Drones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If Amazon are going to use them for deliveries how will they use them in urban settings?
They are looking at parachute drops. Trialed in Cambridge last year.

It may also be a reason for the registration. Their computer controlled drones following preset routes?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They are looking at parachute drops. Trialed in Cambridge last year.

It may also be a reason for the registration. Their computer controlled drones following preset routes?
All goes next door as it is! With parachutes on a windy day it'll be next door but four.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son has a large Syma RC copter and we only fly it in the field behind the house. They need skill (I can't fly it) but drones are quite easy especially the expensive ones. Like with everything there are those that will spoil it for the rest.

Drones are a fabulous bits of kit for video and photography

I have owned a drone for the past 18 months, and used correctly, the results can be quite impressive.
I definitely agree with a registration system, as long as it is sensibly done with the right controls in place, not just another easy way of making money.
12792251_10154168915999198_7541436655418940907_o.jpg
Screenshot (10).png

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So do you think registration and training requirements would make any difference to the likes of him?

If not, why don't you have a problem with red tape gone mad that only serves to increase costs for law abiding users who weren't causing the problems anyway?

Like I said before, he'll probably have moved on to something else by then so I don't know what difference it would make to him.

My Phantom is available to anybody, of any age, over the counter, no experience or training required. It weighs just under 3lb and can travel at 35mph (the later model can reach 45mph) and has a communication range of about 3.75 miles.

Setting aside battery life, I could, if I was stupid enough, pilot my quadcopter to an altitude of 19,500 feet, putting a lot of people at risk. Even keeping within the CAA regulations, there is ample scope for poorly skilled pilots to cause serious injury to others. These are powerful and complex remote control aircraft and need to be handled properly.

It's not enough to stick an A6 leaflet in the box with a few bullet points of guidance and a link, nobody gives a shoot at that point. They want it powered up and flying ASAP, and all that stuff goes in the bin with the box. Having thousands of these randomly flying around public spaces will go wrong sooner than later, and it's my experience that most users don't bother to self-regulate or get adequate training.

If I were to make a comparison with bicycles and cars, I would liken these small aircraft to cars, needing training and registration commensurate with the potential for harm whereas anyone from 8 to 80 could fly a kite (or ride a bike) without restrictions, given the inherent harmlessness of that activity.

What's your view? Are you against further regulation? Do you have a drone?

Milzy

Guru
Ex Hubster was saving £400+ for one and in the end, got a cheapie. Played with it 3 or 4 times and sold it on. Blooming thing. I was bored before he bought it, banging on and on about the dang thing.
You should get back together

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
One flown over the runway of Leeds/Bradford last year to try and get a video of a plane coming into land. Aborted landing causing a slight delay for some.

Person flying it was on the road below the runway.

My setup doesn't allow that. All airfields, airports, helipads, and numerous other sites, are all geofenced thus preventing me from flying, or even taking off, anywhere near them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You buy a TV, you're asked for your address(paperwork to be filed).
And has that reduced TV licence offences? Nope. So why will registration do anything to reduce illegal drone use? It seems like another way to extract money from the law abiding and to keep bureaucrats in work.

How about a better first step, like we make it explicitly legal to destroy illegally operated drones and you can bill the operator for the destruction service if you find them?

You buy a TV, you're asked for your address(paperwork to be filed).

What's to stop the same rules being used when selling drones. At present they're a novelty. Just the same as micr & mini helicopters were a few years ago. Make someone think twice about selling them, and someone else twice about buying one, you might just make it easier for those who are willing to stick to the rules. Look up the rules behind model aircraft, where they can/can't be flown.

That would capture the ready made market but not the home builds.

classic33

Leg End Member
And has that reduced TV licence offences? Nope. So why will registration do anything to reduce illegal drone use? It seems like another way to extract money from the law abiding and to keep bureaucrats in work.

How about a better first step, like we make it explicitly legal to destroy illegally operated drones and you can bill the operator for the destruction service if you find them?
You can already be done under existing laws, but you want more laws(red tape, paperwork making money for someone).

Look up the Drone Code. As @glasgowcyclist put it, a piece of paper in the box. How many will actually read it whilst waiting on the battery(ies) to charge?

I've an RC helicopter that I've "flown" tethered on a training aid. But I'd not be flying it in my garden, or over anyone elses for that matter.

@Cycleops might answer this one, what frequency are RC cars normally using? I've seen two drones on sale using the same. The seller wasn't aware nor bothered when I pointed it out.

Top Bottom