Dunwich Dynamo 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Hello folks............

Anybody thinking of riding the Dunwich Dynamo this year? I have only just heard of this night ride and I really want to do it. Been reading blogs and watching videos and it looks brilliant.
I would be arriving alone so wondering who else is by themselves and are you planning on cycling back to London.

Most I have ever ridden is 68 miles, 4 weeks after buying my road bike, I was a bit shattered but OK. So I am thinking if I train hard I could ride there easy and hopefully ride back, slowly with plenty of stops.

Anyone else up for the Dun Run??

rb58

Enigma
There's usually more than one CycleChat peloton on the DunRun. You can expect a couple of threads to pop up nearer the time.

I will be doing it as usual, and riding back as usual. Only this year I hope to get further than 2014 when my free hub packed up in Colchester and I had to bail.

It's a bit of a Marmite ride. Either, like me, you love it. Or you hate it. It's definitely not a sportive though and don't forget it's entirely unsupported.

See you on the road...

compo

Veteran
Andy, you may start on your own but you wont be alone for too long unless you choose to be. After a few miles when the adrenaline is burnt off and people settle down you will find a group riding at your pace for company. The make up of the groups changes overnight as you either go faster or slow down and join other groups. As the old Nike advert used to say, Just do it!

Bear in mind that you can book a place on a coach for the return trip to London if that is better for you than riding back. Personally I arrive in Dunwich then phone my step-daughter who comes and fetches me. There is plenty of atmosphere to soak up at Dunwich for the couple of hours it takes her to get to me.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There's half a dozen of us doing it for the first time this year.
The WAGS are meeting us in Dunwich for brekkie and a lift home.

Most I have ever ridden is 68 miles, 4 weeks after buying my road bike
I did the DunRun in 2012 when my longest previous ride was about 62 miles. That was four weeks before buying my road bike, so I did it on my 16" wheeled folder.

Be careful, because a year later I did this

it's entirely unsupported.
Well yes and no. When I got a flat tire,I couldn't count the number people who asked if I was okay. And there are entrepreneurs along the route selling things like sausage baps.

No broom wagon though

You'll enjoy it, Andy! Sort out any travel arrangements - or, ideally have a human with vehicle parked up at the finish. Smile with satisfaction and trudge to the beach to view the green glow from Sizewell - to your right - and then start eating hot food! A couple of hours later, burp and enjoy the thought that there will still be folk enjoying their arrival too. It's not a race, you can make it fun and, in an ideal world, the only rule would be 'No flashing lights'. Throughout the night it will be a pretty sight seeing the trails of red cutting a swathe through the countryside but it is a right retina-busting experience at times. Some awful self-centred riders on the run, too - so get nestled in with a group and share the love - protect each other from the unreasonable. Find out what you like eating on the move and take plenty of it in every pocket you can. Two tubes, some gas, park patches and a tyre lever, and a chain tool - that'll do. It's too busy for me, but I have done it a few times in more sedate company... Go for it! @User10571 and many others will offer better advice than I.

First time 'doing Dynamo' :smile: You'll note that Steve's campervan plays a part, it was fledgling CC adventures (with snazzy shirts etc) @Sittingduck is a brilliant example of the allure of cycling - even though he had to put up with me a lot of the night he survived! Tony @4F, for whom it was almost a home fixture and all the crew who made it work. 'Seems like only yesterday...' I know I was a bit tired, having done Brighton and back the previous evening - I must be stupid. Nothing has changed in all the intervening years - except for the magnificent sittingduck! https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dunwich-dynamo-4th-july-2009.30153/

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Omg Teef! Didn't you know the camera adds 10 lbs...

Great ride that was :smile: Not to mention the bacon sarnies, courtesy of Steve and the VW van.

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yep will be doing again, this year will be my 6th and the 3rd year where I will be cycling to the start and then home again afterwards although for me it is only a nice 32 mile ride home from Dunwich ^_^

Last edited:
Andy, there's also a very active, lively, friendly, helpful group on Facebook that's been running for years (so, lots of experience and continuity): https://www.facebook.com/groups/DunwichDynamo/
:smile:

OP
OP
AndyWilliams

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Cheers guys, I really would like to say I have ridden there and back, thinking once I am there I can kip on the beach for a few hours, fill up on food and water and take a slow ride home. I'll see what my fitness is like few weeks before, if not I will try and get the OH to meet me there later that day then come back to mine for a few days break. :smile:

I am already on the facebook group, not posted or read to much though yet.

I guess closer to the time we will all see who is going and possibly meet up to put names to faces :smile:, not necessary to ride altogether either as there will be a speed and fitness difference I'd imagine.

