drop outs designed for fixed wheels and ones that aren't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper

I'd like to build my own bike but how much of a problem is it if the drop outs are not designed with a fixed wheel in mind i.e. with the cut out facing forwards? How easy is it to convert or adapt a wheel to ride as a fixed wheel if the drop outs are facing the other way?

MajorMantra

Any drop outs that allow some fore-aft movement can be used to create a fixed gear. Most of what you need to know is here.

Matthew

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's easy if they are horizontal and face rearwards or forwards like these first two images.

Argonaut_blue_dropout-500-90-500-70.jpg

Rear_dropout.JPG

But problematic if they are vertical like this

Dropouts_mini.jpg

It's possible to change dropouts on a frame but obviously there's a bit more involved.

The Sheldon link in the post above is great (although that picture of the amputated fingertip always surprises me when I scroll down! ewww.)

Attachments

• Argonaut_blue_dropout-500-90-500-70.jpg
    Argonaut_blue_dropout-500-90-500-70.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Rear_dropout.JPG
    Rear_dropout.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Dropouts_mini.jpg
    Dropouts_mini.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 28

RedBike

I think the crosscheck fixed wheel bike has forward facing dropouts.

Forward facing droupouts often don't allow as much adjustment. This means you have to get the chain length pretty much spot on and it's not as easy to swap sprockets.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
RedBike said:
I think the crosscheck fixed wheel bike has forward facing dropouts.

Forward facing droupouts often don't allow as much adjustment. This means you have to get the chain length pretty much spot on and it's not as easy to swap sprockets.

It depends how long they are. [pic]

Christopher

Über Member
Assuming you want 'guards, with forward-facing dropouts you can fit a rear rigid mudguard. With rear ones you need to fit some sort of flexible 'guard that you can remove easily.

Oh and if lucky you can fix chaintugs to forward-facing dropouts, I took one of Planet X's standard chaintugs, hacksawed off part of it and its fits okay. It is not as good as on a rear-facing droput but much better than not having one at all

OP
OP
S

snapper

Thanks guys thats very helpful. Next step is getting the components. Any tips on frames (and parts) and where to get them (ebay?) (not looking for anything too expensive frame wise but in the £100-200, second hand obviously, if thats a realistic price for a half decent frame?). Any links to help with this would be much appreciated.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Frustruck said:
Assuming you want 'guards, with forward-facing dropouts you can fit a rear rigid mudguard. With rear ones you need to fit some sort of flexible 'guard that you can remove easily.
The old way of dealing with track-ends was simply to set the mudguard about an inch further out.
Oh and if lucky you can fix chaintugs to forward-facing dropouts, I took one of Planet X's standard chaintugs, hacksawed off part of it and its fits okay. It is not as good as on a rear-facing droput but much better than not having one at all
Some folk use them, others don't. I don't find it any more difficult to set the wheel without them.

D

Deleted member 1258

Ian H said:
The old way of dealing with track-ends was simply to set the mudguard about an inch further out.
That's what I have done with my Pearson, I have a gap between the mudguard and wheel that's enough to get the wheel out. I also have the Secu clips fitted http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36788

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I get punctures very, very infrequently. If I do get one it's only two bolts to get the guard off (always have a multitool). I switched the 'guards from another bike so the stays had already been cut to size.

D

Deleted member 1258

palinurus said:
I get punctures very, very infrequently. If I do get one it's only two bolts to get the guard off (always have a multitool). I switched the 'guards from another bike so the stays had already been cut to size.

The beauty of the secu clips is that there are no tools involved, just pull the stays out then push them back in.

robin IX

palinurus said:
The Sheldon link in the post above is great (although that picture of the amputated fingertip always surprises me when I scroll down! ewww.)

Not very nice, my mate almost lost his finger, managed to get on bizarre ER.

Top Bottom