Drop-bar, disc brake commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Wasn't it you wanting SRAM though? Maybe not

Yes, I want SRAM. The problem is that I have found only two bikes that meet all my criteria: the Rose Pro DX Cross-4400, and the Cannondale Synapse Rival. I can't test ride the Rose Pro DX Cross-4400. I could get the Cannondale, but I really don't like the styling of that model, and it's significantly more expensive than other, similarly spec'd bikes from Cannondale.

So, I'm considering settling for a Cannondale Synapse 105 disc (£999), which would cost £600 less than the SRAM Rival version (£1599) and £450 less than the Rose (£1450). The premium seems excessive for supposedly equivalent groupsets.

Hydraulic brakes have been on MTB's for ages, it's just a matter of getting them onto road frames. I think you're getting sucked into being paralysed by indecision. Test a bike. If you like it, buy it and stop worrying about the 'what if' game.

Yeah, I'm definitely playing the what if game and I don't like it. I hope that the 105 hydraulic discs will even out the prices in the market so that SRAM Rival sets will be more reasonably priced.

vickster

Legendary Member
@annirak No disc mounts but this is LUSH (and you'll never see another I'll wager)...no issue adding SRAM

http://shop.hackneygt.com/hackney-gt-cyclo-x-frame.html

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
That looks like a very nice bike and I believe that I won't see them again. Problem is: I'm not a big fan of canti's or v-brakes. I'd take dual-pivot over either, and disc over dual pivot.

JCroxton1

The <a href="http://www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-secteur-elite-disc-2014">Specialized Secteur Elite Disc</a>

Drop bars
Rack mounts
Fender mounts
Disc Brakes (Cable)
Shimano Tiagra 10 speed & compact.
Geometry is arguably directed at the commuter / gravel bike market so it's neither upright nor race geometry.
External cable routing

Price: £699.00

If you wish to upgrade anything, you're saving a chunk on the upfront cost, you will be able to afford to modify the things that matter the most to you (groupset / brakes / wheels)

Top Bottom