Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I dunno ... that thread was allowed to run for 10 pages. Seems a fair compromise to me.
but that's the issue, if it was against the rules, it should have been closed straight away.......it wasn't, it was closed after 10 pages, stating against the rules.....now i can't find that rule, maybe it's hidden somewhere

I dunno ... that thread was allowed to run for 10 pages. Seems a fair compromise to me.
but then wasn't it all completely wiped?
odd compromise to let it run so long then wipe the lot.
A certain other thread was totally wiped as well.
all very odd.
If I was of a conspiratorial mind I'd think it was all a Putin distraction plot from above to have folks running round a big hamster wheel.
Or one of those clever stasi tricks where they entered folks' places and removed/moved their cuddly toys/candlesticks.
Could have sworn I had a table in that room.

play spooky music.

edit - I may start auto screenshotting stuff wholesale just to hold on to my sanity/convince myself that stuff actually existed/that I didn't imagine the lot.

Maybe Cyclechat doesn't actually exist.

Maybe none of us do.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't speak to the moderation issue - I've only been modded once, and if I remember rightly I was asking for it. FWIW, I always thought the move to this:

1647513532697.png

was a big mistake, and has significantly degraded the value of the site. Frankly, everything below NACA should be in the cafe.

It really pisses me off when I post to the cafe about my tomato seedlings or my leaky car, and soon find that my message has been shifted to Motoring or Hobbies & Interests, which all but guarantees that it'll never be seen again, or responded to, so what's the point?

I guess the original idea (and it's doubtless in some 'How to Start Your Own Website & Become a Millionaire' guide) was to try to establish sub-forums and build them to the point where they can be floated off and become self-supporting/cash-generating. Well, if that was the idea, it's not working. Look at the thread/post numbers. All it's doing is leaching energy away from the Cafe, which needs it, to some out-of-town ghetto where it will die unseen. From the user's perspective, if I, say, want to ask CC members if anyone's been to Albania and has any thoughts, I want to ask everyone - not the handful who, for whatever reason, have decided to visit 'Travel & Holidays' today.

It's not my site, it's not my say, but if I were Shaun I'd accept that, eg, 'Travel & Holidays' is never going to be able to establish itself as a serious travel site. Better to abandon the effort as an idea that may have been worth trying, but has palpably not succeeded, and concentrate CC energies where they can achieve best effect. Put tomatoes, dogs and Albania back in the cafe: that, surely, is what it's there for.

Oh, and from the little I have seen & heard, the moderation needs a review too. It has now, so I hear, erased probably the liveliest thread of recent times. If you wanted to kill a site by degrees, that sort of behaviour is surely the way to go about it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
agree with @swee'pea99

the many multi forums are pointless. i tend to view the forum as a whole on "recent posts" so don't really care where the thread is sat.

you need to have some moderation oither wise it becomes anarchy, but telling people off for going off topic etc is just bizarre.

its a chat , chats meander....

because it was you that mentioned dprk in your post
" Yes you did, you invaded Poland....":okay:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can't speak to the moderation issue - I've only been modded once, and if I remember rightly I was asking for it. FWIW, I always thought the move to this:

View attachment 635688

was a big mistake, and has significantly degraded the value of the site. Frankly, everything below NACA should be in the cafe.

It really pisses me off when I post to the cafe about my tomato seedlings or my leaky car, and soon find that my message has been shifted to Motoring or Hobbies & Interests, which all but guarantees that it'll never be seen again, or responded to, so what's the point?

I guess the original idea (and it's doubtless in some 'How to Start Your Own Website & Become a Millionaire' guide) was to try to establish sub-forums and build them to the point where they can be floated off and become self-supporting/cash-generating. Well, if that was the idea, it's not working. Look at the thread/post numbers. All it's doing is leaching energy away from the Cafe, which needs it, to some out-of-town ghetto where it will die unseen. From the user's perspective, if I, say, want to ask CC members if anyone's been to Albania and has any thoughts, I want to ask everyone - not the handful who, for whatever reason, have decided to visit 'Travel & Holidays' today.

It's not my site, it's not my say, but if I were Shaun I'd accept that, eg, 'Travel & Holidays' is never going to be able to establish itself as a serious travel site. Better to abandon the effort as an idea that may have been worth trying, but has palpably not succeeded, and concentrate CC energies where they can achieve best effect. Put tomatoes, dogs and Albania back in the cafe: that, surely, is what it's there for.

Oh, and from the little I have seen & heard, the moderation needs a review too. It has now, so I hear, erased probably the liveliest thread of recent times. If you wanted to kill a site by degrees, that sort of behaviour is surely the way to go about it.
i dont agree with everything in that post, but i do agree with the last small paragraph

T4tomo

Legendary Member
confused - yes i did mention north korea, but it was newflouse that mention dprk in his post and it was that post that was quoted, not mine...
it just reminded me of the Fawlty Tower sketch, maybe @newfhouse is German and @Arrowfoot dresses as Polly at the weekends?

AndyRM

XOXO
Personally I think there's a world of difference between discussing family members, people in the public eye and users who are no longer active here.

Unless it's been made public knowledge what's happened (I'm thinking of Vernon here), then what does it matter why they've left or don't post much any more?

As for the general content on the site, it is what the users make it. Generally it's pretty good, although I do think that the NACA section would have benefitted from other contributions from members who left a few years ago, and helped to balance things out a bit better.

I think we struggle to differentiate between someone leaving and someone getting banned for breaking the rules.
I certainly dont, two totally different things

almost 11 years here and i personally dont think cyclechat has changed for the better lately, but not my circus and not my monkeys and while here i will stick to the rules

Last edited by a moderator:

gbb

Legendary Member
totally agree on that point.......i asked in a few threads, has CC become like north korea, china, in over controlling what we are allowed to discuss
I don't really think so myself.
Politics was just too confrontational, argumentative for many contributors in this site, and while timewaster has a valid point (politics drives everything, cycling safety etc etc) to a point, its true of course but for many of us, its not the driving factor we're interested in. Topics can and will be discussed without bringing politics and all the aggravation that politics seems to bring with it, its just too toxic for many.

As far as the site being quiet, (its my opinion), all sites go through this once in a while, we have here before, sites my wife was a member of, highly successful and friendly sites go quiet occasionally, sometimes dissolve, sometimes leap back into life, sometimes with new contributors. Its all part of the ebb and flow of life n all that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom