Drivers, what is going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The biggest single problem is that driving students are taught to pass a test, not how to drive. While I would be the last person to claim I was anything special as a driver, I was taught, intensively, with exams where the pass mark was 100% or do it again, in the military. And although it still doesn't remove idiots fron behind the wheel, it does leave them with little excuse.

Those same ANPR cameras that can't read the egoplate for traffic offences also won't read it if the vehicle is stolen and the owner expects someone to help them find it.

Edit#1: Of course I can have this point of view as N1GEL is far outside the range of my wallet nowadays.

Spent a few lovely (and a few virus ridden) days around Ashbourne last week. If it was an Audi or a large SUV it was a tailgater or speeder.
I think they're frustrated at the blanket 50mph speed limits and lack of motorways.

In the end I was more pissed off last week at people that can't wash their hands in toilets.

Serge

Über Member
Spent a few lovely (and a few virus ridden) days around Ashbourne last week. If it was an Audi or a large SUV it was a tailgater or speeder.
I think they're frustrated at the blanket 50mph speed limits and lack of motorways.

In the end I was more pissed off last week at people that can't wash their hands in toilets.
I prefer to use the sink.

Drago

Legendary Member
I pray for the day that GPS regulated speed limiters become mandatory. Even the smallest cars can nudge the ton , which is preposterous when measured against the pollution and danger of motor vehicle travel.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
ANPR can read all but the most ridiculous fonts and spacing, and most systems work at night now as well.

As I'm sure you know, static ANPR only works if the driver of the car has bothered to register it with their details.
If that hasn't been done, ANPR is in the same league as chocolate teapots in terms of usefulness.

The car mounted ANPR cameras at least give a theoretical chance of getting caught, provided the crew have the time / can be arsed or are allowed to engage in a pursuit.

I pray for the day that GPS regulated speed limiters become mandatory. Even the smallest cars can nudge the ton , which is preposterous when measured against the pollution and danger of motor vehicle travel.

That's not the answer - once the car "knows the speed limit" we'll almost certainly find all sorts of idiots driving round at the limit regardless of conditions.

Drago

Legendary Member
As I'm sure you know, static ANPR only works if the driver of the car has bothered to register it with their details.
If that hasn't been done, ANPR is in the same league as chocolate teapots in terms of usefulness.

The car mounted ANPR cameras at least give a theoretical chance of getting caught, provided the crew have the time / can be arsed or are allowed to engage in a pursuit.

That's not the answer - once the car "knows the speed limit" we'll almost certainly find all sorts of idiots driving round at the limit regardless of conditions.

Indeed, it's not the entire answer, but universally being forced to obey the speed limit who,d be a refreshing and welcome start.

Static ANPR, if, council and public owned camera feeds that feed I to the police ANPR database, don't require the motorist to do anything.

swansonj

Guru
[QUOTE 5315549, member: 9609"]I wonder how barking mad it would become - on a 60 road there would be those who would choose to drive at 55, and there would be those that would have to overtake, and of course half way past, Mr 55 speeds up to 60, and Mr 60 who is now hung out on the wrong side of the road completely looses the plot and refuses to abort the overtake - round blind bends the lot. we would be seeing levels of road rage never previous encountered.[/QUOTE]
I think there’s a black box based solution that is more like the solution insurance companies offer younger drivers already. Don’t actually stop cars from breaking speed limits - but hit us in our pockets, hard, every time we break a speed limit, every time we accelerate more than some specified g’s forward or backward or round corners, etc.

It needs a legally reliable map of speed limits. Then the next step that opens up is variable speed limits everywhere - lower in wet, lower after dark, lower in traffic, all indicated real time via the same legally valid gps-linked map.

Drago

Legendary Member
They don't sell mains electricity with 50% more voltage than you can use,or tap water with 50% extra hydrogen atoms, so it seems daft, perhaps even reckless, that the governent allow the sale of motor vehicles that can travel well in excess of the speed limit.

classic33

Leg End Member
They don't sell mains electricity with 50% more voltage than you can use, or tap water with 50% extra hydrogen atoms, so it seems daft, perhaps even reckless, that the governent allow the sale of motor vehicles that can travel well in excess of the speed limit.
Hydrogen Water?

Top Bottom