Dunwich Dynamo 24th July 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
Nice one Rimas that's impressive. What was your total mileage for the weekends riding?

thanks Ian, i've reset my gps computer when i left home for fnrttc. it showed 206km after the ride to brighton and 577km/~360mi after dunwich ride. second longest weekend ride this year, the longest being 715km.

tmcd35

+ the neverending site of flashing red lights dissapearing into the darkness. Quite magical.

God those flashing rear lights were anoying. Even more distracting were the flashing front lights! How on earth can anyone ride with them?

The only thing that got on my nerves more was my own front light. The screw holding to the handlebars came a lose so on every bump in the road it'd spin round and blind me - arrggghhhh. Thankfuly a welcoming pub between Morton and Great Dunmow was king enough to loan me some sellotape to hold it down. Then ofcourse the batteries went and I had the choice of changing them and being blinded every time I hit a bump, or not. Thankfully I had a small LED light by the front wheel that cast some interesting shadows in my semi-REM riding state :biggrin:

I think I've learn't a lot by doing this ride, even if I couldn't complete it this year. So for next year -

• Make the bike as light as possible - get rid of the rear rack and bag
  • Get a camal hump
  • Carry more food
  • Get some toe clips/cleats
  • Don't sleep the night before, get a few hours kip on the Saturday morning
and most importantly of all

• Do a better job of meeting up with team CC. I missed out on the company this year and feel you guys might have spured me on and helped me pull out some reserves, well atleast to the half way line.
Heres to next year!

Tynan

Veteran
riding with at least one other is so much easier it's laughable

having one of them sort a halfway stop and a final cafe service is even better

I've learnt a lot about rides like that from riding this one with more experienced riders

Tynan

Veteran
Got to Dunwich just after 5.00am. Couldn't see any CC jerseys or a likely looking van,

It was there briefly as Steve's swiss watch operation planned for it to be, but it got summoned 40 miles back down the route to take a spare wheel to a silly arse who wrecked his front wheel by drifting into the verge

sorry

MancSimon

I was a bit embarrassed to find a puncture just as we were setting off from London Fields. Not even sure I actually got on the bike before I noticed it was soft!

Thanks again to all the CC crew that I met on the ride, I really enjoyed myself.

I made it (slowly) back to Stowmarket which took my total mileage for the day to about 160 which easily beats my previous best of 100. Excellent.

cheers
Si

zigzag

Veteran
[QUOTE 645190"]

And that's the inclusive nature of TeamCC.

All abilities catered for from the sublime (Rimas) to the slowest (erm, Crock!)

Excellent team spirit and all being supported.

[/quote]

i wouldn't go that far, but thanks! what i find is that in cc there are people from very different backgrounds and able to contribute in many ways: organising and supporting the rides, writing witty posts, creating videos, sharing knowledge with others and just being really nice people. a fun and friendly community as the title says.

Sig SilverPrinter

Huge thanks to Steve , Rox and Greg for all their hard work.

Not much more to add to whats already been said.

Most of it was great fun , the last 20 miles to Dunwich and the 30 miles back to Ipswich being pretty tough.

Things that come to mind
coming upon a tandem playing Florence and the Machine
the man and dog
the group of bromptons speeding past me up a hill
people sitting on chairs outside their house clapping and cheering as you went past

I'm glad CoG has explained the AFC Wimbledon shout as I thought he was having some sleep deprived psychotic episode
laugh.gif

After saying my goodbyes at Shenfield I got home about 5pm after cycling round for a while to bring my mileage up to 150.
Went upstairs to get ready for a shower next thing I knew it was 7am.

Oh and I managed to miss out on Crinklylions cake again
angry.gif

You'll have to shout when a northerner is going to HPC for a FNRttC and I'll send some with them!

I invented a whole new cake for this one - coffee cake with coffee buttercream filling and dark choclate on the top topped with chocolate coated coffee beans. Perfect for night riding :smile:

tmcd35

[QUOTE 645194"]
I invented a whole new cake for this one - coffee cake with coffee buttercream filling and dark choclate on the top topped with chocolate coated coffee beans. Perfect for night riding :smile:
[/quote]

Mmmmm, you could quickly become my new best friend next year ;)

Unfortunately I don't (realistically) think I'll be making next year's dun run. It lands right on the youngest's 4th birthday, and I can guess from a year away that a weekend pass will not be forthcoming. Plus one of the things that I learnt this weekend is that I am not up for riding in London. I wouldn't have made it to the start if I hadn't been on the back of a tandem!

frank9755

Cyclist
  • Don't sleep the night before, get a few hours kip on the Saturday morning

I think there is something in that. I did FNRttC to Brighton the night before (along with Rimas and Dan), got a few hours sleep on Saturday afternoon and have to say I felt pretty fresh until breakfast time!

rb58

Enigma
I think there is something in that. I did FNRttC to Brighton the night before (along with Rimas and Dan), got a few hours sleep on Saturday afternoon and have to say I felt pretty fresh until breakfast time!

