Drying bike with hairdryer

Is it ok to dry the bike with a hairdryer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A wet bike drying organically replaces the moisture that the central heating takes out of the air in the flat. Besides, I don't own a hair dryer. And I'm not going to let electricity suppliers' shareholders make money out of fast forwarding a natural process.
I got chain rust with "organic" drying! :dry:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got chain rust with "organic" drying! :dry:
What kind of lube are you using? The wet stuff doesn't wash away easily though it will pick up muck. But le miquelage/Mickelreinigung should take care of that.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

What kind of lube are you using? The wet stuff doesn't wash away easily though it will pick up muck. But le miquelage/Mickelreinigung should take care of that.
Can't remember the lube I was using at the time, but what's the point of Mickleing the chain while leaving the rest wet? The rest of the drive train will rust! Better blow dry the lot ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Can't remember the lube I was using at the time, but what's the point of Mickleing the chain while leaving the rest wet? The rest of the drive train will rust! Better blow dry the lot ^_^
It's never been a problem for me. Residual oil from the chain transfers to the cassette and chainrings.

goody

Veteran
Some people have too much time on their hands. Replace any rusty bolts screws whatever with stainless or titanium and good quality chains wont rust like the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Some people have too much time on their hands. Replace any rusty bolts screws whatever with stainless or titanium and good quality chains wont rust like the cheaper ones.
Wot?
That would take me longer than blow drying, because I don't have a clue what to buy, so would spend hours on here trying to find out :laugh:
Anyway, only one bike gets the treatment, the newest, used less, with components more expensive to replace.
The other ones can dry au naturel :biggrin:

young Ed

Veteran
Had to Google that one :laugh:

The young people of today...:rolleyes:

Not young - not old either :tongue:
The English lingo of old sometimes escapes me, 'cause I got here after 1980 ^_^
c'mon i;m 16 born in '99 and even i know what a dunces cap is!
After giving this subject all of my undivided attention for the last day I have come up with a brilliant idea.

After you wash the bike take it out for a ride. That will dry it off.
round here that would just make it mucky, wet and gritty again :sad:
that's why i mickle with bike up in the workstand and once done mickeling i spend a couple of minutes just spinning the pedal with one hand and shifting both shifters (one at a time) back and forth over all gears, this way i spread the lube all over and i can pick up on any shifting probs ^_^
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom