Dunwich Dynamo 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My sister was walking in the area, a short while ago, and the Dunwich café was doing takeaways.

Whether they'll open at 04.00 or not, I don't know.. Can't see them turning down easy money, though.

I always thought those places along the route that stay open till super late must make stupid amounts of money for just that 12-16hrs.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The cafe owners have apparently said it won't open this year and won't even open next year if lots of people ride and there are complaints.

It's a dilemma now: Boris is allowing pubs etc to reopen on the day of the ride, and a bike ride in the open air now looks less risky in comparison. It's about perceptions, really, and it's hard to separate genuine virus concerns from locals (can you catch it from someone riding past your house when you're in bed?) from the usual NIMBYism.

I'm not riding and it will be miserable without transport back or feed stops, but the idea of a 2020 run seems less wrong now than it did before the latest relaxation of lockdown.

Unlikely i'll do it but i don't see a lack of food stops as a practical problem. For the last few years i've carried everything i needed. Food stops are also a social thing of course.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've done it many times without actually buying any food or drink from the stops but I did like to sit in the light and (relative) warmth for 20 minutes to have my flask tea. Also, treating it as two rides - a dash to the halfway stop and an amble afterwards - suits me as it avoids much of the congestion and matches my natural energy levels.

By the by i won't miss the beach cafe.
Barry mason used to praise the fabled breakfasts but after i'd had one i felt like another - somewhat on the small size for anyone, let alone an overnight cyclist. One of the last times i did it i rode on with some pals to woodbridge en route to ipswich - had a great breakfast there. Old station building?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've never actually used the café either.
First DD was a full cooked breakfast, by the next bay down nearer Sizewell, as a mate's wife drove to collect us and bought their camping stove.
Next time, solo, I just relied on what I carried before a breakfast in Lowestoft where my ride home was from (in a works truck)

Not me.

It had been in the diary but it rather crept up on me - usually the planets make it somewhat later in the month I think.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was thinking it'd be a dodgy wind to ride in.. Mainly a tailwind, but gusting everywhere, especially nearing the coast!

AlexB

Veteran
There was no way I'd have ridden it this year, but I've been doing it for around 15 years now. I've long since given up on mid-way stops and now take a small stove and cook in a bid shelter part-way there. I have to make sure no-one follows me as it's about a mile off route.

There was no way I'd have ridden it this year, but I've been doing it for around 15 years now. I've long since given up on mid-way stops and now take a small stove and cook in a bid shelter part-way there. I have to make sure no-one follows me as it's about a mile off route.
bid shelter?
typo?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I was thinking it'd be a dodgy wind to ride in.. Mainly a tailwind, but gusting everywhere, especially nearing the coast!
We did a 35 mile circular ride this morning. Must have got lucky, as we seemed to have a tailwind a lot more than we had a headwind. I think it started SW and veered W.

nonowt

Über Member
I live on the route about a mile from London Fields and didn't notice any increase in cyclists last night. I was out riding around the lanes near Epping this morning and I was pretty gusty, I reckon it would have been a hard work overnight.

Top Bottom