Drones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Cheap & cheerful (toy grade) RC cars often run on 27Mhz or 40Mhz AM.

Hobby grade RC cars usually run on 2.4Ghz (digital spread spectrum).

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Cycleops might answer this one, what frequency are RC cars normally using? I've seen two drones on sale using the same. The seller wasn't aware nor bothered when I pointed it out.
Cars were ways on AM frequency but I don't think any rc uses that today. Most stuff uses 2.4Ghz which won't interfere with anything even using that same system as it changes 'frequency slots' if it detects interference.

You did well to fly a heli, very difficult to master. Drones are very much easier with their multi rotor system.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Bloomin' heck, if that was deliberate it was a stupid thing to do. The blades on these things are very tough and turning at very high revs, it would easily cause serious injury to anyone it landed on.

Flying it at all over a crowd (let alone a drone with unshrouded props) is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Or is that what you meant ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Cars were ways on AM frequency but I don't think any rc uses that today. Most stuff uses 2.4Ghz which won't interfere with anything even using that same system as it changes 'frequency slots' if it detects interference.

You did well to fly a heli, very difficult to master. Drones are very much easier with their multi rotor system.
Took time and a load of failures(hence the training aid used). Drones, they're expected to fly out of the box almost.

Tin Pot

Guru
I see the government look set to "crack down" (ooh, scary!) on drone use. Any drone weighing over 250g will have to be registered with the CAA and the owner will have to complete a basic safety course. Curiously enough, I've already done a similar course for SAR work, although only because the course was free - our team doesn't have RPAS capability yet.

About time too, I guess, although the lack of airborne air rifle targets will be annoying. Anyone here into their drones who will be affected by this?

If I can't use a drone to kill terrorists/Nazis/Stormtroopers and/or spy on the girl next door, why would I buy one?

Government killing business as usual.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Flying it at all over a crowd (let alone a drone with unshrouded props) is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Or is that what you meant ?

Both flying it and downing it were stupid. I doubt very much it would have been an authorised flight, but to knock it out of control was bonkers (if deliberate).

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm surprised Eley aren't yet selling Drone Shot cartridges.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well, the registration system is now in place and I have completed it along with the test and received my Operator ID and Flyer ID. Cost for the former is £9 and the latter is free.

I completed the online test in about ten minutes.

Anyone else done it?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My setup doesn't allow that. All airfields, airports, helipads, and numerous other sites, are all geofenced thus preventing me from flying, or even taking off, anywhere near them.

One of my drinking partners is a Model Aircraft/Drone enthusiast. During the last major drone scare (Gatwick), he claimed all drones have this built in. I assume he was talking of the larger models, not the 6" square things you can buy for £15-£25. It would appear, if this feature is built in, either, people have discovered how to disable it, or, dare I say, the Gatwick Drones story was rubbish. As usual, registration will not deter the idiots. IMHO.

Top Bottom