Drop-bar, disc brake commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wafer

Veteran
Don't think you'll notice much of a difference between CAADX and Synapse, (generalising) one has fatter cx tyres and they have slightly different gearing. You might be looking at a 56cm in the C'dales, they seem to come up big compared to other brands.
Been looking at the Rose myself but nervous about ordering un-sat on as well.

Paul99

Über Member
@vickster, Yeah, that's pretty well what I've concluded too. The only other one is that Rose Pro DX Cross-4400, which looks like it has a a bit of everything... Missing the seat stay rack mounts, but it has mudguard eyelets, so I should be able to get a clamp which will hold the rack. It's got SRAM Force 22, and internal routing and is pretty close to the same price as the CAADX which has Rival22! I'm just not sure how the frame would feel compared to the C'dales. I can test ride the C'dales, but not the Rose...

With that, I think I'm down to 3:
  • CAADX Rival Disc
  • Rose Pro DX Cross-4400
  • Synapse Rival Disc
Just been looking at the Rose again because of the missing seat stay rack mounts, they do look pretty similar with the two holes as the randonneur and that can clearly accomodate a rack. Might be worth sending them an email to ask.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-randonneur-778568/aid:778599

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
That rose is so tempting...
I'm now down to three, finances permitting.
  • Rose Pro DX Cross-4400
  • Cannondale CAADX Rival disc
  • Cannondale Synapse Rival disc
Still nervous about buying one without a test ride, but I've heard nothing but good about that frame and rose.

mythste

Veteran
For what little it might be worth, I test rode the CAADX 105 and found the frame a little racey for my liking. It was very jittery - I#m sure that has its benefits for a more experienced rider who could roll it round a bend at 30mph but for me it was a bit too much,

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I haven't tried a CAADX. Last summer, I tried a synapse and liked it.

I'm going to have to find somewhere that I can test ride some of these, though without going to Munich or Bocholt, I'm not sure how I'm going to test ride the Rose Pro DX Cross.

outlash

also available in orange
For what little it might be worth, I test rode the CAADX 105 and found the frame a little racey for my liking. It was very jittery - I#m sure that has its benefits for a more experienced rider who could roll it round a bend at 30mph but for me it was a bit too much,

Interesting, my CAADX is quite upright compared to my road bike which doesn't have particularly racy geometry (Cannondale CAAD8). So much so that I dropped the bars on the CAADX a couple of spacers to get it somewhere near the CAAD8.

Tony.

mythste

Veteran
Interesting, my CAADX is quite upright compared to my road bike which doesn't have particularly racy geometry (Cannondale CAAD8). So much so that I dropped the bars on the CAADX a couple of spacers to get it somewhere near the CAAD8.

Tony.

Maybe racey was the wrong term, it just didnt "lock in" under me like some of the other bikes I tried. didnt feel as stable.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I tried a caadx and a synapse yesterday. The synapse was a size bigger than the caadx, but the riding position felt pretty similar.

I didn't like the caadx. It felt like it took a lot of power to get going, whereas the synapse just took off when I pushed. It might be that it's the tyres or the rims, but ultimately it didn't make me smile and the synapse did. The disc brakes on the caadx were really weak, though maybe they just need to be broken in.

So the caadx is out of the running. Unfortunately, the synapse with SRAM Rival is £600 more than the synapse with 105, and I'm having trouble justifying that big of a difference. Meanwhile, the planet x London road with SRAM Rival is down to £800, though with mechanical, not hydraulic discs.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Condor Fratello in disc spec.

I have their Tempo fixie, which I understand to be the Fratello built in fixed-wheel config and it is lovely.
Discs are now an option apparently. I'd guess it's in the £1500-£2k bracket depending on how bling-crazy you go.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I tried a caadx and a synapse yesterday. The synapse was a size bigger than the caadx, but the riding position felt pretty similar.

I didn't like the caadx. It felt like it took a lot of power to get going, whereas the synapse just took off when I pushed. It might be that it's the tyres or the rims, but ultimately it didn't make me smile and the synapse did. The disc brakes on the caadx were really weak, though maybe they just need to be broken in.

So the caadx is out of the running. Unfortunately, the synapse with SRAM Rival is £600 more than the synapse with 105, and I'm having trouble justifying that big of a difference. Meanwhile, the planet x London road with SRAM Rival is down to £800, though with mechanical, not hydraulic discs.

Cable operated discs are just fine - they'll stop you just as well as hydraulics.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Am I being too picky, wanting hydraulic discs? Maybe. I also want internal cable routing. I might be too picky there too.

Though like I said, that planet x London road is awfully tempting at £800. I wish I could find a review of it in one of the usual places. I'd like to ride one before I commit to it.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Oh, believe me, I'm tempted. The only pricing I can find for the SRAM Rival 22 HydroR Disc groupset puts it around £600-700. I would still need frame, fork, wheels, stem, handlebars, seatpost, seat, and... grip tape. I haven't priced it out, but that sounds like at least another £500 to me.

Do you have any suggestions of where I can find a frameset with internal cable routing, disc mounts, mudguard mounts, and rack bosses?

Top Bottom