Drones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
One of my drinking partners is a Model Aircraft/Drone enthusiast. During the last major drone scare (Gatwick), he claimed all drones have this built in. I assume he was talking of the larger models, not the 6" square things you can buy for £15-£25. It would appear, if this feature is built in, either, people have discovered how to disable it, or, dare I say, the Gatwick Drones story was rubbish.

Yes, geofencing is built-in to most drones from reputable manufacturers such as DJI. I'm told it's trivial to disable or circumvent.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No, but then I don't have a drone so it seemed pointless
That's not the point.

Well, the registration system is now in place and I have completed it along with the test and received my Operator ID and Flyer ID. Cost for the former is £9 and the latter is free.

I completed the online test in about ten minutes.

Anyone else done it?

Not yet. I have BMFA A cert for fixed wing and if my understanding is correct that does me for operator and flyer if I register through them. I haven't flown for quite a while however do fancy a bit of slope soaring.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not yet. I have BMFA A cert for fixed wing and if my understanding is correct that does me for operator and flyer if I register through them. I haven't flown for quite a while however do fancy a bit of slope soaring.

Yes, it appears you are currently exempt until June 2020 when new regulations are expected.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Our-role/Drone-and-model-aircraft-registration/
"Remote pilots flying in accordance with a permission, exemption or operational authorisation (e.g. such as the permission related to commercial operations as required in ANO article 94(5)) that has been issued to a named UAS operator by the CAA will be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test.

Similarly, where a UK model aircraft association already has an established and CAA reviewed ‘competency scheme’, members who hold an appropriate achievement certificate or award (such as the BMFA ‘A’ certificate) will also be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test."

Top Bottom