Drop-bar, disc brake commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
After weighing out frame and groupset choices, I think I'm onto the final part of choosing a new bike.

I'm not looking for a really upright geometry--I want to get out of the wind.

Here's what I want on my bike:
  • Drop bars
  • Rack mounts
  • Fender mounts (raceblades would be okay)
  • Disc Brakes (Preferably hydraulic, cable-actuated hydraulic as a fallback)
  • SRAM Rival 22, S-series, or Apex
  • I'm not looking for a really upright geometry--I want to get out of the wind
  • Internal cable routing
I have found one bike that matches all of these criteria: Cannondale Synapse SRAM Rival Disc. For whatever reason, that is an Evans Cycles exclusive, so it's not even listed on the UK page anymore. The only disadvantage is that it has an advertised "upright position"

If I'm willing to drop one or two of those requirements, the possibilities open wide up.
Here's my shortlist, in ascending price:
  • Felt Z75 Disc (Not SRAM, no Rack, no hydraulic disc) £999
  • Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc (Not SRAM, no hydraulic disc, upright position) £999
  • Planet X London Road (No hydraulic disc, no internal routing, no way to test ride) £999
  • GT Grade 105 (Not SRAM, No hydraulic disc, no rack, no internal routing) £999
  • Raleigh Revenio 4 Disc (No internal routing, cable-actuated hydraulic disc) £1149
  • Raleigh Maverick Comp (No internal routing, cable-actuated hydraulic disc) £1149
  • Cannondale CAADX Rival 22 Disc (No internal routing) £1399
  • Rose Pro DX Cross-4400 (SRAM Force (drool) ) £1417.05 + £27.07 shipping
  • Raleigh RX Pro (No internal routing) £1500
  • Cannondale Synapse Rival Disc (Upright position) £1599
One of the key points for me is that the last time I bought a bike, I was constantly wanting to upgrade it. I don't want to do that again. I want to be happy with it as it is, which is why these are all well above the "first road bike" range.

Have I missed a contender?
Is internal routing silly?
Should I stick with Shimano because it costs less?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Dolan do SRAM on a CX bike, dk if a disc version though

Genesis equilbrium disc - buy the frame, get it built? Or swap to SRAM and flog the Shimano parts

The SRAM is the main issue here, but I wouldn't personally compromise on Shimano (but then I can't ride it, it's not bad per se)

The Cannondale CAADX seems the best of your picks for off the ped

But I'd get Pearsons to build you this with SRAM ;)

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-the-rough-with-the-smooth.html

Get out of the wind by using the drops, get them to make the cockpit position more aggressive

vickster

Legendary Member
If the Cannondale is available through Evans, get them to get one in so you can test ride (£60 refundable deposit IIRC, a major advantage of them as a retailer)

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Might be worth having a look at Rose, especially their cross bikes.

I'm sure they do one with hydraulics and SRAM Force 22 for about £1400. They usually have mudguard mounts but I'm not sure about the internal wiring or rack mounts.

Edit:http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-4400-770488/aid:770519
That's a very nice looking bike, in the same price range as the CAADX, with better components, and internal cable routing...

I don't see any rack mounts at the top, but there are eyelets on the dropouts, so it might be possible to make something work with a clamp.

Edit2: What size bike are you after? The cannondale synapse appears to be in stock at Evans in every size except 48cm.
Being 188cm (6'2") I generally need a fairly big frame.

Why don't you consider getting one built to your spec?
Do LBS's do that much? Or is that a more specialty kind of thing?

Do I just get an existing bike built up with different component choices, or is it only doable with frames that are available as frame sets?

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange

I have one of those with the Alfine hub, I also have a Cannondale CAADX and if I had to keep only one, it'd be the CAADX (probably!). Why? Because the CAADX can do everything the day one can, and my road bike too. It's as close to a 'one bike does it all' as you can get.

Saying that, the day one is a lovely bike to ride, lovely to look at too!

Tony.

Wafer

Veteran
Bit more expensive than those on your list but there's http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/whyte-cornwall-15
Hydraulic discs, SRAM, designed to be used for commuting...

HorTs

Über Member
Do LBS's do that much? Or is that a more specialty kind of thing?

Do I just get an existing bike built up with different component choices, or is it only doable with frames that are available as frame sets?

I think most will. Mine did and didn't change for the build. They just charged for the parts (which were cheaper than I could find them generally).

I guess you'd have 2 options, either find a frameset with the features you want and get it built from scratch, or a whole bike with the frame features you want, get the other parts swapped over and sell the unwanted parts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Other than the C'dale, I don't think the OP will get everything he wants

Not sure why looking beyond the C'dale as it is available in a 58cm which should be the right size (or perhaps the 61cm)

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
@vickster, Yeah, that's pretty well what I've concluded too. The only other one is that Rose Pro DX Cross-4400, which looks like it has a a bit of everything... Missing the seat stay rack mounts, but it has mudguard eyelets, so I should be able to get a clamp which will hold the rack. It's got SRAM Force 22, and internal routing and is pretty close to the same price as the CAADX which has Rival22! I'm just not sure how the frame would feel compared to the C'dales. I can test ride the C'dales, but not the Rose...

With that, I think I'm down to 3:
  • CAADX Rival Disc
  • Rose Pro DX Cross-4400
  • Synapse Rival Disc

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's that Matt black colour, you might want to search for posts by kbrook on the look of it (that was a rose I think)

I'd still have a kinesis but then I've stopped buying stock bikes from big brands

Top Bottom