Dunwich Dynamo 19th July 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
wafflycat said:
I have unfinished business with the Dun Run after last year's torrential rain.

I too have unfinished business with the Dun Run from 4 years ago & will get roundtoit one day.

I might do it next time in a bikini if I can borrow a red one from someone;)

ak88

Thinking of it with a couple of people from work. Been meaning to train for it as I have done nothing like that distance. My commute in is now 13 miles which I have no issue with, back home is the short route (only 4 miles!). Did do a 35 mile ride about 5-6 weeks back and that wasn't an issue.

Whats the level of fitness as I imagine 120 miles plus is an order of magnitude harder than my commute.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ak88 said:
Thinking of it with a couple of people from work. Been meaning to train for it as I have done nothing like that distance. My commute in is now 13 miles which I have no issue with, back home is the short route (only 4 miles!). Did do a 35 mile ride about 5-6 weeks back and that wasn't an issue.

Whats the level of fitness as I imagine 120 miles plus is an order of magnitude harder than my commute.

Well my commute is 28 miles daily and at the moment doing between 110 - 180 miles per week. Did my first 70 miler some weeks back and planning to ride home afterwards turning it into a 150 miler and as long as the backside holds out, I think I should be OK.

I would think that with you base level of miles is a good staring point, can you not add the 13 miles back home as well rather than 4?

Will1985

Über Member
Something which poses a conundrum for me at the moment is that of lights. Currently, I have 2 front Cateye EL-510s with an LD-600 and TL-AU100 for the back....all battery powered.

Reading reports of past rides, this doesn't appear to be enough for the 7 hours between sunset and sunrise, even with spare sets of batteries. Any ideas of a cheapish front "to see" light? Is a head light also any use?

OP
OP
4F

4F

Will1985 said:
Something which poses a conundrum for me at the moment is that of lights. Currently, I have 2 front Cateye EL-510s with an LD-600 and TL-AU100 for the back....all battery powered.

Reading reports of past rides, this doesn't appear to be enough for the 7 hours between sunset and sunrise, even with spare sets of batteries. Any ideas of a cheapish front "to see" light? Is a head light also any use?

I'm just eating lots of carrots at the moment and will tuck in behind someone with some decent lights when my smarts have run out :thumbsup:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
ak88 said:
Thinking of it with a couple of people from work. Been meaning to train for it as I have done nothing like that distance. My commute in is now 13 miles which I have no issue with, back home is the short route (only 4 miles!). Did do a 35 mile ride about 5-6 weeks back and that wasn't an issue. Whats the level of fitness as I imagine 120 miles plus is an order of magnitude harder than my commute.
I think there are three main issues to consider - comfort on the bike, psychological preparation and your fuelling strategy.

You may have the base level fitness to enable you to ride the distance at a sensible speed - but you need to get your bum, hands and feet used to being on a bike for long periods of time.

If you can get in some longer rides, do, as it will give you confidence to know you can manage longer distances and you will also know what kind of food/drink your body needs for this kind of distance, most people need to snack and drink fairly frequently, whereas you can get away with hardly anything over 35 miles.

Basically, at 3.30am, when you've got 50 miles left to go, it feels as if the sun is never going to come up and you're fantasising about your duvet it's more bearable if you're not hungry/knackered and wondering if you'll ever be able to sit down again.

The first time I rode the Dun I'd been riding commutes of 20 miles total per day, 3/4 days per week, and a 40 or 50 mile ride at weekends for 2 months beforehand. About a month before managed a 75 mile ride and felt ok afterwards so knew I should be up for the distance. The Dun itself felt like a long way but felt fairly confident and I enjoyed it no end...

Laser157

This is my first post in Cycle Chat.

I did the DD last year and it was a great experience. Take heart those of you worried about fitness - I'm 64, not got strong legs, have got a slightly arthritic knee and have a few extra pounds around my middle. I did the ride on a heavy Dawes Galaxy with some 'puncture-proof' but also heavy Marathon Plus tyres. I started about 8.30pm and arrived at 5.55am.

Riding at night was great fun. Five hours of heavy rain was not quite such fun, but somehow dulled the pain of the effort required. I was glad I had over-dressed and some people did get quite cold.

Lights - I used a 5 LED Cateye for the foregound (4x2500mah rechargable AA batteries) and an EL-530 single LED with (4 AA alkalines) which projects an excellent focussed beam for the longer distance. This combination was fine even in the rain.

Hoping to do the Exodus next weekend, but not decided yet which bike to use. Tempted to use my lighter road bike despite the higher gearing, less puncture-proof tyres and a harder saddle. May take the cleats off too for when I grind to a halt on the hills and can't twist to release with my bad knee!!

Will see what the Met Office say on Saturday morning. Then the Dynamo again in July - wouldn't miss it!!

ak88

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I would think that with you base level of miles is a good staring point, can you not add the 13 miles back home as well rather than 4?

My commute is via this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&h...0412&sspn=0.107384,0.279808&ie=UTF8&om=0&z=12

which was supplied by robjs in another thread.

Not sure of the taking the reverse back as I don't really fancy the East Way back in the Hackney area.

Anyone have good suggestions for a route from City London to Canary Wharf or around 10 miles?

On to lights - thanks for the info Laser157 - I only have a Cateye EL510 (which is a steady light) and a EL135 (which I use in flash mode). Thinking I might need an upgrade.

Any one with help about nutrition?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
ak88 said:
Any one with help about nutrition?
Some people seem to do fine on what they would eat during the day, others find that their metabolism objects to doing exercise when it should be asleep!

There's some info on this thread here: http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13691

Try to make sure you eat regularly, even if you don't really want to - that your energy levels remain constant.

A can of coke works wonders towards the end of the ride :smile:

Laser, hope to see you on Saturday at the Exodis - I'll be manning the roving tea van with Chuffy.

Laser157

Hi Baggy - I'll keep an eye out for you! Identification clues for me - gray hair and slow on hills.

I tried to register for the EE website forum but no reply to two e.mails over the last 5 or six days. Maybe everyone is very busy?

Can't decide whether to use my lighter bike - a Focus Cayo. It's easier to propel but has no mudguards, higher gears, narrow tyres and a harder saddle. In case I decided to use it and grind to a halt on the hills I've replaced cleats with toeclip pedals. In any case walking around on SPD-SLs is horrible. If it is likely to rain I'll wheel out the Galaxy.

PS as you can see I'm practising staying up all night!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We'll be easily identifiable 'cos we'll be sitting in a red van, surrounded by tea so say hello :laugh:

Don't think there's much rain forecast....

There are a couple of long climbs - but am sure the Cayo would be fine.
Personally I always go for a comfy saddle and low gears over any distance, but as I own a tourer and an Audax bike don't really have a choice to make!

karl j

quite fancy this, this year. Quite fancied it last year too but an enforced stay in Addenbrookes put a dent in that plan.

Anyone doing it fixed ?

Tynan

Veteran
defo doing it and there's a few others say the same

for fixed types, the london fixed gear forum is awash

OP
OP
4F

4F

What sort of time are people planning to arrive at the start of this ? 6,7,8 ?? Looking to book my train and don't want to end up arriving too early / late

karl j

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
What sort of time are people planning to arrive at the start of this ? 6,7,8 ?? Looking to book my train and don't want to end up arriving too early / late

Hi, quote from the 2008 FAQ's -
"What time?
8pm for a 9pm start. That's PM. Saturday evening. 19 July 2008. Careful, that start time isn't precise, people start to leave when they feel like it after 8pm..."

Anyone else in suitable locations of Norfolk or Suffolk fancy the ride back up the coast after ?

Top Bottom