Driving instructor training needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
I had an interesting encounter yesterday, which may give a clue to the attitude of some drivers.
I was riding in Langside Drive in Glasgow and moved to the outside of the road as I was approaching a mini roundabout and needed to be in the outside lane to go straight ahead. With about 20 yards to go, I was passed on the inside by a driving school car (Arran and Kingspark School of Motoring I think it was) which then moved sharply back into my lane to go ahead.
I can’t say that I felt in any danger or had to slam on the brakes or anything, but it did go through my mind that if that is how young drivers are being taught, it is little wonder that so many near misses are being reported.
I don't really blame the learner driver involved as they were under instruction, but it would have been an automatic ‘fail’ if they had been on their test.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had an interesting encounter with a learner and a dimstructor last week coming onto a roundabout. I would have been first onto the roundabout but I saw the instructor holding the steering wheel in one hand with a mobile phone up held up to his ear with the other hand while the instructee showed no interest in looking either left or right. I stopped and marvelled, wishing I had a helmet cam...

Cubist

Still wavin'
My favourite moment over the last couple of years was approaching a junction, Driving School car across the give way line and the cycle lane by a good three or four feet. I called out something about not blocking the cycle lane, to be told to "F*ck off twat" by the instructor. I slammed all on and returned to show him my warrant card and enquire as to whether he would like to repeat his hearty greeting, only to see that he was on his phone. He was so busy with his call that he failed to see the warrant card, and told me to "F*ck" myself. I told him to look up instead of at the phone, and when he did he nearly choked. Priceless. No headcam tough, sorry! I did however make a note of his driving school name and rang him when I was next at work to offer a little advice about how to behave in the presence of a female Asian pupil.

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
I had an interesting encounter with a learner and a dimstructor last week coming onto a roundabout. I would have been first onto the roundabout but I saw the instructor holding the steering wheel in one hand with a mobile phone up held up to his ear with the other hand while the instructee showed no interest in looking either left or right. I stopped and marvelled, wishing I had a helmet cam...

I'm not a great fan of bike cams generally, I wouldn't like to go out cycling with the mindset that I may be involved in something, but yes, at that moment, I did wish that I had one.

akb

Veteran
My favourite moment over the last couple of years was approaching a junction, Driving School car across the give way line and the cycle lane by a good three or four feet. I called out something about not blocking the cycle lane, to be told to "F*ck off twat" by the instructor. I slammed all on and returned to show him my warrant card and enquire as to whether he would like to repeat his hearty greeting, only to see that he was on his phone. He was so busy with his call that he failed to see the warrant card, and told me to "F*ck" myself. I told him to look up instead of at the phone, and when he did he nearly choked. Priceless. No headcam tough, sorry! I did however make a note of his driving school name and rang him when I was next at work to offer a little advice about how to behave in the presence of a female Asian pupil.

Warrant card...?!

lulubel

Über Member
I don't really blame the learner driver involved as they were under instruction, but it would have been an automatic ‘fail’ if they had been on their test.

Could have been on test. Examiners won't intervene unless it's to avoid an actual crash. Even perfectly capable learners do unbelievably stupid things on test.

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
Could have been on test. Examiners won't intervene unless it's to avoid an actual crash. Even perfectly capable learners do unbelievably stupid things on test.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a test as the nearest test centre and test routes are miles away. Having put both my teenage 'children' through their test in the last couple of years, I'm more familiar with the routes than I would want to be. Nice thought though:smile:

G-Zero

Über Member
Warrant card...?!

Formal Police ID

Reactions: akb

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I had an incident several years back. Approaching a set of lights and just before it the road narrowed due to parked cars on either side. I checked behind me got nearly all the way through the pinch and was buzzed by a white hatchback which literally beat me to the lights by some 3 seconds.

Pointless in many respects. A little annoyed I approached the drivers window and as I did realised the roof had a "Pam's Driving School" and the driver had one of those handsfree ear pieces in. I tapped the window, which was half open and said "Er 'scuse me, what was that about? Why so close and so close to the lights?"

"You were in the middle of the ****dy road!"

A short conversation later and it appeared he a) either didn't know or care for the high way code b) said he was entitled to buzz me because of my position, c) said he didnt know of the doorzone etc etc.

Tried to report his plates to the DSA but they weren't interested. Now when I see their cars about I give them a wide berth. Dont trust them all that much

Top Bottom