Drunk 4x4 driver runs over 70yr old cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
That sentence is nowhere near enough. Surely reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon, DUI causing an injury, and leaving the scene of an injury accident should total 10 years at least. Unfortunately it wouldn't in SoCal either.

I'd like the sentence to be that he has to cycle everywhere, no driving, no ****ing e-bikes, for the rest of his life.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Something is badly wrong if that warrants nothing more than a dangerous driving charge. (along with the obvious drunk driving)
Even if he hadn't seen her before the collision, he virtually stops and then makes the decision to carry on driving, straight over her, which is when the majority of the injuries will have occurred.
Attempted murder would have been more appropriate

The thing that gets me is that he was 4 times over the limit

That means he drank the equivalent of maybe 8 pints - based on basic draft bitter as a ruler

No body drinks 8 pints and think "oh I might be OK - I'll just be careful" - when he got into his car he KNEW he was way over the limits

and as for the actual crash - lets not call it an accident - there is no way he didn;t know - didn;t even reverse and drive off around her - just treated her as a speed bump!!

In cases this bad I would think a life ban should be compulsory - no way he should ever drive again
we really do need to start regarding driving as a privilege and not a right!

Drago

Legendary Member
I might start one of those No 10 petitions, a life ban for road killers, those convicted of causing serious injury, and drink drivers. The ban should be automatic with no legal scope for any hardship bollards.

If this driver, for example, were to think walking, cycling or getting the bus is a hardship he should try it after having been driven over by someone in a Range Rooney.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
If this driver, for example, were to think walking, cycling or getting the bus is a hardship he should try it after having been driven over by someone in a Range Rooney.

Maybe just advocate a tit for-tat policy then ?

Where the Lady hit (Or suitable nominated person) gets to run the culprit over a couple of times in a fully spec’d Velar ?

Shake hands after. No hard feelings and move on……

Drago

Legendary Member
I've said it many times before, but its very pertinent so bears repeating

If I got drunk and recklessly - not accidentwlly - injured someone with my shotgun I'd never get my ticket back, not in a million years, and I'd be sentenced to share a bedroom with Bubba for double-digit years.

So why does the law allow and society tolerate such drivers getting the right to drive back at all, never mind so swiftly, following miserly sentences?

Sorry to harp on, but such road crime is so widespread and so benignly looked upon by society I struggle to comprehend it.

Last edited:
I've said it many times before, hut its very pertinent so bears repeating

If I got drunk and recklessly - not accidentwlly - injured someone with my shotgun I'd never get my ticket back, not in a million years, and I'd be sentenced to share a bedroom with Bubba for double-digit years.

So why does the law allow and society tolerate such drivers getting the right to drive back at all, never mind so swiftly, following miserly sentences?

Sorry to harp on, but such road crime is so widespread and so benignly looked upon by society I struggle to comprehend it.

I don't agree with some of what you say at times but I agree with this one

maybe not a compulsory life ban and sentence
but cases like this where there is no way he could have thought he was OK to drive
and then made it worse by just running over her and trying to drive off

clearly, if no-one had been around he would have just driven off and hoped - leaving her lying in the middle of the road potentially dying

so in this case there is no way he should ever be driving again

and that includes if he is the main carer for his poor ex-military war hero Dad and disabled kid - should have thought of them before trying to kill someone mate!!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't agree with some of what you say at times...
Fear not. There are organisations that can help you.

As an aside, it is quite difficult to lose one's driving licence. It takes real effort, either persistent minor offending over a period of time, or one almighty great piece of awesomely dangerous offending. One has to really try really, really hard to lose their drivers licence.

Having tried really hard to get themselves banned, why should anyone in that position ever be allowed to drive again?

Those who abuse other privileges that could cause danger - my shotgun being a pertinent example to me, but train drivers, pilots, commercial boat skippers, doctors, etc would all see their relevant licences gone for good - so why do you believe some drivers should be treated difrerently in that regard? Why should society treat others who cause danger so harshly in order to protect society at large, yet be so relatively lenient to car drivers by allowing the opportunity to drive again?

Give us all one good, sensible, unarguable reason why any person who has put in so much hard work to get themselves a driving ban should ever be allowed back behind the wheel. Then, having do so, explain why the above mentioned pilots, train drivers, etc, should not also enjoy the same right to endanger others again.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've said it many times before, but its very pertinent so bears repeating

Totally agree. It's almost a licence to commit murder. I can't get my head round why driving offences are treated so lightly :sad:

Top Bottom