Dunwich Dynamo 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I rode this three times running about fifteen years ago and the increase in riders was very significant, I dread to think what it might be like now, and the people taking part were noticeably less competent which might be great in some ways, but made for a lot more bad riding, passing on the inside etc etc

I rode to Ipswich the first two years, as said it's a fairly easy extra 30 odd miles and home like a rocket after that on the big train, the third year I bent the front wheel and scabbed a ride back with the truck drivers as a 'guide'

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I'm going camping/mini touring afterwards Roubaix (look out for someone on a green bike with a tent and kitchen sink on top) including the odd town stop so will need the D lock for that.

Be careful though - one year I did it a bike or two was nicked from the beach. I also know someone who had their bike nicked from outside an Audax starting point as the culture was very much against locking. Thieves are not stupid - these events promise rich pickings. Cafe lock fine if your bike is pretty much in view.

Yeah i heard. People dressing up like cyclists and walking away with other people's bikes

Redlight

I'm probably going to give Hackney and the Lea Bridge Road a miss - they're not much fun even when not filled with incompetent riders - and join the ride either at Woodford or even out at Moreton (thus missing out on the 'delights' of Epping town centre). Aim to reach Dunwich in time for a long breakfast and then a meandering ride back to Ipswich for the train. Will be on an orange Roberts with a large Carradice saddlebag, so do say hello as you overtake me :-)

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Will miss it this year. Mixed feelings. I am sure I would enjoy it, but I am unfit and I now live in Oxfordshire so it is much less easy to do without forward planning.

I'm probably going to give Hackney and the Lea Bridge Road a miss - they're not much fun even when not filled with incompetent riders - and join the ride either at Woodford or even out at Moreton (thus missing out on the 'delights' of Epping town centre). Aim to reach Dunwich in time for a long breakfast and then a meandering ride back to Ipswich for the train. Will be on an orange Roberts with a large Carradice saddlebag, so do say hello as you overtake me :-)
Will look out for you. I'll be on a green expedition bike with a ton of stuff and a kitchen sink. Fully prepared to be scoffed at by the racers, but as long as they don't run folk off the road like the last time i did it several years ago, i will be happy.
Am pondering whether your plan is a plan, it is tempting, and of course since you/we are pedalling from s e london, there is no cheating on distance.

Reactions: mjr

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Got my 'support vehicle' (my other friend who is driving us home) loaded up with booze :tongue:

Sad thing though is he lent the coolbox i got him to a family member who has then lost it. bloody tw@ts

I ditched the idea of having a gopro on me this year, I thought it would of been exciting to record the entire journey but im too lazy to go through the hours of footage and condense them down afterwards.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm really disappointed that I can't ride the Dun Run this year, so me and a friend rode most of it a couple of weeks ago.

There's a LOT of loose gravel on the road around Dunmow, just where you don't want it to be (bottom of hills on tight corners with adverse camber) so go steady!

We also spotted a road closure at Great Bardfield, hopefully it will be open again by tonight.

closed.jpg

Got my 'support vehicle' (my other friend who is driving us home) loaded up with booze :tongue:

Sad thing though is he lent the coolbox i got him to a family member who has then lost it. bloody tw@ts

I ditched the idea of having a gopro on me this year, I thought it would of been exciting to record the entire journey but im too lazy to go through the hours of footage and condense them down afterwards.
good decision - enjoy the ride in the moment.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My friend has had a bit of a headache getting his new bike. They were supposedly supposed to deliver Wednesday but it was only delivered today and even then they didnt deliver to his house.

Time was running out so he offered to pick it up himself from the depot. He got it home and I immediately told him to rush it to my LBS which is much close to him. He will have to pick it up tomorrow afternoon but at least it will be 100% road worthy and set up for him.

He cut it extremely close though. Ive been helping him look for a suitable bike for the last 3 months!

He shall go to the ball!!

robjh

Legendary Member
Will look out for you. I'll be on a green expedition bike with a ton of stuff and a kitchen sink. Fully prepared to be scoffed at by the racers, but as long as they don't run folk off the road like the last time i did it several years ago, i will be happy.
Am pondering whether your plan is a plan, it is tempting, and of course since you/we are pedalling from s e london, there is no cheating on distance.
If you really do have a kitchen sink you should be fairly easy to spot (although there are so many 'novelty' riders on the DD you may not be alone!).
I'll be in a small group in mainly white Cambridge CC.org tops, so if we pass you, do say hallo. Ask for Rob, that really is my name.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Beware whilst traversing London Fields and inhaling too deeply. You might just float the first 10 miles!! :whistle:

:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My friend has had a bit of a headache getting his new bike. They were supposedly supposed to deliver Wednesday but it was only delivered today and even then they didnt deliver to his house.

Time was running out so he offered to pick it up himself from the depot. He got it home and I immediately told him to rush it to my LBS which is much close to him. He will have to pick it up tomorrow afternoon but at least it will be 100% road worthy and set up for him.

He cut it extremely close though. Ive been helping him look for a suitable bike for the last 3 months!

He shall go to the ball!!

Good to meet you out on the ride today. I thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the first 8 miles out which was probably the worst I have seen it and this was my 9th Dun run

Top Bottom