drop outs designed for fixed wheels and ones that aren't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Brahan said:
I have a thread on freewheel. Can that be used for a conversion?
You may need to dish the wheel to get a straighter chain line, as a fixed hub is wider

2716467023_63750f3bce_o.jpg

A fixed sprocket lock ring can’t be used, not a vital addition for sure especially if using two brakes, but I still use one. You can use an old BB lock ring instead, the thread is the same direction and size as the sprocket, but it can be used if you really don’t want to run without a lockring.

The bike in the pic' above has horizontal dropouts and works perfectly OK, in some ways I prefer it as wheel is removed easier, plus leaning over/on bike when doing the rear wheel up tensions chain, drop out is long enough that I can always get correct tension as chain stretches.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Attachments

• 2716467023_63750f3bce_o.jpg
    2716467023_63750f3bce_o.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 32

RedBike

Brahan said:
I have a thread on freewheel. Can that be used for a conversion?

I've seen an adapter on ebay that screws onto your hub and then the fixed wheel sprocket and lockring then screw onto the adapter. This means your sprocket is posisioned correctly and you've got the correct threads for a locknut.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
snapper said:
Thanks guys thats very helpful. Next step is getting the components. Any tips on frames (and parts) and where to get them (ebay?) (not looking for anything too expensive frame wise but in the £100-200, second hand obviously, if thats a realistic price for a half decent frame?). Any links to help with this would be much appreciated.

You can get a new On-One frame with rear facing dropouts for £135, forks are about £35 IIRC.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Pompino_-_Fixed_Gear_Road.html

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
snapper said:
Thanks guys thats very helpful. Next step is getting the components. Any tips on frames (and parts) and where to get them (ebay?) (not looking for anything too expensive frame wise but in the £100-200, second hand obviously, if thats a realistic price for a half decent frame?). Any links to help with this would be much appreciated.

You can get a new On-One frame with rear facing dropouts for £135, forks are about £35 IIRC.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Pompino_-_Fixed_Gear_Road.html

Top Bottom