I was fine until I got off the bike, then every pore wanted to go to sleep. So, I guess the answer is not to get off the bike.....!

I don't really know how much sleep i managed between the Fnrttc and the Dun run. Four of us left after breakfast in Brighton for a groupsaver to London. No chance of a nap in that sardine can. I think all the students had decided to go to town on the same train, so it was a bit of a tight squeeze.
Got over to KX in 16 mins from Victoria only to find another packed train full of people heading for Rythmes of the world in Hitchin, so no kip on that train.After a sprint to the stables to sort Reds feed for someone to give him later, i got home about 1:30 had some food and drink then sleep.
Had to be out of the house by 4:30 to get back into town then find Liverpool street where imet up with part of teamCC.
I was surprised and pleased that i still felt ok when finally arriving home at 8:30 pm.:tired:

stevevw

Guru
Ok here goes.

I am so sorry to both Srocha and Leyton Condor’s groups for letting them down with the promised food at Dunwich. I am also sorry that I was so dazed and confused while trying to cook at Dunwich that I could not find the words to explain fully what had happened during the night makeing the van a few hours late arriving for the second time. I hope you will understand that as a member of Cycle Chat I had an obligation to help out a fellow member in distress even if he is a foul mouthed skinhead with no mechanical aptitude what so ever and a tendency to have at least one crash per year on the Dun Run. :biggrin:

Perhaps next year we can arrange for a fast support vehicle that can carry various spares just for such an occasion and maybe a bike rack to get non repairable bikes and riders to the nearest station. I will not be organising that though.

As Biscuit lives close to the halfway point of Sudbury perhaps he could be persuaded to arrange the food there?

I will probably be able to get a van or two to Dunwich again if any of you would like to use them for cooking etc. See what I did there? All the services we had this year without me having to worry about it. B)

Back to this years ride. I should have known that this years Dun Run would not be a smooth one when I broke a spoke in the rear wheel only 4 miles from home. Luckily the CC support vehicle was ready and raring to go, picking up wheels from my shed and Alan’s garage then speeding to my rescue. I had to use Alan’s race wheel as the chain whip was still in the workshop rather than the toolbox. Nice wheel shame about the cassette 12-20 good job I had a triple on the front. Tynan text me while I was on the train to London I replied and asked for him to get me a pint in which he did. On arrival I found he had given it away to Simon who had beaten me to London Fields by seconds. :angry:

The first few miles out of London was the usual stop start affair although the car and bus drivers seemed to be more patient this year the same can not be said for the idiot car drivers of South Essex funnily enough the worst being Audi, BMW and Merc drivers. Strange that, the language made even Tynan blush. All went well until I got a call from Kats saying that she was near the official food stop but had not been up a hill past a MacD’s and where was the van. The organisers had moved the official stop 10 miles or so closer to London. I stopped and waited for Kats to find me, we then rode to the CC mobile canteen. When we arrived nearly all of the others had been or about to be fed and watered by my darling daughter Rox and her other half Gregor. Zigzag and friend was fast asleep power napping on the grass verge, they had only done 180 miles in the last 24hrs or so. Wimps.;)

As frank has said the next 10 miles or so went very fast as we latched on to Team Crest Ilford peloton. You hardly had to pedal and only occasionally had to brake to stop running in to the rider in front such was the hole in the air they made. Great fun until the fateful phone call from Tynan. After what seemed like an hour standing in the dark in the middle of nowhere phoning and texting I set off for Needham Market. After a short while I caught up with User and we rode together at a very civilised pace for a mile or so when Kats, Sig, Luke and John crept up behind us. We carried on to the Needham Market “T” junction where the next round of calls and texts took place this time under the light of street lamps and very soon dawn. We then carried on to the lakes for a pit stop. The rest of the ride to Dunwich went well apart from a couple of visitations.

And that’s it another adventure over until next year. Hope to see you all on the 16[sup]th[/sup] July 2011 for the next CC Dun Run night out.

Top Bottom