Drop-bar, disc brake commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
Cable operated discs are just fine - they'll stop you just as well as hydraulics.

There is a couple of obvious benefits of hydraulic over cabled: no exposed moving parts to bung up and maintain, no need to adjust the pads as they wear - they self adjust.

Bianchi Zurigo Disc Tiagra.

It has mudguard eyelets which are really a must for commuting, Clip-ons are what you use if you forgot to specify eyelets.
The rear brake mount is on the chainstay, so it works with any rack, not the extra-wide (less aerodynamic) disc racks.

more of similar style.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I asked in one of the LBS's about building a non-standard Synapse for me. They'd be happy to. I can pay them £90 to strip the bike and rebuild it with whatever parts I want. They'll even order the parts in for me. Of course I get to keep the existing parts... So how much does a 105 groupset, brand new, but mounted to a bike once, sell for?

vickster

Legendary Member
10 or 11 speed? What is the cheapest you can buy one for? Then take off 15-20% off. Like anything, depends how much someone wishes to pay

Might need a different BB for SRAM, not sure

outlash

also available in orange
It wouldn't be a full 105 groupset because Shimano don't make a bottom bracket to fit on Cannondale's road bikes. Isn't this making things a little more complicated than they need be though?

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Well, that guarantees that I'll be waiting for a while before buying a new bike :sad:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...groupset-and-105-disc-brakes-announced-43962/

105 disc brakes will use Flat (not Post) mounts, ie Yet Another Standard.
On a plus note, the hose connector location has been optimised for chainstay routing.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Because that announcement means that there will be a pile of new bikes with support for hydraulic brakes. I want hydraulic brakes. Getting something close to, but not quite what I want just before the industry starts adopting the thing I want doesn't make much sense to me.

outlash

also available in orange
Because that announcement means that there will be a pile of new bikes with support for hydraulic brakes. I want hydraulic brakes. Getting something close to, but not quite what I want just before the industry starts adopting the thing I want doesn't make much sense to me.

Hydraulic brakes have been on MTB's for ages, it's just a matter of getting them onto road frames. I think you're getting sucked into being paralysed by indecision. Test a bike. If you like it, buy it and stop worrying about the 'what if' game.

Tony.

Top Bottom