Drivers, what is going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Well there is heavy water which instead of hydrogen has deuterium which is a hydrogen isotope.

A modern car has enough sensors fitted, feeding to various ECU units on the vehicle to allow for things like ABS, stability control and so on, that it would be easy to fit a black box recorder. If this was sealed and only accessable via some sort of control (court order?) in the event of a serious breach of the law or accident and used to prove who hit who/ how fast, did you brake/ take avoiding action. Couple that with stiff punishments and withdrawing licenses and it would only take a few cases to drastically reduce road crime.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A modern car has enough sensors fitted, feeding to various ECU units on the vehicle to allow for things like ABS, stability control and so on, that it would be easy to fit a black box recorder. If this was sealed and only accessable via some sort of control (court order?) in the event of a serious breach of the law or accident and used to prove who hit who/ how fast, did you brake/ take avoiding action. Couple that with stiff punishments and withdrawing licenses and it would only take a few cases to drastically reduce road crime.

Some cars already do pretty much all that, and the manufacturers (the only people who can access the data) demand a court order before they'll pass it on to the police.
My understanding is that it is incredibly rare for this to happen.

On autonomous cars, the insurance company will have access to a restricted set of data from immediately prior to the collision to assist them in dealing with a claim.

DRM

Guru
[QUOTE 5315549, member: 9609"]I wonder how barking mad it would become - on a 60 road there would be those who would choose to drive at 55, and there would be those that would have to overtake, and of course half way past, Mr 55 speeds up to 60, and Mr 60 who is now hung out on the wrong side of the road completely looses the plot and refuses to abort the overtake - round blind bends the lot. we would be seeing levels of road rage never previous encountered.[/QUOTE]

Its already like that, national speed limit on single carriageway is 50 mph for a van, or 60 mph on a dual carriageway, my work van has a tracker fitted so if I break the limit, the management know, instantly, it’s astounding how aggressively Audi’s, BMW’s etc tailgate you, thinking you’re doing it on purpose, well yes I am, not to annoy these clowns, but because it’s the law, it’s ignorance on their part, also the fact that in the last year I’ve only seen a handful of Police vehicles in around 12,000 miles of driving this year so far, the chances of being caught are slim to nil

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Let us not forget there are something like a million uninsured vehicles on the roads
I don't know how they get away with it. I thought there are cameras up all over roads these days,which means that if you pass one in an uninsured vehicle the authorities will come after you. Unless they just drive on roads where they know/think they aren't any cameras?

Drago

Legendary Member
They have to have someone free to come get you.

On a busy road, ANPR will ping a dozen of more vehicles of jnterest a minute. No car tax (which the Fed's ignore because the DVLA are the enforcement authority), used in crime, firearms markers, R/O is wanted, no insurance, no MOT, stolen vehicle, false plates (multiple pings of the same plate hundreds of miles apart in too shot a space of time)....if every copper in the country were dedicated to the task and did nothing else but grab suspects identified by ANPR on only 10 roads, there's be no coppers left after a few hours.

U

User6179

I don't know how they get away with it. I thought there are cameras up all over roads these days,which means that if you pass one in an uninsured vehicle the authorities will come after you. Unless they just drive on roads where they know/think they aren't any cameras?

False plates, put on number plates of a car the same make and model you know is taxed, insured and has a mot, quite easy now that you can search online.

screenman

Legendary Member

You think that the people driving uninsured have registered the car.

mustang1

Guru
I was hit by a car on a roundabout when I had right of way, pulled out in front of me and despite my best efforts I hit the back of his car and was thrown from the bike. He was the other side of the roundabout before he stopped. Luckily I only had minor injuries but was pretty shook up.

Best advice I had from the lad in the bike shop who looked over my bike for me was treat everything on the road as if its trying to kill you!!

Even when I have right of way I now slow slightly just to be certain there's nothing coming. It shouldn't be that way but things are only going to get worse with poor road systems, shocking public transport and more than ever cars on the road.

Wont stop me cycling though

I thought this was normal. Whenever approaching a junction, a cluster of vehicles, or anything that could make someone do something extra silly, always slow down, regardless of who has priority at that point on the road.

classic33

Leg End Member
You think that the people driving uninsured have registered the car.
One local one belonged to a local councillor, until it was pointed out to them.

Told it was impossible for me to know if any vehicle was taxed/VED'd.

The other popular vehicle type round here is taxis.

Drago

Legendary Member
One local one belonged to a local councillor, until it was pointed out to them.

Told it was impossible for me to know if any vehicle was taxed/VED'd.

The other popular vehicle type round here is taxis.

A bit like speed enforcement. When a group of residents get all righteous about people speeding through their area and form an action group, it's not unheard of for the chairman themselves to get nabbed speeding in the ensuing enforcement effort. It seems the typical motorist doesn't want folk speeding past their house, but is happy to speed last other people's houses themselves.

Top Bottom