited:

toffee

Guru
Must be the World Cup.
Had a few close passes in the last few days. Had my first SMIDSY from a driver in a local council van as he came up to a mini roundabout. Except he missed the Sorry bit off the exchange of words.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Noticed a lot of that up here recently too, and was wondering what it's all about (and why the few remaining Police haven't jumped on the offenders). Is it code for something, or just another supposedly "cool" fad?

Quite possibly an attempt to mask at least part of the plate from the static ANPR and speed cameras that are meant to have replaced the roads police..?

Although the car drivers may well claim that the sticky pads holding the plate on have just come unstuck in the hot weather and they're on the way to Halfords to buy some more right now, officer...

jarlrmai

Veteran
I have done the private (mis-spaced :blush:) reg thing in the past but feel it was a justified excursion for one of my competition toys and not just a personal ego trip.....

J33P DP which should have read J 33 PDP

View attachment 279039

001_$1.jpg

Top Bottom