Dunwich Dynamo 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ah, OK - thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a return to the very early GPSs.
Might be an idea to acquire something like the 20 - you can get reconditioned ones.
Does take a card - maps all free via whatever flavour of OSM you want - I use openfietsmap.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Would be a waste. I hardly ever just get on my bike with the idea of seeing how far i can go regardless of destination etc etc. If i had more time off then possibly. One of the reasons ive held off upgrading my 520

Don't use mine to see how far I can go roubaix - more a matter of not getting lost or getting kind of productively lost exploring stuff - there's a lot of interesting POIs on those OSM maps.
all the best, thanks for the gpx

Heres the GPX file i used last year, Worked pretty well for me

Only sad part for me was that i couldnt fit a map of the entire route for turn by turn navigation on my Edge 520... I'll try again this year only using half a map instead of the entire route from hackney to the end.
Roubaix - is that the proper route?
A while since I did it but your route looks odd at the end - goes up the A1120 and A12 for a fair bit - I seem to remember it cut through small lanes near there, and even a bit of mild off road.

Your route seems to make a right to Darsham, whereas I always remember it doing a left there after the nice country lane twiddling.

I do hope you haven't freely adapted it as I spent ages pruning it to a turns-only point to point route

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Roubaix - is that the proper route?
A while since I did it but your route looks odd at the end - goes up the A1120 and A12 for a fair bit - I seem to remember it cut through small lanes near there, and even a bit of mild off road.

Your route seems to make a right to Darsham, whereas I always remember it doing a left there after the nice country lane twiddling.

I do hope you haven't freely adapted it as I spent ages pruning it to a turns-only point to point route

Nope -- this is someone elses strava route who did the dynamo back in 2015 -- Like I said, i used the exact same GPX file to basically guide my way. I have no idea how to map or edit GPX files anyway.

If in doubt, follow where everyone else is going

ah - a strava fiend.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask if when you took this route you were with the field - or did they seem absent at times or to be joining you from other points?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
ah - a strava fiend.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask if when you took this route you were with the field - or did they seem absent at times or to be joining you from other points?

the field?? I am not familiar with this term. While i did use the gpx for basic guidance, I mainly followed where others went but I was on my own for for an hour or two having taken a rather long break after waiting for a friend who lagged behind and did drop out after the axe and compasses rest point.

Since you told me my gpx is no good. Maybe this one is a little more suitable -- I'll give this one a go instead

By field I mean field of riders. Wasn't that clear from the context? There are rather a lot of them on the Dynamo.

I'm not saying yours is no good Roubaix - just querying it. The last bit is very definitely different from the route I remember - and I did it a fair few times.

Thanks for that other link.

If you check that route, you will see it diverges from yours just after Peasenhall. Onto nicer smaller roads.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have no idea - Last year was my first Dynamo so I was unsure of the route myself. I only had others to follow. My last 30miles I was with someone else who had the route all mapped out on his phone with an app so I followed him to the end. I was among the stragglers

Last edited:

Redlight

Haven't done this one for 20 years so I guess I have to mark the anniversary by doing it again. Just booked myself on the train back from Ipswich around midday so I can take it very easy on the way out and, hopefully, arrive in perfect time for breakfast at The Ship in Dunwich.

It's sad to read comments about yobbish riding on recent events. That reflects my experience on several other large rides. Certainly, when I did the DD last, although there were the inevitable few who, frankly, shouldn't have been allowed out on the roads without a responsible adult, the atmosphere was generally very friendly and most riders were being sensible and considerate.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Haven't done this one for 20 years so I guess I have to mark the anniversary by doing it again. Just booked myself on the train back from Ipswich around midday so I can take it very easy on the way out and, hopefully, arrive in perfect time for breakfast at The Ship in Dunwich.

It's sad to read comments about yobbish riding on recent events. That reflects my experience on several other large rides. Certainly, when I did the DD last, although there were the inevitable few who, frankly, shouldn't have been allowed out on the roads without a responsible adult, the atmosphere was generally very friendly and most riders were being sensible and considerate.

I think the general consensus is that its grown too much in popularity and has become overrated as such. My first DD was ever so slightly magical though i could feel it probably wasn't the same as the ones before it

yes mine was magical too - the wonder of something a bunch of souls with a shared enthusiasm can semi organise - or barely organise at all. I am fearful after last time that it will have become an EXPERIENCE capital letters.

And if I see anyone doing a selfie and worse posting it mid ride my big lock may come into play. And a Suffolk dawn may reveal someone strung from a tree by a spare bungee.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And if I see anyone doing a selfie and worse posting it mid ride my big lock may come into play. And a Suffolk dawn may reveal someone strung from a tree by a spare bungee.
Stop it - you're just making me want to do the ride :laugh:
tailsluiceselfie.jpg

Reactions: 4F

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
yes mine was magical too - the wonder of something a bunch of souls with a shared enthusiasm can semi organise - or barely organise at all. I am fearful after last time that it will have become an EXPERIENCE capital letters.

Oh god no lol, i dont take big locks with me. Only a small cafe/cable lock. Big locks are too heavy and i need to keep things as light as possible

Oh god no lol, i dont take big locks with me. Only a small cafe/cable lock. Big locks are too heavy and i need to keep things as light as possible
I'm going camping/mini touring afterwards Roubaix (look out for someone on a green bike with a tent and kitchen sink on top) including the odd town stop so will need the D lock for that.

Be careful though - one year I did it a bike or two was nicked from the beach. I also know someone who had their bike nicked from outside an Audax starting point as the culture was very much against locking. Thieves are not stupid - these events promise rich pickings. Cafe lock fine if your bike is pretty much in view.

Top Bottom