Droves and ditches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm cycling to Yorkshire next week and typically have done next to no planning. I know my way to Cambridge but after that it's all a bit sketchy until G.O.C.
I look at a map of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire and I notice all these straight lines called 'droves'. What are these things? Are they generally cycle-able on slick tyres or do you need a tractor?
Whilst I'm at it, does anyone have a good route from Cambridge to Lincoln via March or any roads we should avoid or make sure we take in? Virtual (and next time you're in London real) pints for help!

I live on a drove, they are usually roads that were, in the past, used to move cattle around. They tend to be fine for cycling on, but there are a few that aren't maintained and will be gravel. I ride on some of those kind on my hybrid, but wouldnt fancy it on a thin tyred roadie.

You'll find that most are fine, but they can be potholey and drop away at the sides quite a bit, so watch that right hand pedal and stick to the middle of the road as much as possiblle.

Yeah, ive risked a few that the google car hasnt been down, have ended up in the middle of fields being attacked by hungry gypsy horses. I tend to avoid them now unless i cycle past them and get a look at their condition. Some are marked as cycle paths on OSM but are more often than not impassible on anything other than a mountain bike.

I'm a Midlander offcumden! :thumbsup:
I know.... but you have been resident up there for long enough to know that the people in Yorkshire have a very high regard of themselves ;) .... says the person who's family and in-laws mostly come from Lancashire (or Staffordshire or Wales)... :laugh:

I'm cycling to Yorkshire next week and typically have done next to no planning. I know my way to Cambridge but after that it's all a bit sketchy until G.O.C.
I look at a map of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire and I notice all these straight lines called 'droves'. What are these things? Are they generally cycle-able on slick tyres or do you need a tractor?
Whilst I'm at it, does anyone have a good route from Cambridge to Lincoln via March or any roads we should avoid or make sure we take in? Virtual (and next time you're in London real) pints for help!
Sorry I only know the area up to about Wisbech. I'd avoid the A10+A47+A14. The A141+142 are quite busy but ok early morning or late in the evening. Other A roads should be ok and as others have said B roads and smaller can be hit+miss.

So from Cambridge you could go on the busway cycle path to St Ives (3m wide, very good surface, no traffic and easy to find and get out of Cambridge, plenty of cafes in StIVes), then Somersham (road can be a bit busy during rush hour, otherwise it's fine), Chatteris (some cafes), Wimblington, March (some more cafes).
Alternative would be Cam->Cottenham->Ely (all ok outside rush hour, plenty of cafes in Ely)->Littleport (not on the A10)->Outwell (some shops).
Lots of other routes really, depends on whether you'd like to see stuff or get through as quickly as possible...

Let us know if you need some more info!

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
God's Own Country, for reasons only the Yorkshire lot would understand - which doesn't include me!
Yikes, don't know why I called it that being from the north west myself. My O/H is from West Yorks, they're not all bad, but I'm on alert for further brainwashing! :smile:
I live on a drove, they are usually roads that were, in the past, used to move cattle around.
This is going to be my first 'mini-tour' in the UK and getting to learn about and see this sort of stuff in the English landscape is what it's all about. Cheers.
Some are good some are bad, as above. If I'm plotting a route down them I drag the google man onto the map and see if the Google car has went down them (roads shown in blue).
Good tip. Looking at Google's images and how 'wide' the countryside is I can see why people from this neck of the woods talk about the wind.
Sorry I only know the area up to about Wisbech. I'd avoid the A10+A47+A14. The A141+142 are quite busy but ok early morning or late in the evening. Other A roads should be ok and as others have said B roads and smaller can be hit+miss.

So from Cambridge you could go on the busway cycle path to St Ives (3m wide, very good surface, no traffic and easy to find and get out of Cambridge, plenty of cafes in StIVes), then Somersham (road can be a bit busy during rush hour, otherwise it's fine), Chatteris (some cafes), Wimblington, March (some more cafes).
Alternative would be Cam->Cottenham->Ely (all ok outside rush hour, plenty of cafes in Ely)->Littleport (not on the A10)->Outwell (some shops).
Lots of other routes really, depends on whether you'd like to see stuff or get through as quickly as possible...

Let us know if you need some more info!
This sounds like good information, much appreciated. I'll investigate further on maps and perhaps get back to you but I'm particularly intrigued by Chatteris given the Half Man Half Biscuuit song.
Speed is not really the essence as there's no real need for us to arrive in Lincoln before teatime. My mate will be recovering from Glastonbury weekend which may become a factor and neither of us have experience of consecutive long day rides so it's a journey into the unknown in more ways than one. London to March. March to Lincoln (or rather the Thorpe on the Hill Travelodge) and Lincoln to Wetherby.

Top Bottom