Drones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see the government look set to "crack down" (ooh, scary!) on drone use. Any drone weighing over 250g will have to be registered with the CAA and the owner will have to complete a basic safety course. Curiously enough, I've already done a similar course for SAR work, although only because the course was free - our team doesn't have RPAS capability yet.

About time too, I guess, although the lack of airborne air rifle targets will be annoying. Anyone here into their drones who will be affected by this?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id probably feel inclined to shoot at a drone if one was hovering over my garden.

My mate just bought a drone...cost him loads im thinking as he hasn't said how much..
Its a very clever thing ,proximity sensors and a superb camera..

As with most things i suspect it will be left in its case and not used again any time soon

I've been a model flyer for around 45 years and have a couple of quadcopters (drones) as well as fixed wing gliders and electrically powered models. Its hard to know whether, or to what extent I'll be affected as there is no detail to study yet. If I were a gambling man, I'd bet a whole mars bar that the outcome will do little to prevent irresponsible actions by the irresponsible, and will place a burden on responsible users.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Id probably feel inclined to shoot at a drone if one was hovering over my garden.

My mate just bought a drone...cost him loads im thinking as he hasn't said how much..
Its a very clever thing ,proximity sensors and a superb camera..

As with most things i suspect it will be left in its case and not used again any time soon
Ex Hubster was saving £400+ for one and in the end, got a cheapie. Played with it 3 or 4 times and sold it on. Blooming thing. I was bored before he bought it, banging on and on about the dang thing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I used to sell them at Hobbystores. They are great fun and even the cheap ones have amazing features. I can now see an increase in the number of sub 250g models.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
CAA SAR RPAS WTAF?

Not forgetting the BMFA (British Model Flying Association), of which I'm registered. If I follow their guidelines (which I do) the proposed legislation should not affect me. As previously mentioned, the reckless acts of the few gives the responsible majority a bad name. This legislation wont stop idiots doing idiotic things Im afraid.

FWIW I own a Phantom4

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Its like the new air rifle licencing laws in Scotland. There hasn't been a mad rush of ne'er do wells clamouring to register their weapons and pay the £75 fee (as if!), or hand them in at police stations. Only a thousand or so responsible shooters and collectors have bothered, while the idiots are free to prat about as before.

The only tangible difference is that so few have registers and paid the fee that the system has cost a huge amount to administer for no actual gain.

johnnyb47

Guru
They've become a victim of there own success. When they first came out they were expensive and reserved for the true enthusiast, but nowadays they have now fallen into the hands of everyone who don't understand that aviation laws are in place for a serious reason.
E Bikes will suffer the same fate one day eventually. As they get cheaper and cheaper the market will expand massively to the masses and become the new must have for youngsters. Easy enough to derestrict , illegal anti social unregistered E bikes will be rife on our streets. The government will end up cracking down on it spoiling it for all the law abiding e bike users .

Top Bottom