Dropper seat upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
RSP Plummet or Brand X from Wiggle - about £100, cheap and do the job.

I have an X-Fusion Hilo SL on one bike and a Rock Shox Reverb on the other. Both great, X-Fusion easier to service, athough no longer sold.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

What he's saying is that it's a waste of money doing things like fitting a dropper post to a bike like yours. It's usually cheaper to buy a bike already fitted with the features you want on it than it is to keep changing things on an existing bike, especially a fairly low value one where the accessories could end up costing more than the bike itself. Actually, for non-hardcore MTB'ing I regard things like dropper posts and suspension as totally pointless anyway. The sort of off-road riding that most people do does not really need anything more sophisticated than a rigid frame bike with suitable gearing and tyres.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I spoke to a rider recently who had a high end dropper post on his expensive titanium gravel bike.

You might ask why, and I did.

He told me he's a gadget freak, but he found the post handy for stopping and starting in traffic, and for taking up a Chris Froome style aero crouch on descents.

I spoke to a rider recently who had a high end dropper post on his expensive titanium gravel bike.

You might ask why, and I did.

He told me he's a gadget freak, but he found the post handy for stopping and starting in traffic, and for taking up a Chris Froome style aero crouch on descents.
In other words, he bought a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not at all. From the description it would seem that the problem was that dropper posts existed, and he didn't have one. So he bought one - problem solved! As he said, he's a gadget freak. This is how we gadget freaks roll :smile:

A mate of mine proved the Chris Froome position works, so this guy probably is noticeably quicker on descents when he drops his dropper post.

I thought it quite a neat solution, given that a 'full Froome' doesn't look too clever from a bike control point of view.

Racing on closed roads being a different environment to giving it full beans on the public highway.

Top Bottom