Driving Bans

Should banned drivers ever be allowed back behind the wheel?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Maybe the third time someone is given a driving ban, then it should be a lifetime ban... three strikes and you're out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The comparison with dirty docs and dodgy teachers is flawed.

Most bans are for a set length of time with the offender often being able to apply for reinstatement after a couple of years.

I agree many driving disqualifications are too short, but for the more serious offences the driver has to pass an extended driving test before they can drive after the ban period expires.

That test is not easy, which is one of the reasons we see multiple offending disqualified offenders who, having lost their licence after their first offence, never get another one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another thing to bear in mind is they many DQd drivers will drive anyway.

You could speculate on what unintended consequences might come from much harder bans. Could be that people who would sit out a timed ban could just ignore an indefinite one. (Maybe ... That's the thing about unexpected outcomes... You don't expect them)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another thing to bear in mind is they many DQd drivers will drive anyway.
The ban should be linked to the account ID of the app they have to use to unlock the car. Oh, wait, that's e-scooters that we treat more harshly than cars because they're clearly more deadly! 😖

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The number of flippant responses to this thread indicate that, even on a cycling forum, actions with serious consequences for the victim are quietly tolerated because they are done by a criminal using a car.

The sentence in the OP is too lenient, which is another indication that we are all so in love with motoring as to skew our perception of right and wrong.

I reckon there needs to be a huge shift in public perception before much will change.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Sitrep. We're well into the vote and it's 10 to 6 in favour of making any ban a lifetime one.

Interesting that not one of those in favour of reinstating licences has explained why it would be OK for car drivers, but not for doctors, train drivers, pilots, shotgun users, etc, others in a position to cause danger, or why they think drivers should be a special case over them. I suspect @Pale Rider 's second paragraph above explains this phenomenon.

Alex321

Veteran
The number of flippant responses to this thread indicate that, even on a cycling forum, actions with serious consequences for the victim are quietly tolerated because they are done by a criminal using a car.

The sentence in the OP is too lenient, which is another indication that we are all so in love with motoring as to skew our perception of right and wrong.

I reckon there needs to be a huge shift in public perception before much will change.

I don't think there is the slightest chance of enough shift in public perception for any government to even consider such a draconian change to the law.

Not sure what sentence you are talking of, since there wasn't a case specified in the OP, and no sentence.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't think there is the slightest chance of enough shift in public perception for any government to even consider such a draconian change to the law.

Not sure what sentence you are talking of, since there wasn't a case specified in the OP, and no sentence.

Ah, my mistake, I was thinking of the sentence in the drunk 4x4 driver thread.

I agree lifetime bans are not on the cards, but things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

I'm old enough to have covered one of the earliest death by dangerous cases around 2000.

Previously, killing someone on the road was pretty much a free hit.

Since then we've had other new offences such as death by careless, causing serious injury by dangerous, and other enhanced offences relating to the condition of the driver.

Twenty odd years is about a generation, which in terms of the law is quite rapid progress.

It's a reasonable expectation that general attitudes will continue to move in what most of would say is the right direction.

Top Bottom