I'm very game for this...............

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Andy, certainly many do just as you are thinking. It is my favourite ride of the year and I have cycled in groups, with a couple of mates and also on my own but it is true that you are never on your own for long as small groups of people form travelling at the same speed. The first 30 miles can be a bit frantic but once Epping has been and passed it settles down to a really great ride. More and more food pop up stalls have appeared over the years so lots of places to fill up water bottles and Torque bike shop in Sudbury stays open through the night for any real emergencies.

I am cycling down with 3 or 4 others and would imagine we will be getting down there about 6 ish for a few pre ride guinnesses and a bit of food so loads of time to say hello and meet up with old friends and new :welcome:

U

User10571

Andy, it is definitely worth doing. I think I've done it about seven times now - albeit not for the last couple of years - the sheer numbers are something I appear to be shying away from, but that shouldn't put you off.
What's your weekly mileage? Assuming you ride regularly, the old wives tale / folklore / feng-bikey has it that whatever you ride in a week, you should be able to complete in one hit without undue stress. Assuming you ride regularly.....
If you don't, you'd probably benefit from some rides to build up the miles in your legs. Just so you can enjoy the ride - rather than find it torture....
Tips:
  • Take food. Take all the food you think you are going to need. Although in recent years there have been an increasing number of pop-up entrepreneurial bacon roll vendors in the second half of the ride, the main, official, half-way food stop is not to be relied on - they can easily run out of food if the weather forecast and turnout is good. Depending on when you arrive at Dunwich beach, the queue for a full English at the Flora Tea Rooms could be > 400+ strong. Other breakfast options (The Ship) are available, but are very thin on the ground, and easily over-subscribed.
  • As has been said, take a couple of tubes, and some tools to fit them with. Check, or have the bike checked over by someone who knows which end of a screwdriver is the end you hold, before the ride. There's a camaraderie on the ride which suggests you needn't take the entire contents of your Parktool tool box with you. Figure out if your bike has an Achilles heel, get that fixed, and pack tools accordingly.
  • The return journey. Some cycle back, I never have. www.southwark.cyclists.org have for many years organised return coaches, with your bike travelling with others in one of several lorries. It's an option which plenty go for - I think the numbers repatriated thusly last year were 800+. If you can live with their timetable, and aren't retentively precious about the paintwork on your frame, then it is one solution. The last couple of times I've done the ride, once I'd reached Dunwich I've ridden solo to Diss, to catch train back to LST, a further 26 or so miles, along some lovely, traffic free lanes. It's a nice contrast to having spent the night on the road with 1,000 road warriors. Prior to that, and my top tip to you, is persuade someone dear to you, to come and collect you by car. I had the added and unexpected advantage that my chauffeuse elected to bring with her delights like bouquets of flowers, bubbles, chocolate & a blanket. It's a struggle to decide which is the better option for me - the VW Passat estate and bubbles, or the the 26 solo miles to Diss.... On your first Dynamo I'd go for the former if I were you.
Do it.
I did it because (in about 2006) I stumbled across it on the interwebs (It is the one single factor that made me buy a bike and return to cycling), and thought 'I must do this, before it becomes too big, too organised, and someone says "Risk Assessment / Method Statement / Entry fee / Conditions / Etc; Etc"
Unsurprisingly that's the way it looks to be heading.

Do it.
Enjoy it, it is not a race.
Go suitably equipped.
Don't let the twattishness (inevitably, there will be some) of some of the riders spoil your night.

Do it.
And then look forward cadging a ride on any battery-powered (small turn-out / different dates) versions which are offered on here - for a wholly different experience.

I hope you choose well, Andy, and enjoy it when you do.
J

ETA
There's an uncommonly sexy full moon out there tonight.
If your ride has one of those, you'll definitely be in Happy Street.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AndyWilliams

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Hi Andy, certainly many do just as you are thinking. It is my favourite ride of the year and I have cycled in groups, with a couple of mates and also on my own but it is true that you are never on your own for long as small groups of people form travelling at the same speed. The first 30 miles can be a bit frantic but once Epping has been and passed it settles down to a really great ride. More and more food pop up stalls have appeared over the years so lots of places to fill up water bottles and Torque bike shop in Sudbury stays open through the night for any real emergencies.

I am cycling down with 3 or 4 others and would imagine we will be getting down there about 6 ish for a few pre ride guinnesses and a bit of food so loads of time to say hello and meet up with old friends and new :welcome:

Couple of things I am worried about. The flashing lights of the bikes, does it send your eyesight mad?? I see someone said its a retina-busting experience at times :/

Also, I would need to take my own food as I have serious dietary issues. Just how much food will I need???

Top Bottom